Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Meeting her for the first time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I hope some of the regulars remember my earlier posts, well the time has come and I'm meeting the most perfect girl the world next Saturday.

We've talked a little, upto half an hour at times, and well this will be the first proper planned meet.

What I was wondering was...what sort of things is it ok to talk about and what to avoid? I'm guessing politics and the war are a no go this early on.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Conversation kind of naturally happens. There is always food movies and music if you share an of those things you can talk about your experiences at concerts, resturants, etc. I would say mostly I have talked about different experiences that are funny or may be shared with the other person. Don't worry to much about what to say or you'll end up censoring yourself and looking akward
    avoid talking about marriage and children and psycho exes
    Haha you really are quite inept when it comes to women. Just relax and be yourself, if she's the one for you then the conversation will come naturally, don't need internet buddies to tell you what to talk about.

What I was wondering was...what sort of things is it ok to talk about and what to avoid? I'm guessing politics and the war are a no go this early on.

are you being serious?
    Have to say I reckon it's an OK question to ask - I know what it's like to think you've not a lot to say for yourself.

I think you're fine though mate, you just need to relax. If you act all tense and nervous then you're more likely to get awkward silences. Just be interested in her and don't start on about any exes or the future or anything too deep.
    When i met someone offline for the first time recently i was stressing out over what to talk about but in the end conversation just developed itself and in the end all was fine.

The more you over think it the more you will panic about what to say so the key is to just relax about it all conversation will sort itself out.
    EDN1 wrote:
    When i met someone offline for the first time recently i was stressing out over what to talk about but in the end conversation just developed itself and in the end all was fine.

The more you over think it the more you will panic about what to say so the key is to just relax about it all conversation will sort itself out.

Thsi is true. When I met someone off the internet (as a friend; nothing more) it just came naturally and in the end it was alright.
    I think everyone is right about letting things naturally progress, thats kinda whats been happening before. I guess since I'm new at all this, I just wanted to know if there were some hidden rules to this sort of thing.

But yeah, I'm never nervous around her, just excited :)
    I met my boyfriend offline, and I was nervous, and we met 3 times before I asked him out, and it was always awkward at the start but it got better :)

I've met some mates offline too. Only one person was really difficult to make converstation with :s

It really depends on the person
    Don't plan what to talk about otherwise you'll end up with horrible silences and you'll be thinking "Ummm, what do I ask her now?". Just talk about something you both have in common.
    make sure you ask her questions about herself and show that you are interested in what she has to say. theres nothing worse than sat there listening to some self-obsessed egomaniac.
    There's nothing wrong with the odd silent moment! Some people, under pressure, start babbling when they think there has been a long pause in conversation. Just relax and go with the flow.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I remember meeting the boy for the first time IRL. He drove 250 odd miles to see me and I threw him out straightaway over a couple of dumb, awkward moments. DON'T do that :p

Just relax, take it easy, awkward moments are ok, talk about your interests, ask about her etc etc.
    I hope some of the regulars remember my earlier posts, well the time has come and I'm meeting the most perfect girl the world next Saturday.

We've talked a little, upto half an hour at times, and well this will be the first proper planned meet.

i'm so happy for you, you'll be fine just relax, the conversation will just come naturally. :heart:
    lipsy wrote:
    make sure you ask her questions about herself and show that you are interested in what she has to say. theres nothing worse than sat there listening to some self-obsessed egomaniac.

I don't know how you cope with yourself Miss Lipsy :p.
    I actually like political talk, talk about films, music, anything mentally stimulating, provided the other person isn't dumb.

But then I'm wierd.
    But then I'm wierd.
    I don't want to spout clichés, but there's nothing wrong with weird. This is coming from a person who was labelled all sorts of things at school (including weird). This might sound harsh, but I actually pity those who consider themselves to be normal, because they seem a little boring, and they probably know it.

I think a lot of people have basically said to act natural and not plan things, I think I'm going to stop asking for advice about this and just be myself. That way she gets to know me, and not the way I'd like to appear, if that makes sense.

I cant wait for next Saturday now.
    You shouldn't have to plan what questions you are going to ask to be honest.

I find it very easy to talk to random new people though. I just let the conversation flow. I never plan what I'm going to say.

If you have spoken to her lots on the phone then it shouldn't be any different when you meet her for the first time. Just act like you do on the phone.
    I remeber I swore a shitload when I first met him, I was so nervous...

So did I everyone from where I live does... but come to find out he absoulted hated it and I have since cut down considerable
    Haha, he said to me, "you're swearing a LOT!"
    and I was like : "Ah shit! oops I mean sorry, um yea..."

He knew it was because I was nervous :S
    Haha, he said to me, "you're swearing a LOT!"
    and I was like : "Ah shit! oops I mean sorry, um yea..."

He knew it was because I was nervous :S
    Thats cute :)

seriously? When I met two people off the internet a few weeks ago, we just asked each other questions about random stuff and talking about other people.
    I don't want to spout clichés, but there's nothing wrong with weird. This is coming from a person who was labelled all sorts of things at school (including weird). This might sound harsh, but I actually pity those who consider themselves to be normal, because they seem a little boring, and they probably know it.

I think a lot of people have basically said to act natural and not plan things, I think I'm going to stop asking for advice about this and just be myself. That way she gets to know me, and not the way I'd like to appear, if that makes sense.

I cant wait for next Saturday now.
    I was kinda kidding, I just consider myself to be me.

I actually go out of my way to avoid people who call themselves "wierd" or "different" or "unique" as in my experience they're normally just average and boring and quite possibly emo.

The most interesting people hang themselves off hooks, meditate, pierce their genitals, tie themselves to trees, write beautiful music, take brilliant photographs and share their beds with their pets. So they'll just sit there and talk about fire-walking or nudist beaches or independent cinema as if they've just popped to town to get a loaf of bread... Unique people who don't know they're unique. :)
    I actually go out of my way to avoid people who call themselves "wierd" or "different" or "unique" as in my experience they're normally just average and boring and quite possibly emo.
    :lol: Everytime, guarenteed.