Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hmm...not my type...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, my girlfriend and I were talking about things, and I told her how she was like, exactly my type. (Which she is) and then she told me that "I wasn't her type at all, and if she saw me on the street, she wouldn't go after me at all." but she still loved me tons... and it doesn't mean anything to her that I'm not...

How would you take this? I mean, is she saying that she isn't really attracted to me? Or just I'm not her type as in style, features, etc?

Comments

• Options
    For me it would depend on what she means when she says 'type'...
  • Options
    Preston said that Chantelle wasn't his type, now they're getting married.

I'd try not to read a lot into it really. Maybe have a word with her if you still need reassurance.
  • Options
    i don't really have a type, so i dunno.. but she's with you isn't she? so stop worrying!
  • Options
    I normally view type as being a physical thing, so I would take that as meaning that she likes you for who you are rather than your looks, although if she didn't like your looks at all then I doubt she'd be with you.
  • Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said - by type, I think your girlfriend just means you're not like other guy's she's been out with. This isn't a bad thing - the fact she's been so honest with you is a sign she's comfortable with you and really likes you, and let's face it - her exes obviously weren't that great because she's not with them - so maybe it's good that you're not her 'type'!

Most of the blokes I've been seeing/going out with, I wouldn't necessarily fancy if I passed them in the street, but because they started off as friends or colleagues at work I got to know their personality first. It doesn't mean she doesn't fancy you.
  • Options
    I view "types" as a physical, attraction sorta thing.

I had the same with my ex of 3 years. He said I was his perfect girl and he loved everything about my looks. He really wasn't my type though. If I didn't get to know him, I wouldn't have even glanced at him. I didn't tell him this of course :lol: My friends were really shocked when I went out with him and some of my friends still tease me for it now. I look further than looks though. Personality means so much more.

To her, a type could mean anything. Don't look too much into is. As others have said, its a sign she is comfortable with you.
  • Options
    My 'type' is a certain look in guys. Those are the ones that catch my eye first, but it doesn't mean that I don't find others attractive. I'm just sometimes blinded by 'my type' so I don't notice the others. When I do, I'm often pleasantly delighted. ;)

I wouldn't read too much into it. She's with you after all and said she loved you.
  • Options
    ouch! I mean that has got to hurt I think I would cry. BUT since that ins't the point what is a 'type' I think anyone who makes up there mind before they examine the person seems silly to me. But I guess I wouldn't have gone for my boyfriend as soon as we 1st meet but after we were talking for a while i knew i loved him. Maybe you should just try to slow down and just try to see if if you too 'match'
  • Options
    Well, it's not really a worry, I mean, we've been dating 11 months, and she seems pretty adamante (sp?) on continuing the relationship for quite awhile...but it's just more of me trying to figure out exactly what she means by type... I know she likes the punk clothing style, which I'm not really into, but I don't know if she meant that or something else...*shrug*

I guess it just bugs me, so...I don't know. It's not super important, but is certainly still there... And I'm an insecur-ish guy on the inside as it is. (whether they know it or not!) :naughty:

But I dunno... :impissed:
  • Options
    If it's bugging you just ask her what she meant by type. Then you'll know ;)
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I view "types" as a physical, attraction sorta thing.

I had the same with my ex of 3 years. He said I was his perfect girl and he loved everything about my looks. He really wasn't my type though. If I didn't get to know him, I wouldn't have even glanced at him. I didn't tell him this of course :lol: My friends were really shocked when I went out with him and some of my friends still tease me for it now. I look further than looks though. Personality means so much more.

To her, a type could mean anything. Don't look too much into is. As others have said, its a sign she is comfortable with you.

you make him sound sooooooo attractive!
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't really know what all the fuss is about... I don't think it means she isn't physically attracted to you. If she wasn't, then she wouldn't be going out with you. One can come before the other - sometimes people notice looks first, sometimes they notice personality first, but at the end of the day, if 11 months later you're still together and love each other, what does it matter?

Basically, I think it means that you're not like her ex-boyfriends, but hey, guess who's going out with her *now*?
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't really know what all the fuss is about... I don't think it means she isn't physically attracted to you. If she wasn't, then she wouldn't be going out with you.

Exactly.

I'm sure most people have been out with people who aren't our ideal man or woman, or even the type of person we check out in the street or would gravitate toward in a bar or whatever. My ex was the antithesis of my "type" (if I can really even be said to have one anymore) when we initially met because he wasn't fat/skinny/beefy/freckly/ginger/blonde/whatever enough for things to click immediately in my mind. But he became the most gorgeous thing in the world to me when I got to know him and we had a relationship.

Don't sweat small stuff like this, she isn't saying she doesn't find you physically appealing and attractive... take it as a complimentary thing, that despite you not ticking all the physical boxes you've got something special that she loves :)
  • Options
    So, i asked her.

Apparently I just don't match her clothing type style, and I'm not aggressive. She seems to like aggressive men once and awhile. :chin:

Now, I don't care about the clothing, whatever.

The reason I'm not aggressive is that I just I don't like being not sure of whether or not it will be taken well... Would it be awkward for me to put that fear aside now that she has explained it, or should I just leave it be and figure it's too cheesy to do now basically? :chin:
  • Options
    Okay, well, I just talked to her...and she sent the e-mail that explained her 'type' yesterday...and now she says it came out all wrong...so apparently I'm confused...again...
  • Options
    I say drop it.

It will piss you off, but you dont wanna fight about it :chin:
  • Options
    You're probably right. Although I don't think it'll piss me off as much as it will worry me instead...

I told her that, "I'm just not gonna worry about it, maybe it's a good thing, considering your other boyfriend's are ex's now. =)"

So, all is well I suppose. Still worries me in the back of my mind, but not as much as before anyways, since I know it's a style thing instead of something else.

Thanks all! :yippe: