Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The pictures you don't see

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know. I'm sorry, I was actually addressing some earlier comments from Disillusioned about pacifists and pacifism but I should have quoted his comments first to ensure there was no confusion.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Why?

oh a btw, the FIRST thing you said was this seeing as you can't remember your own posts. Get off your high horse mate, you don't look too hot up there.
    well tbh, its easy to say anybody who thinks differently to you and believes in what they say is *on their high horse* Its a bit of a crap comment to make in a debate. Im surprised at you.
  • Options
    It's your arrogance that's letting you down mate, it's more than acceptable to think that the armed forces aren't for you, and that they go to war at times and places that aren't right.

But you seem to think you're actually a better person because you haven't joined the army, and you're not, and that is fact. You've completly ignored the circumstances surrounding 90% of squaddies reasons for joining up. You're more than happy to sit in your ivory tower and say "you joined, you clearly love guns and shooting people and treading on puppies".
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

But you seem to think you're actually a better person because you haven't joined the army, and you're not, and that is fact. You've completly ignored the circumstances surrounding 90% of squaddies reasons for joining up. You're more than happy to sit in your ivory tower and say "you joined, you clearly love guns and shooting people and treading on puppies".
    Bollocks, youre twisting it.
    Of course If im anti-military, then im going to think im better for not being one of them - state the obvious. I think im better for not being part of an organisation I dislike! It doesnt mean I hate them all and wish them dead or anything cos i dont (charitable eh?)
    I dislike the organisation, and most things it stands for, and I dislike the mentality that goes with it.
    I hate the army as a whole rather than individual people, and Ill tell you what - ill compromise, because i know the army does surreptitious recruiting campaigns in a lot of poor areas where they have little/no job prospects, making it sound like fun fun fun, and entice people with their free degrees etc, so people can pretty much sign their life away (ok, not their whole life) without really thinking of the consequences.

The whole thing makes me feel quite cross
  • Options
    So hate the army, hate the way they do things. But you mocked the individiuals, you judged them, and you should be ashamed.

This thread was never about where they're deployed, or how the MOD go about things, but about the real live people who are recruited, people like me, like my mates on my course, like the kids who go to cadets for something to do and stay on because the liked how they had friends, and a future for a change.

Principles are an expensive luxury sometimes, most people can't really afford to pass up a chance like the ones offered by the british armed forces just because they'll have to shoot at someone who will kill them if they don't.
  • Options
    tbh, I can mock who the fuck I like. Im not ashamed of anything, and I dont see who the hell you or Kuntish (sp) are to tell me what I should be ashamed of, What i should think, who i should like or dislike, what personal politics I should have.
    If you disagree with the points I make, then debate those please, and avoid telling me that I should be ashamed of my views.
    Ive had my opinions changed in debates before, but never by those sort of tactics.
  • Options
    I'm saying you should be ashamed because that's how I feel when I realise I've been so very judgemental. I do try to keep my own standards before expecting someone else to.

I don't care if you change your view of the army. But for the last time, this isn't about the MoD or about where they're deployed, this is about ordinary men and women, that you pretend you're better than.
  • Options
    Fiend, I think youre being extremely judgemental of me. Can you get off your high horse please. Youre no better than me. You should be ashamed of yourself
  • Options
    I'm definitely no better than you. We're all the same, personally I expected a slightly better comeback, and you haven't answered the question up the page, but I'm not better than you.
  • Options
    good, can you stop patronising me then please.
    I dont think im better than you either, especially since you didnt actually join the army.
    Im probably not making myself properly clear.
    If someone does bad things, or thinks in a way that I really dislike, or is part of an organisation i really disagree with, then yes. i feel that I am a better person.
    It doesnt mean I think they deserve to die, or that I even wish them harm, and in actual fact, i wish almost everyone well in their lives, junkies, murderers, rapists, soldiers policemen, terrorists etc. I know theyve ALL got their reasons for the life they lead. Nothing happens in a void.
    For the purposes of debate i say what I think. I have reasons for thinking the way I do, and you have reasons for thinking the way you do. You may think im arrogant, I struggle to see why you dont all agree with me tbh. It seems completely logical to me.
    Im not hurting anyone - I strive for peace. I thought most people did, but obviously they dont.
  • Options
    I follow your logic SCC. It also appears to me that whilst a few have posted a similar response to the pictures and with regard to their opinion on armies/this war, it is only you who has been 'attacked' in a particularly ungracious manner. Your horse looks pretty to me *eiup- Katralla climbs aboard with no intention of a fight, merely a peaceful gathering of like minds*.
  • Options
    good, can you stop patronising me then please.
    I dont think im better than you either, especially since you didnt actually join the army.
    Im probably not making myself properly clear.
    If someone does bad things, or thinks in a way that I really dislike, or is part of an organisation i really disagree with, then yes. i feel that I am a better person.
    It doesnt mean I think they deserve to die, or that I even wish them harm, and in actual fact, i wish almost everyone well in their lives, junkies, murderers, rapists, soldiers policemen, terrorists etc. I know theyve ALL got their reasons for the life they lead. Nothing happens in a void.
    For the purposes of debate i say what I think. I have reasons for thinking the way I do, and you have reasons for thinking the way you do. You may think im arrogant, I struggle to see why you dont all agree with me tbh. It seems completely logical to me.
    Im not hurting anyone - I strive for peace. I thought most people did, but obviously they dont.

That seems really contradictory to me. Nothing happens in a void, yet you're a better person because you didn't have to take what was given?

I remind you and everyone else here, we all have the same impulses, and we all think things we'd rather not admit, and you SCC I bet if you were pushed hard enough would have a glorious image in your mind of a gun in your hand and my head exploding in a red mist... not that you'd admit it, but for a moment you'd enjoy it, because we're all the same.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    and you SCC I bet if you were pushed hard enough would have a glorious image in your mind of a gun in your hand and my head exploding in a red mist... not that you'd admit it, but for a moment you'd enjoy it, because we're all the same.
    what a strange thing to say ...i never have such images in my minds eye.
    are you well?
  • Options
    ooh a bit of controversy, that's what the p+d board's been missing.......i think SCC has perhaps a simplistic view of the armed forces, that's not to say i don't agree with her......the bottom line is they're not protecting our lives in iraq and afghanistan, they're protecting the foreign interests of our government, and one of the side effects happens to be thousands of dead civilians.......as a soldier you've got to live with that on your conscience, i don't think the majority go out looking to kill people for fun, if you're being shot at you have to make some hard decisions and i'm sure plenty of them question their judgement at times......i honestly think most people join the army to protect their country and see it as an honourable occupation, unfortunately they're just very misguided because they are just being used as a tool of the government, which at the end of the day is a tool of the rich elite........
  • Options
    what a strange thing to say ...i never have such images in my minds eye.
    are you well?
    Like I said, it's not like we admit it to ourselves, or even other people. But I firmly believe that everyone is the same, and we are all more than capable of thinking horrible nasty things.

Not that we'd all act on them, just that we all have our moments.
  • Options
    tbh, I can mock who the fuck I like. Im not ashamed of anything, and I dont see who the hell you or Kuntish (sp) are to tell me what I should be ashamed of, What i should think, who i should like or dislike, what personal politics I should have.
    If you disagree with the points I make, then debate those please, and avoid telling me that I should be ashamed of my views.
    Ive had my opinions changed in debates before, but never by those sort of tactics.
    No one's telling you what to think or do.

It's been pointed out to you how sanctimonious your contribution to this thread has been. If you want to debate the rights and wrongs of armed forces feel free to do so, and we might even share the same view - I for one am anti-war and always have been. We owe a great debt to those who lost their lives defending our liberties through the two world wars, and twice it was declared: never again. I live to that ideal.

However, if you will blast into a thread by taking the piss out of ordinary servicemen and women who happen to be serving in the Army in Iraq then expect to be pulled up for it. It's not big and it's not clever. And to assert that you are "better" than somebody else who differs from you in their viewpoint is arrogance in the extreme, and how you can expect to be respected when that is your level is beyond me.

And to katralla, apologies, my posts are directed at anyone taking cheap shots at other human beings who are risking their lives for yours.
  • Options
    tbh, I have far less time for privilidged people who go into the armed forces. Young lads from areas of high unemployment and not many educational opportunities I can understand. Middle class kids or upper class kids going into the armed forces I have far less understanding.
  • Options
    I think invoking the 'on your behalf' claim is a cheap shot.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    And to katralla, apologies, my posts are directed at anyone taking cheap shots at other human beings who are risking their lives for yours.

If you think the soldiers in Iraq are in any way risking their lives for mine (or yours), you need your head examined.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I follow your logic SCC. It also appears to me that whilst a few have posted a similar response to the pictures and with regard to their opinion on armies/this war, it is only you who has been 'attacked' in a particularly ungracious manner. Your horse looks pretty to me *eiup- Katralla climbs aboard with no intention of a fight, merely a peaceful gathering of like minds*.
    *gallups into the sunset* :thumb:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    tbh, I have far less time for privilidged people who go into the armed forces. Young lads from areas of high unemployment and not many educational opportunities I can understand. Middle class kids or upper class kids going into the armed forces I have far less understanding.

Fascinating. I'm not classist, whatever class someone who joins the armed forces is they have my respect and support.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    and you SCC I bet if you were pushed hard enough would have a glorious image in your mind of a gun in your hand and my head exploding in a red mist... not that you'd admit it, but for a moment you'd enjoy it, because we're all the same.
    :eek2: :eek2:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Like I said, it's not like we admit it to ourselves, or even other people. But I firmly believe that everyone is the same, and we are all more than capable of thinking horrible nasty things.

As it happens, I agree with this. Human's are capable of horrible shitty things. However its usually when placed in extreme positions, under emotional stress - we can revert back to very childlike black & white, self-centred and destructive behaviour. However, people who sell themselves to the government to do politicians bidding/killing when they have other options in life - well people like that I have little empathy for.
  • Options
    Fascinating. I'm not classist, whatever class someone who joins the armed forces is they have my respect and support.

What's being "classist" got to do with anything? :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What's being "classist" got to do with anything? :confused:

I'm just saying that I (unlike yourself it would seem) support and respect everybody who joins the armed forces; whether they're working class, middle class or upper class.
  • Options
    I'm just saying that I (unlike yourself it would seem) support and respect everybody who joins the armed forces; whether they're working class, middle class or upper class.

What you really mean is that you don't give a shit that some people's life choices are severly limited by economic and social circumstances, which might lead them to making choices that people in better situations might not make.
  • Options
    When I was still planning to join, as far as I was concerned the government would only ever send me to serve where I was needed and where it was legal and right for me to go. Some people still think that iraq and afganistan will ultimately be better because of wars there, even if the wars themselves were unnecessary uncalled for and unjustifiable. They at least have faith in the army, if not the government.
  • Options
    dis

P.S.
    If you think that recognising this fact is "classist", then you're even nuttier than I thought.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    When I was still planning to join, as far as I was concerned the government would only ever send me to serve where I was needed and where it was legal and right for me to go. Some people still think that iraq and afganistan will ultimately be better because of wars there, even if the wars themselves were unnecessary uncalled for and unjustifiable. They at least have faith in the army, if not the government.

...except of course the army do the government's bidding.
  • Options
    Yes, but the government only tell them where to go, not how to treat people when they're there, if you get me. The government don't make the decision when to bring out the berret instead of the combat helmet, or how and where to deploy etc, that's down to the COs