Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The pictures you don't see

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't see any justification there...

With the exception of religious reasons relevant to some religious people there is imo no justification for say, opposing the Allied fight against Nazi Germany.

well there is, its opposing the fighting all together which if everyone had that attitude there wouldnt of been an army on either side

pragamitism =/ conscience

personally i see fighting as a last resort, sadly enough half the time it's seen as 1 of 1st options
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    *apologies*

But I have to say it... surley it'd be "killed flying a spitfire or driving a Churchill tank"

:p But a very true statement, either way.

Used Sherman deliberately - they didn't call it the Tommy cooker for nothing, your chances of getting out before burning to death was pretty low.
  • Options
    personally i see fighting as a last resort, sadly enough half the time it's seen as 1 of 1st options

So do most soldiers - funnily enough there the ones who pay with their lives...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    So do most soldiers - funnily enough there the ones who pay with their lives...

they're the ones who chose to, i personally wouldn't take up a job that in its purest sense, is being a killing machine

the japanese army is a self defence force for example, or the swiss who are extremely well armed also, but only use it in self defence

thats the sort of armies i encourage, giving a country the ability to defend itself yeh i dont mind and i advocate, signing up to go on highly unethical and unplanned/badly planned invasions i dont agree with

in case of 2nd world war, we noyl got involved becuase we promised poland we'd defend them if the nazi's attacked, and the nazis did so we joined in

the 91 gulf war we stopped saddam invading kuwait and forced them to retreat

the recent gulf war, well we went there based upon lies and false pretenses, mainly to boost contractors profits and make it seem like we're doing something, and it was poorly planned what to do afterwards, especially on the american side of things in terms of winning hearts and minds
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    IMHO, to join the army means to make yourself a tool of other people.

DISCLAIMER: That doesn't mean that I think armies are useless, or that you must be stupid or evil to join. The first line of this message means nothing more than it says.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I bet they're the same as the boys on the way back from the union on a weds night. They're drunk blokes, they're all the same.

Stop acting like you're better.
    I think i am better than people who go kicking other peoples heads in on a weekend.
    I dont think we have that much trouble with people coming back from the union tbh
  • Options
    the japanese army is a self defence force for example, or the swiss who are extremely well armed also, but only use it in self defence
    Two poor examples. It's easy for the Germans and the Japanese to have small defensive armies because they have been the aggressors in the most recent global conflict. And the Swiss? The Swiss remained "neutral" whilst millions were being murdered in Nazi Germany.

I'd rather be protected by the British Army thanks.
  • Options
    anyway thats going off topic.
    Why did you start the thread anyway Fiend?
    Soldiers are nice boys. they all pray, they love little foriegn kids and puppies and kittens and stuff, and they wouldnt hurt a fly. They hate the idea of war and they never have to kill anybody.
    Is that better?

Im not sure what the fuck you want me to say?
  • Options
    Im not sure what the fuck you want me to say?
    Well fuck off out of the thread then.

I expect the thread was designed to inject some humanity back into the conflict, since all we here about Iraq is how many civilians or how many British soldiers have been killed by insurgents each day.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Well fuck off out of the thread then.

I expect the thread was designed to inject some humanity back into the conflict, since all we here about Iraq is how many civilians or how many British soldiers have been killed by insurgents each day.
    fuck off out of the thread because im saying something you dont want to hear?
    How dare you.
    there is no humanity in the conflict. A couple of staged photos and thats it!
  • Options
    fuck off out of the thread because im saying something you dont want to hear?
    How dare you.
    there is no humanity in the conflict. A couple of staged photos and thats it!
    Do get over yourself. You've added nothing to the thread save sanctimonious pomposity.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There definitely is humanity there. Not everyone there is the kind of person who thinks "Eugh, muslims. I have to kill as many of them as possible."
    Don't forget that most, if not all, of those who went there believe they're doing the right thing. Sacrificing themselves to save their friends and relatives at home (I call it brainwashing in this specific case, but that's beside the point). They do have many things to pray for.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Do get over yourself. You've added nothing to the thread save sanctimonious pomposity.
    Thats the way you choose to view what ive said, but I stand by it. Why dont you debate it properly if you disagree rather than telling me to fuck off out of the thread or calling me names.
  • Options
    Thats the way you choose to view what ive said, but I stand by it. Why dont you debate it properly if you disagree rather than telling me to fuck off out of the thread or calling me names.
    I don't recall calling you names, and I suggested you leave it because you've added nothing to the thread. You've taken the piss out of people who pray and you've belittled the armed forces. You've also insulted everyone who chooses to pick up a weapon and put his life on the line for the rest of us. Now, without wishing to sound too much like Col Nathan Jessop, if you're not prepared to defend the freedoms of the UK yet are willing to live under the protection that the Army provides, then you may as well go forth and multiply because you have no right to criticise to motives of those who do.
  • Options
    I live here because i was born here. It doesnt mean i have to sit here and sing the praises of the government or the army. I take the piss out of hypocrites who are fighting in an unjust war, and then have audacity to pray - who the hell are they praying to?

The army are not putting their life on the line for the rest of us or defending the freedom of the UK. Are you having a laugh? Theyre putting their life on the line because Tony Blair and GWB told them to, and that wasnt because we were in danger.
  • Options
    I take the piss out of hypocrites who are fighting in an unjust war, and then have audacity to pray - who the hell are they praying to?
    Such arrogance!

What gives you the right to dictate the beliefs of those in the armed services? Does it matter if they are frontline troops or army medics or translators? Why on earth would you deny them the right to pray? Why would you want to take the piss out of them?
    The army are not putting their life on the line for the rest of us or defending the freedom of the UK. Are you having a laugh? Theyre putting their life on the line because Tony Blair and GWB told them to, and that wasnt because we were in danger.
    It doesn't matter to those men and women whether the evidence was faulty. We are in the luxurious position of being able to debate the rights and wrongs of the miltary action. In fact, most of us disagreed with the war, but that doesn't make a difference to whether we want our armed forces to do a good job, to support the rebuilding of Iraq and to support the local people to defeat tyranny.

I'd rather they never went there and I'd hope they are planning the withdrawal. But to take the piss out of the ordinary folk who are risking their lives is too much for me to swallow.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I don't recall calling you names, and I suggested you leave it because you've added nothing to the thread. You've taken the piss out of people who pray and you've belittled the armed forces. You've also insulted everyone who chooses to pick up a weapon and put his life on the line for the rest of us.

When was the last time the English army did fight do defend its citizens...
    Not too sure the last time they went to war it was to defend their countries or, your, our lifes...

There is some good and bad men in the military like everywhere else, some do join hoping they will never have to fight or kill anyone, but well doesn't matter what position you aim for in the military you are train to do so anyway...

Some men did war without even wanted too, but by choosing to go to the army that what you have to expect one day or an other, and if you really don't want to go war or ever have to kill then maybe an other career than the military would be better...

As for experience, I have heard a lot of story about war, from my step grand-dad that fought 2 wars and is even the president of the last fighters of those wars and yes there is some humanitary here and there, but there is a big hate as well as some big horror stories that were puerly cruel and not military at all...

As I said, there is some good, there is some bad, like in everything else in life, but war by definition are not pretty thing and in every single war there will b some innocent killed...

Debate about war and military people are useless, pretty much like any other debates, there is always 2 side of the story, there is always the few nice pictures reported here and there and the bad ones as well... It is nice however to see some good ones as well and not hear about all the bad side al the tme...

I myself hate war and doesn't hate for say the military guys, but more those who send them in war when it is not needed or when it is for something else than for protecting their own countries and citizens...

At the end of the end everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views and that's what debates are all about, any posts as long as they are related the topic of a thread are good to take... And because someone else opinion and views do not match with yours, even if they even offend you, there is no reason for it to be shut down either...
  • Options
    kentish, why do you seem to think youre more entitled to your view than I am to mine.
    This is the fucking debating forum. Youre arrogant about your views, im arrogant about mine. I think I could ask YOU what youre actually bringing to the thread, because as far as i can see its fuck all, apart from a chance to have a go at me for some unknown reason. Not that I cant take it. I still stand by my beliefs.
  • Options
    Some men did war without even wanted too, but by choosing to go to the army that what you have to expect one day or an other, and if you really don't want to go war or ever have to kill then maybe an other career than the military would be better...
    Agreed.
    As I said, there is some good, there is some bad, like in everything else in life, but war by definition are not pretty thing and in every single war there will b some innocent killed...
    Agreed.
    Debate about war and military people are useless, pretty much like any other debates, there is always 2 side of the story, there is always the few nice pictures reported here and there and the bad ones as well... It is nice however to see some good ones as well and not hear about all the bad side al the tme...
    Precisely. Which is what this thread was about.
    I myself hate war and doesn't hate for say the military guys, but more those who send them in war when it is not needed or when it is for something else than for protecting their own countries and citizens...
    Agreed.
    At the end of the end everyone is entitled to their own opinions and views and that's what debates are all about, any posts as long as they are related the topic of a thread are good to take... And because someone else opinion and views do not match with yours, even if they even offend you, there is no reason for it to be shut down either...
    All I would like is for SCC to get off her high horse. :)
  • Options
    kentish, why do you seem to think youre more entitled to your view than I am to mine.
    This is the fucking debating forum. Youre arrogant about your views, im arrogant about mine. I think I could ask YOU what youre actually bringing to the thread, because as far as i can see its fuck all, apart from a chance to have a go at me for some unknown reason. Not that I cant take it. I still stand by my beliefs.
    What "beliefs" are those then?

Can you not tolerate one thread that doesn't criticise the occupation of Iraq and shows the soldiers to be human beings?
  • Options
    In my eyes...you are all cunts. :thumb:
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Yep, when there's conscription on the cards and the only way to stop the Panzers rolling down the street is to risk getting yourself killed flying a spitfire or driving a Sherman tank the number of pacifists rockets up. Funny that :chin:
    thats an insult to men of peace and fortunately we have had many such people.
    one day we'll look round and find we have no protesters ...no defiant and steadfast refusniks.
    what a sad day that will be but i'm sure many will still think it worth fighting and dying for. :(
  • Options
    thats an insult to men of peace and fortunately we have had many such people.
    one day we'll look round and find we have no protesters ...no defiant and steadfast refusniks.
    what a sad day that will be but i'm sure many will still think it worth fighting and dying for. :(

But fortunately not too many...
  • Options
    ive said what i wanted to say.
    I am beginning to remember why i started avoiding the debate forum. When people run out of arguments they just start trying to silence opposing opinions.
  • Options
    You hypocrite, the first thing, the very first thing you said in this thread was mocking self-righteousness.

Have a look at yourself, and remember, you are essentially the same as everyone else, the boys in the army, and the drunk students who start fights. You have the same impulses, and when push comes to shove, you show them, and you have.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You hypocrite, the first thing, the very first thing you said in this thread was mocking self-righteousness.

Have a look at yourself, and remember, you are essentially the same as everyone else, the boys in the army, and the drunk students who start fights. You have the same impulses, and when push comes to shove, you show them, and you have.
    where? :confused: I didnt mock self righteousness, i said that soldiers in a war zone that were praying, were hypocrites. They are.
    Not that I actually care whether they pray or not, its probably more to do with religious hypocrisy rather than the fact they are soldiers tbh.
  • Options
    unless of course they are praying to the God of war, which they might be, and then obviously i retract my statement.

anyway, i dont think were ever gonna agree on this. I just think that i think in a different way to you. fair do`s
  • Options
    where? :confused: I didnt mock self righteousness, i said that soldiers in a war zone that were praying, were hypocrites

Why?

oh a btw, the FIRST thing you said was this
    OMG now I feel completely differently about war and stuff. i didnt realise soldiers liked cats too!
    seeing as you can't remember your own posts. Get off your high horse mate, you don't look too hot up there.
  • Options
    Far better to be a pacifist than a nacionalist warmongering scumbag who actually believes it is acceptable to use force on others for the sole purpose of "protecting their country's interests". Which of course reads as "protecting our business interests".

And of that type of people, sadly, are far too many around.
  • Options
    Yes, but Aladdin, this thread isn't about that, most of the boys in the army aren't like that, they're just standard blokes.

The arse-monkeys who want to rape the rest of the world for their own gain will get what's coming to them.