Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can going to the toilet soon after sex affect you getting pregnant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a question - could going to the toilet soon after sex affect you getting pregnant? Only after sex I try n wait as long as possible before I go to the toilet as I seem to need to go soon after! Sorry to be too much info! I don't know what to do about it cos if I start walking around n don't go then of course it gets a little messy soon after sex. Also does it really matter in what positions you make love in, in order to get pregnant? I've heard that wiv a man on top is better n man from behind is better but does it matter if a woman is on top etc? Stupid I know!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Peeing doesn't affect your chances whatsoever, It wont flush sperm out at all.
    Apparantly It helps if you orgasm as this somehow lets the sperm in

And no its not a myth :p
    Getting an orgasm

Silly question but when you get an orgasm does it have to be during sex or can it be soon after?
    noog wrote:
    Peeing doesn't affect your chances whatsoever, It wont flush sperm out at all.
    Thats not true.

for concieving your best chance is if you try and keep the sperm inside and as close to the cervix as possible. Missionary is probably best, or from behind as this puts the sperm as high up as possible. If you go on top, it means the sperm usually comes out almost straight away afterwards due to gravity.
    Its best to lie down for at least 20 mins afterwards, preferably with your knees slightly raised.
    If you go to the toilet immediatly afterwards then some sperm will inevitably come out, and whilst this wont necessarily stop you getting pregnant, it obviously means there will be less sperm in the right place at the right time, so your chances will be lowered.

Of course if youre trying NOT to get pregnant, then going to the loo afterwards isnt going to stop it happening, but if youre actively trying, then you need to give yourself maximum chance, and thats working out the times you ovulate, making sure you have sex on the few days leading up to ovulation, during, and for a few days after.
    Sammo5 wrote:
    Silly question but when you get an orgasm does it have to be during sex or can it be soon after?
    preferably at the same time as the man, or afterwards, although you dont have to have an orgasm to get pregnant.
    If you go to the toilet immediatly afterwards then some sperm will inevitably come out, and whilst this wont necessarily stop you getting pregnant, it obviously means there will be less sperm in the right place at the right time, so your chances will be lowered.
    :yes: when I got to the loo after sex loads of semen comes out of me.

Also if you are trying to get pregnant then you should watch what other products (lubes and oils etc) that you use. I bought a bottle of a lube-style product yesterday which warned that whilst it wasn't a contraceptive and wasn't designed to kill sperm it could have that affect on some people and therefore you shouldn't use it whilst you are trying to get knocked up. But some lubes are fine, you just need to check.
    Pee upside down then :D
    Of course, you are all assuming that by going to the toilet, that she is having a pee. Perhaps it is also worth explaining that she will NEVER get preganant via backdoor penetration ... :p
    Teagan wrote:
    Of course, you are all assuming that by going to the toilet, that she is having a pee. Perhaps it is also worth explaining that she will NEVER get preganant via backdoor penetration ... :p
    Not really. But we do assume she sits on the toilet. The semen would exit her body if she sat on the loo for a shit too.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    The semen would exit her body if she sat on the loo for a shit too.
    semen will "come out" whether she sits on the loo or not. semen always comes out after sex. taking a piss afterwards i would not think of as a good method of contraception at all... bearing in mind it takes only 1 sperm to fertalize an egg...
    otter wrote:
    semen will "come out" whether she sits on the loo or not. semen always comes out after sex. taking a piss afterwards i would not think of as a good method of contraception at all... bearing in mind it takes only 1 sperm to fertalize an egg...
    semen actually doesnt come out in great quantity afterwards if you lie down. The only semen that will come out is the stuff thats stuck to his penis.
    it may only ultimately take one sperm, but men with a low sperm count have more trouble impregnanting women - its basic fact. If you put one single sperm in a vagina, then obviously theres a chance of pregnancy, but its fuck all.
    maximum sperm count = maximum chance of getting up the spout quicker.
    Were not talking about how to stop getting pregnant, were talking about maximising chances of getting pregnant quickly. Completely different.
    So basically don't go to the toilet after sex, just try n lie there for a while - semen does come out anyway whether or not I go to the toilet for some reason after sex it makes you need the toilet even if you have been before hand.

N yes we are trying for a baby - I just wanted to know what the best ways n quickest ways of getting pregnant were n what's best to do n what not to do. It was only cos I need the toilet soon after sex I wondered if it affect my chances of getting pregnant by the sounds of it, it does affect the chances.

Just wondering is it possible to have a period 15 days later in the same month to have a period? I did come off the pill Microgynon 30 1st May n started a period on the 5th may n finished 7th or 8th May. I then started bleeding again on the 23rd May n finished on the 26th May but it wasn't much blood at all or like my normal periods - I wasn't given any warning as usually I get a headache or stomach ache before hand. I'm not sure when to expect my next period now as I thought it would be due some time next week but if the 23rd to 26th May was my period do I expect it later this month? I don't know what it is - if it was a period, implantation bleeding or a possible miscarriage (but I think it's a bit soon for it to be a pregnancy). I did have alot of symptoms which I mentioned to the doctor on the 22nd May, n all he said was your not pregnant are you? He said just wait n see what happens in the next few weeks - I'm okay now just tired so I'm guessing it was my period and the symptoms were probably cos I came off the pill. Has anyone experienced anything similar to this n can explain to me what it is. It's now the 10th June n still no period!
    you might be pregnant then. It wont hurt to do a test if your period is late.
    I would if it was me.
    I did do a preg test before Friday I think it was Thursday night n it was negative. So I guess It's wait n see if anything happens later in the month around 23rd to see if my period starts then. I'm just not sure what the bleeding was as I was expecting my period beginning of this month n then that happened on the 23rd to 26th May n now just not sure what's going on. I guess it's a waiting game!
    Thanks for all you advice, help n support I really appreciate it.
    you should pee after sex anyway to avoid a bladder infection..
    Blairx0 wrote:
    you should pee after sex anyway to avoid a bladder infection..
    not if youre trying to get pregnant though.

Id rather get pregnant and run the risk of a touch of cystitis though tbh.
    I don't see how going to bath room will affect you getting preg. I mean sperm clings to you regardless off peeing. That is like saying if I have unprotected peeing will prevent you from getting preg. or lower your risk.
    Peeing after intercourse doesn't make a difference because, when you pee it comes from a separate part of the vulva, called the bladder, which drains through the urethra. ...

Your pee comes out of a seprate hoel and therefor has no impact on preg. but it is still a good idea to prevent infections etc.

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Will_peeing_after_sex_stop_pregnancy
    Im not sure if youre familiar with the concept of gravity, but when you go for a wee, and sit on the toilet, semen comes out at a rather alarming rate.
    If you dont go to the toilet, and lie there with your legs slightly raised, the semen stays inside you, and hangs about around your cervix. Semen is the fluid which carries all the sperm. If you dont have much semen inside you, your chances of getting pregnant reduce. It doesnt mean you WONT get pregnant, but if you are having difficulty concieving, then these are the steps you take.
    Contrary to popular belief, getting pregnant doesnt always happen the moment you want it to.
    It took us FIVE MONTHS of having sex every day - twice/three times a day usually to fall pregnant, and it only actually eventually happened when i started making sure i didnt get up and pee immediately afterwards, and cut down sex to once a day during the fertile times, because the amount of seminal fluid (which can take a while to build back up after sex) also affects how easy it is for the sperm to swim properly. Now neither of us have fertility problems, its just one of those things.
    Peeing isnt a contraceptive by ANY stretch of the imagination, and if youre trying to avoid pregnancy, then you need a proper contraceptive, but the OP is TRYING to get pregnant, and im saying ways to MAXIMISE chances. Im not saying that if you do the opposite to what im saying then you WONT get pregnant.

Am i really that difficult to understand?
    someone told me that laying flat on your back with a couple of pillows under your bum for awhile helps as it tilts things the right way.
    That's what I have been doing soon after sex I have had pillows under my bum to raise it up to help it tilt in the right direction for at least 20 mins minimum!
    Am i really that difficult to understand?
    No.

Watch Maybe Baby with Hugh Laurie and you'll pick up all the tips.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Blairx0 wrote:
    Peeing after intercourse doesn't make a difference because, when you pee it comes from a separate part of the vulva, called the bladder, which drains through the urethra. ...

Your pee comes out of a seprate hoel and therefor has no impact on preg. but it is still a good idea to prevent infections etc.

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Will_peeing_after_sex_stop_pregnancy

I do think, what with SCC being a girl and all that, that she *knows* where her pee comes out from :|

If you read her posts carefully you will understand what she is saying. She is speaking in plain English and if I can understand her, anyone can.

:banghead:

To the OP, SCC talks sense, listen to her :yes:
    Blairx0 wrote:
    I don't see how going to bath room will affect you getting preg. I mean sperm clings to you regardless off peeing. That is like saying if I have unprotected peeing will prevent you from getting preg. or lower your risk.

but it will lower the risk. that is, however, a very different thing from it stopping you getting pregnant. of course it won't, and no one has suggested otherwise.

more sperm = more chance of conception. the minute you sit on the loo, the combination of gravity and you relaxing your pelvic muscles cause the mass fall out that i'm sure all girls who'd had unprotected sex are familiar with.
    We call it 'The Drip'. We are so mature.
    Blairx0 wrote:
    That is like saying if I have unprotected peeing will prevent you from getting preg. or lower your risk.

what on earth???
    We call it 'The Drip'. We are so mature.

all the way down my bloody leg. :thumb:
    i'm just saying that yes sperm will drip out of u in a certian postions such as peeing but peeing itself has nothing to do with it. As you pee out of a different hole the pee will not flush sperm away. 'Squatting' will allow sperm to fall out but what has gone inside of you is enough to impregantent you... after all it only takes the one.
    Blairx0 wrote:
    i'm just saying that yes sperm will drip out of u in a certian postions such as peeing but peeing itself has nothing to do with it.

nobody said it did. the original poster was asking about getting up to pee, but the answer would have been the same whether she was asking about getting up to dance a jig, or do some squat thrusts or any other potential sperm-losing activities.
    'Squatting' will allow sperm to fall out but what has gone inside of you is enough to impregantent you... after all it only takes the one.

yes it does, but if you are actively trying to get pregnant, like the OP, you're going to have a WAY better chance if you can keep a few million up there for a wee while, rather than just the one.

edited to add: hahaha - wee while.
    very true... very true indeed. But I wouldn't count on squatting to lower my risk i will stick to birth control