Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what did you get in your gcses?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did mine in 1999, and i got 5 A*'s, 4 A's and 1 B.
  • Options
    I got 5A*s and 6As. I still have no idea how i managed to get an A in latin though! My teacher had predicted me a C and I was convinced i'd failed after coming out of the exam!

don't you just love it when teachers are wrong. my art teacher predicted me an E and i got an A. ;)
  • Options
    4 A's = English Lit, English Language, History, Business & Communication Systems
    4 B's = Science double award thing, Maths, er...RE?
    3 C's = Graphics (made me do Foundation, cause I didn't hand my coursework in on time), Statistics, Art

I know I could have done better. English, History and BCS could all have been A*'s (if my English teacher hadn't been so harsh, and I got 94% for my BCS and 96% for my History courseworks), Graphics could have been an A if I'd done my coursework, Science could have been AB if I'd worked harder. I might have been able to scrape an A in Maths if I hadn't had a shit Higher Level teacher, who didn't explain stuff and confused what we'd already learned, and if I'd known what to do for my coursework.
  • Options
    I got 9A's and a......C.....(in maths of course, what a bollocksy subject...!!)
  • Options
    1 A*(French), 1A(English Lit), 4B's(German,Maths,Eng Lang, Food Tech), 2C's(Geography and Business Studies), 2D's(Science Double Award), 1E(ICT) :D nice variety, and I got a stunning 15% in my physics paper which complimented my b in maths. :lol: I'm an artsy kinda gal.
  • Options
    Standard Grades: 3 x 1's (Modern Studies, History, Biology), 3 x 2's (Chemistry, English and Home Ec) and 2 x 3's (Maths and French)
  • Options
    1 A*, geography
    5 A, english literature, SRS, physics, art, technology
    6 B, maths, english language, media, biology, chemistry, german
    1 C, astronomy

the A's and B's might be a bit wrong, but I think that's about right :)
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    4 A's = English Lit, English Language, History, Business & Communication Systems
    4 B's = Science double award thing, Maths, er...RE?
    3 C's = Graphics (made me do Foundation, cause I didn't hand my coursework in on time), Statistics, Art

I know I could have done better. English, History and BCS could all have been A*'s (if my English teacher hadn't been so harsh, and I got 94% for my BCS and 96% for my History courseworks), Graphics could have been an A if I'd done my coursework, Science could have been AB if I'd worked harder. I might have been able to scrape an A in Maths if I hadn't had a shit Higher Level teacher, who didn't explain stuff and confused what we'd already learned, and if I'd known what to do for my coursework.

you can generally always do better in hindsight. :)
  • Options
    I got 5 C's and 4 D's.

Would have done better in my History one but sadly i went straight from chasing a girl and kicking her head in to going into the hall. Fucked my concentration right up. Oh yeah and if i'd actually done any work :thumb:
  • Options
    I got 1 A, 5 B's and 3 C's. Not bad for no work :)
  • Options
    4 Cs and a B
  • Options
    I got an A* in RE, woo :)
  • Options
    Hahahaha I got an A* in Food Technology and cannot cook to save my life.

In A Level, I got an A for ICT but know nothing about them.

I know more about the subjects I did shit in...
  • Options
    1 A*, 6 A's, 2 B's and a C.
  • Options
    2 A grades, 1 B grade, and 7 C grades. It's done me alright.
  • Options
    History A
    Textiles A
    English CC
    Science CC
    French C
    Maths D
    Spanish E

i was pretty chuffed whit my GCSE'S especially as i didn't revise too well. And i wasn't bothered about the E in spanish i hated the lesson and was always getting sent out of lessons.
  • Options
    1 A, 6 B's, 3 C's. None of which are on my CV anymore. :p

Incidentally, I was proof-reading my cousin's application letters weeks after she'd got her A* in English and they were shockingly bad. What the hell do they teach you nowadays?
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    1 A*
    1 A
    6 B's
    2 C's
    1 D

Same as me. I challenge you to a duel to see who is the best!
  • Options
    I've got my last one - R.E. full course - on Weds. Everyone else finished theirs with History yesterday!

I hope I get a couple of As, and the rest Bs, but I might get a C in Maths and Spanish. I will be delighted if I manage an A* in Art, and I think I might have done enough for an A* in English, because thats what I got for most of my coursework.

I was predicted an A for History in year 10, but I got so lazy with my coursework.. I'll get a B if I'm lucky.

Arghh I don't wanna wait any longer!
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I've got my last one - R.E. full course - on Weds. Everyone else finished theirs with History yesterday!

I hope I get a couple of As, and the rest Bs, but I might get a C in Maths and Spanish. I will be delighted if I manage an A* in Art, and I think I might have done enough for an A* in English, because thats what I got for most of my coursework.

I was predicted an A for History in year 10, but I got so lazy with my coursework.. I'll get a B if I'm lucky.

Arghh I don't wanna wait any longer!
    my last ones not till the 23rd!
  • Options
    9 C's and 3 B's I was put in for foundation tier for the lot of them except the B's of course. I hate tiers they are unfair.

AS levels ACCU - :thumb:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    9 C's and 3 B's I was put in for foundation tier for the lot of them except the B's of course. I hate tiers they are unfair.

why are they?
  • Options
    I got 4 C at GCSE and a D and E for A level , and got on to a foundation course no problem... however when I applied for uni they said my grades where two low despite haveing done a foundation dimploma
  • Options
    why are they?
    Because they prevent people from achieveing their full potential.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    no, they're designed to help people achieve their full potential, and help stop them from failing. To achieve your full potential then you do the tier that suits you. Full potential doesn't mean getting As
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

not it doesn't. i think streaming is a good idea. you're put in sets based on ability and taught at that ability or higher. would you think it was right for someone in a lower set to be doing the same work as those in higher sets?
  • Options
    exactly, someone whos wanting As and A*s won't want to do foundation and someone who only wants Ds won't want to do higher!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    exactly, someone whos wanting As and A*s won't want to do foundation and someone who only wants Ds won't want to do higher!

i don't think the set you're placed in has to determine what exam you sit though (i.e. intermediate/higher).

at my school you were placed into 2 groups...say a and b. a was sets 1-3 (being the highest) and b was sets 4-5. i was in a because i was good at english and r.e. and all the other subjects apart from maths and science basically but because i was in group a, i had to be in set 3 for maths and science. if it wasn't set out like that, i should think i would've been placed in set 4 for maths with the possibility of being moved up.
  • Options
    i'm in the 2nd to top set for english, although i should have been in the top but being one of the last in the register, they probably filled the group before they got to me so stuck me in the next class....i would have been able to get an A easy in english if i were in there because they had a really good teacher.
    However, i did foundation IT (we had our IT classes in our english classes) and i was in the top set for german but did foundation.
    I was in the 2nd set for maths and did intermediate...but that goes up to a B so you only really need to do higher maths if you want an A/A*
    I was in the top for science and did higher. Although if we really wanted we could change tiers if our teacher thought we'd benefit more. About 1/2 of my english group did foundation too...its just what suits you.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

Not really. Put it this way, if there was no such thing and everyone was doing the same paper (this actually happened in ICT) many people will probably fail.
    would you think it was right for someone in a lower set to be doing the same work as those in higher sets?

Personally, no. But isn't the work very similar, but the complicated stuff is just left out?
    I was in the top for science and did higher. Although if we really wanted we could change tiers if our teacher thought we'd benefit more.

I was in the top set until they decided that they'd merge the whole of the year together (we were divided for Years 7-9) and everyone else was doing foundation tier in the class I was in. I'm beginning to wish I'd asked early enough to change now, because then I could've got a C.