Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Airbrushing my CV - not quite lying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I have a few questions to ask which I hope you can help me with. It also follows on from a similar thread about lying on CVs. I have always been mostly honest, only slightly exaggerating salary and roles and responsibilities - but this was only because employers were becoming unrealistic. Eg: every role these days needs a minimum 2 years experience in the exact same role. Transferrable skills is a phrase employers don't seem to recognise. Not even when just trying to move sideways. But anyway, I digress.

My point is this, I have had a very unfortunate experience and need to know can removing a job from my CV be found out by potential employers?

I can't see why because I am not saying I worked somewhere I didn't - which could be checked up. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes employers check NI records (a typical ploy to find out how many sick days you've had). Would previous employers show up on these records? Or on my P45 and P60?

Here is my story and why I am asking:
I worked for company "A" for a few years and all was going well until I had an accident which ruined that career. Despite experience, a degree, a career that showed promotion and management, I was now deemed obsolete....even though I was still in my 20's! All that was open to me was bottom of the rung, low paid call centre work - as general bottom of the rung jobs saw me as too old (hah!) and too qualified.

So I changed tack and tried a new career with company "B". It paid much less but offered commission. It didn't work out and I left a few months later of my own choice.

So with bills to pay, I quickly got a call centre job with company "C". Another low paid position. However, I experienced deep, deep trauma during my probation period as my marriage dissolved. As a result, my performance dipped and I was released from employment.

And this is the stigma. This is the crux.
I have been totally honest in every job interview I've been to but many have refused on the basis of my termination. I am now employed in a low level, bums on seat call centre job - on the same pro rata rate as a part time student. My history counts for nothing. I have now had to lie on my CV in reverse - dumbing it down in order to get the job and I have also had feedback from employers and recruiters that though I have got a job in such a high volume role, it is only because they are not picky and that any decent position would be ruled out by my termination of employment.

My only hope now is to rise through the ranks at the sweat shop call centre - and I'm sure you know how 100,000 to 1 the chances of that are. Even in a half decent call centre. More to the point, and sorry for being brusque, I shouldn't have to. I was damn good at my jobs for 90% of my career. My career history was impressive and I worked hard to build it up. But all that ended purely to injury. In the past 12 months, I've now had three jobs - including two bums on seats call centre roles and one termination. My CV is now shit! :mad:
No one will touch me, and looking at my CV, I can't blame them. :crying: I look like a drifter and a loser. And I am not. My life changed on two life changing events - my injury and then my marriage break up. I never missed days off or turned up late.

All I want to do is remove company "C" (and my termination) from my CV and say something like "I stayed at home to care for a relative" or "I travelled around Europe" or anything to explain away the 6 months when I worked at company "C".

So once again, friends, if I do this, can potential employers find out the truth?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unlikely they'll find out isn't it.

But putting in something else that isn't true would make you liable for dismissal if they found out. Depends why you got sacked ("released") too...
    its when they ask what you did in your apparant employment gap that would appear, should you remove a job

and then subsequently why you didnt account for that mass gap, for putting in reasons etc
    yes, I kow. Which is why I'd need an excuse. That is the least of my worries. I am more worried that they can find out I had a job and that I was fired.

See, I did start a business and I can use that as a fall back and say I decided to do that full time. Not too far from the truth.