Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

14 years in jail for possessing 10 joints' worth of pot

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    I agree that's madness, but that's not what I asked you.

Do you think it's a reasonable proposal for someone who has enough cannabis on them to make 10 joints be sent to prison for 14 years? Would it also be reasonable to send a shoplifter or someone who didn't pay their tv licence to jail for the same amount of time? And if not, why is it fair enough in the case of the person with the cannabis?
    I was talking about extacy which in my opinion shpould never ever be legalised.

No the sentence is too strong but then again it sends out as clear message that drugs won't be tolerated and make the mass think again.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    didn't that guy that raped that baby get 6 years? then it got raised to 9?
    Got raised to 8 years. 8 years... jesus this countries justice system, you'd never believe it was real. That suspsoed to be a 'life' sentence as well.
  • Options
    z
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I agree that's appalling, but that's not what this thread's about. Start a new thread about that if you want.

So you think someone who takes ecstasy deserves to go to prison for 14 years? What exactly do you think that would achieve, aprt from costing the taxpayer hudreds of thousands of pounds?
    I never said that i just believe that if one takes extacy they deserve a much harsher prison sentence than one who has taken dope. This will reflect the scale of how dangerous they are. Which is what the system is all about. The system states that dope is still wrong but not as bad as extacy but both are wrong in their own right and the state should not support them.
  • Options
    z
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Why are they "wrong"?
    I believe they're wrong because they can cause long term damage. It's my own indivdual opinion. I have seen in my life far too often how drugs have affected peoples lives and those who atke drugs are usually scum bags. that is my perception and up bringing of them. And quite frankly I don't want to change this. I dislike illegal drugs. They are illegal for a reason.
  • Options
    Obviously because Luke believes that whatever "the authorities" say must be unquestionably good and true and just.
  • Options
    Obviously because Luke believes that whatever "the authorities" say must be unquestionably good and true and just.
    No not at all. We all know you have no faith in the authorites.
  • Options
    One should not have faith in unaccountable, repeatedly exposed liars and war criminals, tis absolutely correct!

That you regurgitate their talking points like a dictaphone without any demonstration of critical reasoning whatsoever only highlights your preference for non-thought.
  • Options
    One should not have faith in unaccountable, repeatedly exposed liars and war criminals, tis absolutely correct!
    That is your opinion of them and I'll respect that. I differ to that, will you respect this too?
  • Options
    No Luke, that is repeatedly documented reality, lest you have been living under a rock and out of touch with the numerous exposes of lies that have been made over the past 5 years.

An ounce of intellectual honesty would do your capacity for discernment between opinion and fact a world of service. Sorry to say I cannot respect repeated liars, abusers of power, war criminals, nor those who wish to ignore these facts.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I know away to escape the jail sentence... why not take all the drugs then they'll be dead. It's what they deserve.
    It would appear that a previous answer of mine to this fucking disgusting statement of yours has been deleted. Perhaps your sensibilities were hurt by my frank comments and you complained.

So let me try again with a softer tone. Based on such beliefs as those ^^ you appear to be not only rather clueless about life, but a rather unpleasant person.

I pity you and can only hope you are either on a wind up mission, or if you really think such things that one day you will meet real people and broaden your mind (not to mention your heart).

:no:
  • Options
    It was deleted because it insulted the person not the idea
  • Options
    Fair enough, apologies to Luke for any offence caused.
  • Options
    What's wrong with the concept that you don't do something because it's against the law? At least in this case with drug taking.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    No, it suggests that you have an obligation to change it and to educate people. Not agreeing with a law doesn't give you a right to break it. Especially when, in the case of drugs, they're intend for protection.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Why does it become a duty? Where is that written? And when more than half the country still think that drugs are bad mkay, who are you convincing? All it does it give the goverment an excuse to get harsher.

In fact it seems much more sensible to push for state control of drug flow in the same way alcohol production is regulated. Or to educate the public more accuratly on what drugs can actually do, why they're so dangerous, and how they can be safe.
  • Options
    Whether it becomes a duty or not depends on individual beliefs of course.

I believe no individual, government, group or authority in the Universe has a right to tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body. Therefore I wipe my hairy bottom with any law that attempts to dictate such things.

If you however believe that The Law takes precedence over your own personal wishes even when they don't affect anyone else, you're free to do so of course.
  • Options
    If somebody takes drugs in private (not in a public place) I don't believe it should be a criminal offence. Unless someone is committing crime to fund their drug habit it's not really anybody else's business.
  • Options
    It does stand though that it is law, and you will be punished for breaking it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Except because it is illegal you are harming others.

And I'm not saying it's wrong because it's illegal, I'm saying that breaking the law isn't the way you should prove that something isn't wrong.
  • Options
    It is the government and governments of the world who are causing the harm by keeping the drugs illegal. They have created the criminals and the associated crime, by, er, criminalising drugs.

But the bottom line remains that if I choose to smoke a joint I would (potentially) be harming myself, not anyone else. Especially if I do it by myself.

I'm not breaking the law to make a point. I'm breaking the law because I won't have certain aspects of my life dictated by anyone else.
  • Options
    The fact remains that it is currently illegal, it's not really constructive to spout rhetoric about how it's the governments fault for making it illegal. It stands now that because you're breaking the law you are harming others.
  • Options
    No I'm not.
  • Options
    Yes you are, it and illegal trade, and like every illegal trade, like those in weapons or people, it's based in crime.
  • Options
    Although i dont use drugs and i never would as i simply do not want to and i do not see a need for them for myself. I am not against them for people who do want to use them. Not all i must add. I have no problem with legalising them and having companies and small businesses spring up for a market in them, such as selling drugs or manufacturing pure forms. So long as they do not interfere with other people, such as laws against drugs and driving, like we have drink driving laws and laws about not using them in public places where they may cause offence and keeping them out of the hands of children, i am all in favour of legalising them.

As for breaking the law, well i have been at parties where everyone else but me was snorting line after line of cocaine and popping pills all over the place. I could have been arrested for association i think, im not sure on the law there, but i dont see a need for them been illegal.

Sorry to go on so long.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes you are, it and illegal trade, and like every illegal trade, like those in weapons or people, it's based in crime.
    It has only been made illegal very recently in historical terms, and for no good or morally justified reason whatsoever.

The government has created this situation and the crime associated with it. The government only can solve it.