Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's this on my pay slip?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have some money that I get paid everything month with my salary, under the heading 'Basic Adjustment' on my payslip.
I plan on speaking to my USELESS payroll department soon but does anyone have any idea what this basic adjustment thing might be?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    have you been late or missed days that you aint been paid for or something?
    Is it an adjustment thats gone on or off?
    it's money that's been added on to my pay slip and totally random amounts eg one month it was nearly £700, next month £37, then £200 and something
    oooo dont complain then. hehe

overtime? or worked bank holidays or something?

other than that im drawing a blank
    Perhaps they have a bonus scheme where you work?
    My basic adjustments in my old job where if they over or underpaid me for a particular month. If mine was a bonus it stated it as such.
    Have you come off an emergency tax code? It could be a repayment/collection of tax. Why not speak to the payroll department, we can only really hazard a guess here
    oh it's all a big mess.my grade changed every month since i started my job so the basic adjustment in month 2 was the back pay for month 1 say, but then in month 3 my grade went up so i needed back pay for month 1 and 2 etc etc
    i wish they'd made it a bit clearer on the pay slip though and im suspicious that they still havent paid me the full amount im owed. thanks for the replies, looks as though the mystery is solved.

and yes i have come off the emergency tax code recently, owed £600 in tax back.does anyone know how long it takes for the inland revenue to refund roughly?
    and yes i have come off the emergency tax code recently, owed £600 in tax back.does anyone know how long it takes for the inland revenue to refund roughly?

They had a backlog a couple of months ago, took me about a month or so to get mine back? Still reckon I'm owed more, I think they didn't tax me at all one week, and that was it.

Saying that I had the same thing a couple of years back and I got refunded £900 because I didn't realise I'd been paying emergency tax for about a year :o

That came back to me literally the same week my tax code got changed.

I think if you've an incompetent payroll department then it makes it harder.
    Ditto, and I'm owed about £200. They changed my tax code way back in December (right after I quit the job they changed the code for, actually), and said something about the end of the tax year being at the beginning of April, and I haven't had my little rebate yet.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Franki wrote:
    Ditto, and I'm owed about £200. They changed my tax code way back in December (right after I quit the job they changed the code for, actually), and said something about the end of the tax year being at the beginning of April, and I haven't had my little rebate yet.
    Have you got your P46?
    If so, write to your local dept asking them to review your 05/06 year, and enclose your P46.
    If you havent, call either the IR or your last employer
    ...however while you're at it, find out how long mine will be! :p
    took them 8 months to get my tax sorted out, fair enough i was only owed £100 or so and i didnt do anything about it, infact i totally forgot about it until this nice cheque turned up in the post
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Have you got your P46?
    If so, write to your local dept asking them to review your 05/06 year, and enclose your P46.
    If you havent, call either the IR or your last employer
    ...however while you're at it, find out how long mine will be! :p

Send in the P60, A P46 will get you absolutely nowhere.

Any In year changes to your code should create a repayment (should one be due) during the month your code is changed as your employer actually administers this when they do the payroll. Once the year has ended and you want to claim any repayment then send in your P60 with a covering letter and they can assess it for you. If your expecting it to be done automatically you will be waiting a long time.
    i wish they'd made it a bit clearer on the pay slip though

Just sticking up for payroll administrators (as I am one myself!), you'd probably find that's the system's fault, not the payroll department's! There are only so many options you can pick from on many payroll systems and they're never very obvious about what they actually mean! I get the same queries every month.. :banghead: