Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The pictures you don't see

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, I know that. People with money become officers and do safer jobs.
    Blagsta wrote:

You don't know much about the role of officers then. There's no way as an officer I was going to sit back and let my men go into danger when I didn't go with them. Nor would my colleagues.

Look at the casulties in Iraq you'll see a fair smattering of officers there.

Fuck look, at Goose Green in the Falklands 17 dead overall including one Lt-Col, 2 captains and 1 lieutenant.

In WW1 the poisition with the highest proportion of casualties was platoon, with company commanders not far behind.
    Note I said "safer" not "safe".
    Blagsta wrote:
    Note I said "safer" not "safe".

But that's not true either - at least in the British Army, which has always put great store by officers leading their men.

It may be true by the time you get to rank of general than you're less likely to be shot than a corporal, but then most RSMs aren't leading bayonet charges either.
    Blagsta wrote:
    I agree with NQA, the only thing that made me safer was being a woman and not being allowed to serve "front-line" not that it exists anymore.
    even humanitarian/ peacekeeping whatever still are trained to kill. To be a cook in the army you still have to complete your basic training.
    If you go in to the army without realising that you will be trained to kill and be indoctrinated with a certain mentality (that you probably have to have a bit to even want to join) then youre much mistaken.
    My 17 year old step brother wants to join for the same reason as you Fiend. free university and he`d probably be put up as officer material pretty quickly tbh, but I still hate the idea.
    if our troops have been trained to protect the c itezens of this country ...what the hell they doing in iraq and afghanistan ?
    christians wanting to join the army?
    didn't your boss tell you to put down your sword?
    :) I wasn't a christian at the time. But I've got a mate who's just joined up, and I'm sure he's put the proper consideration into it.
    i have a few mates in the foirces ...i'll be going to a july fourth celebration with some of them and some yanks in amsterdam.
    be interesting to see what some of them have to say for themselves having been killing for the last few years.
    seeker wrote:
    I could only guess where you got that "thought" from.

What are you talking about?
    Vonnie wrote:
    Fair point, but exactly how are soldiers protecting "our" country in Iraq? I'm sure the citizens of Haditha are thrilled to have such fine, upstanding moralistic men looking after their interests.

Those photos are blatantly posed and Western-media friendly. Nice thought in posting them, but the reality is far different.

Our troops aren't protecting the UK. But then, where did I say I was in favour of the war in Iraq? I didn't, and I'm not.
    J wrote:
    . You also get paid more which made it ok.
    yer, thats true.
    Funny. What are they doing in the first one? praying? I hope there's no one listening, for their sakes...
    katralla wrote:
    Funny. What are they doing in the first one? praying? I hope there's no one listening, for their sakes...
    yer, "dear god, I know youre cool wiv us killin people an shit, were only doin this 4 U y`know, cos we no U fink America is da Gr8st evAr!"
    yer, "dear god, I know youre cool wiv us killin people an shit, were only doin this 4 U y`know, cos we no U fink America is da Gr8st evAr!"

"God bless America. Give us the strength, dear Lord, to rid this world of evil regimes, dear Lord. God bless America. Amen."
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    "God?"
    "Yes?"
    "This war is suck, man. I can't shoot civilians, but the terrorists blend in. I can't tell who is who, what should I do, man?"
    "You think I care? You broke my ten commandments long ago."
    "But who else will listen? I thought you loved all men, anyway, and forgave sin?"
    "I gave up on this planet LONG ago."
    "Oh, right, man."
    Maybe they're praying to go home safe, praying that their families are ok, praying that they don't have to make a life or death choice that day, praying that no-one will try to kill them. I'm a little disgusted that you would deny their humanity with your mockery because they're in the army.
    lol. I'm not denying their humanity... It is exactly aspects of their humanity I am mocking...
    Don't forget that you have them too. We are all the same, all have the same impulses. To say otherwise IS to deny their humanity, mock them you're mocking yourself. They're average blokes most of them. They don't take cash for blood, they get paid because that's the only chance they had.
    aw, no.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Don't forget that you have them too. We are all the same, all have the same impulses. To say otherwise IS to deny their humanity, mock them you're mocking yourself. They're average blokes most of them. They don't take cash for blood, they get paid because that's the only chance they had.
    bollocks.
    Youre kidding yourself. Humanity isnt about joining an organisation that starts/joins in wars. Theyre not just ordinary everyday blokes. Theyre trained killers and they are nothing like me.
    Theyre hitmen. Dress it up how you like. if the officer in charge told them to kill someone, theyd do it. They have to.
    If you cant handle the thought of killing someone then the army isnt really a good idea for you. Itd be stupid to go into that and think, well fingers crossed, hopefully I wont have to kill anyone at all.
    Its what its all about. Theyre not a peaceful organisation. Youre thick if you think it is.
    thanks. I realise what the army does. But you're fooling yourself if you really think anyone on here is essentially different, because you're not.
    Youre kidding yourself. Humanity isnt about joining an organisation that starts/joins in wars. Theyre not just ordinary everyday blokes. Theyre trained killers and they are nothing like me.

Absolutely. They're a lot better than you.

Unless you’re an absolutist pacifist that rejects personal self-defence the armed forces is a form of collective self-defence. Allied troops that fought Nazi Germany were not inhumane. There is nothing inherently inhumane about joining the armed forces unless you do not believe a nation has a right to self-defence.

War is sometimes necessary, or do you think Britain was wrong to fight Nazi Germany? Or the NATO campaign in Kosovo?
    Theyre hitmen. Dress it up how you like. if the officer in charge told them to kill someone, theyd do it. They have to.

No they're not. You don't really have any idea how wars work do you? An Iraqi is rude to a British officer, that officer doesn't then order a soldier to shoot the Iraqi. In WWII officers didn't go around pointing at random Germans and asking soldiers to shoot them...Really what are you on about?
    Theyre not a peaceful organisation. Youre thick if you think it is.

:confused: The armed forces isn't some kind of inherent community of warmongers. It's subordinate to elected politicians, it carries out the policies of democratically elected governments. There's all sorts of circumstances the forces are used in; peacekeeping, humanitarian disasters as well as war. And unfortunately the latter is sometimes necessary.
    bollocks.
    If you cant handle the thought of killing someone then the army isnt really a good idea for you. Itd be stupid to go into that and think, well fingers crossed, hopefully I wont have to kill anyone at all.
    Its what its all about. Theyre not a peaceful organisation. Youre thick if you think it is.
    What senseless drivel.

We all know that the armed services are called upon to kill people. Everyone who joins up must be prepared for that possibility. But to suggest that soldiers sign up to do that, or that they have no feeling about having to take a shot is just idiotic.
    Kentish wrote:
    What senseless drivel.

:thumb: I think that sums it up, about all that needs to be said really.
    Kentish wrote:
    What senseless drivel.

Agreed.

When you know fuck all about something it's better to keep your mouth shut, then to spout out a load of crap :thumb:
    bollocks.

Quite possibly the most moronic rubbish I've seen on this baord.
    Youre kidding yourself. Humanity isnt about joining an organisation that starts/joins in wars. Theyre not just ordinary everyday blokes. Theyre trained killers

Actually they are every day blokes. Chances are yu'd meet your average squaddie and be unable to tell him apart from your average eighteen your old. You'd get muddled up between students and subalterns if you saw one in the street.
    and they are nothing like me.

That's because most of them don't talk judgemental, ill-informed bollocks.

No they're wouldn't. If it is an illegal order, not only do they have the right to refuse, they are under an obligation to refuse.

Well the first sentence is right, but the second is so off the wall its bouncing down the street like a pogo stick. I kept my fingers crossed I didn't have to kill anyone. if the situation demanded it I would have done, but all in all I'd rather be having a drink down the mess than shooting someone dead. Most of the soldiers I knew didn't want to kill people. Those who joined the army because they did want to kill are soon weeded out - the last thing your average infantry battalion wants is a psychotic who just wants to slot someone for fun.
    bollocks.

why after some thought, i decided to not join RAF, yeh i'd be just an air traffic control guy, but i'd be aiding planes in blowing up civilians aka collateral
    Well said NQA, very well said indeed!
    Kentish wrote:
    What senseless drivel.

We all know that the armed services are called upon to kill people. Everyone who joins up must be prepared for that possibility. But to suggest that soldiers sign up to do that, or that they have no feeling about having to take a shot is just idiotic.
    I didnt suggest soldiers sign up just to kill people, but they sign up being ok with the fact they might have to, which is why I could never do it, and why theyre not like me.
    They are trained to kill - deny that?
    Why is that senseless drivel?
    They are trained to kill, they have to have a certain mentality to want to go into the army in the first place.
    and I am a pacifist, but self defense is different, but it seems to me, a big part of the army isnt even about self defense at all. Look at the last two wars, unless you want to attack someone, and then when they hit you back, and then you kill them, thats self defense?