Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tattoo question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just a general question really...
i want to get a tattoo done... but was wondering: a tattoo done with black ink, how long does it take to fade? i ask because i've seen a lot of people with tattoo's which seem to have faded to a khaki-green-sorta' colour, and if i get one, i don't want that to happen, i want it to stay black forever! ;)

Comments

• Options
    It depends on your skin, exposure to elements etc....
    As you get older it will naturally fade away....
  • Options
    Yep can't stay black forever, what you do after is you go back to the tattoist and ask for them to pass on it again to make it more black again...
  • Options
    "pass on it"
    Does that just mean go over it again? Sorry bit slow today.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Yeah he probably means just go over it again,
    but i have had mine for about 4 years, and they still look nice, so it will probably be way down the line that they will need to be recoloured.
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Lots of inks used in ye olden days faded over time, but nowadays inks have been developed a lot more to make sure they don't fade as much.

When you're finding out which tattooist to go to, ask them about the inks they use. If you go to a good tattooist you should find that they use top quality inks.

A skilled tattooist will also be able to make sure that the ink a) has been applied deep enough (so that the ink doesn't just seep away) or b) hasn't been applied too deep (so that excess scar tissue and scabbing doesn't form)

Improper tattoo aftercare and poor general care can contribute to fading, too. Sun exposure is a major cause of fading. Keep tats covered on hot days if possible or wear a really high sun cream factor. Picking scabs while the tattoo is healing can also damage the pigment on your skin.

Smaller tattoos tend to show more signs of fading, and ones on hands and feet are likely to fade quicker than elsewhere on your body.