Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Accident in Buckinghamshire

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    In a strange way I find it more understandable that the car that hit the kid drove off, people panic, but for other cars to carry on driving past is a bit poor.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only example is in france where you can sue if you so wish. In which case the judge or whatever would have to decide whether you would have made a difference or not. Which seems a bit hit and miss to me.

There isn't a law that protects us from not having to do anything, there is an absence of a law that forces us to do something. Again, helping if you can is morally correct. But, if there were a legal obligation to help a drowning child, how deep does the water have to be before you don't have to anymore? or what happens if you injure yourself helping the child, do you get compensation from the government that forced you to help in the first place?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Either the law would be fuzzy, or it would be exacting. Either way if people don't want to help, they they wouldn't, and they would be able to make sure that they didn't have to.

Not to say that said person isn't morally bankrupt.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    yes, that's exactly what I said :rolleyes:
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Yes, absolutely :rolleyes: It doesn't at all mean that I don't agree with the laws in any country.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    It's not my problem if you make a completely unfounded assumption.
  • Options
    its a reflection of british society i think.

you should be proud.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Mate, I made it very clear what I was arguing. You jumped to conclusions. You were wrong. I have no history of jingoistic, xenophobic or racist posting on this forum ever.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i think its rather depressing that the duty to help other people, those who immediately need help have to be put on law. in fact its pathetic.

values? what values? its often people in the west appreciate values andmorality only if its self serving.
  • Options
    It would have been jingoistic. Anyway, you were wrong, deal with it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Because it's not something you should have to do. When I did my St John's first aiders they made it very clear to us that we should never feel compelled to help someone if we weren't comfortable with it. Obviously practical assistance as might be given there is different than pulling over and ringing for an ambulance. And as far as I'm concerned helping someone if morally correct. But I don't think you should force someone by law to do something like that, it doesn't work.
    I hear what you're saying and I understand people getting aprehensive about giving first aid. However there are a number other situations where assistance can be given without having to administer any medical aid.

If someone doesn't bother to stop at the site of an accident chances are they won't even bother to call 999 either. At night or at a quiet road this could mean precious time is wasted before the ambulance is even alerted of the emergency. Paramedics always talk about the 'golden hour'- how chances of survival increase dramatically if aid is given within an hour of an accident.

Or imagine if a person is not injured but cannot get out of their car because they are entangled in their seatbelt. You might or might not carry a sharp object in your car, but if you do you could help them get out before the car has a chance to ignite.
  • Options
    Again, I think that it is the morally correct thing to do everything you can for someone else to help them. I just don't think you can legally compel them to do so.
  • Options
    If you help someone on the side of the road and get it wrong they can sue you if you have a first aid certificate which i think is rather bizarre.
  • Options
    In this day and age they would probably sue you even if you didn't have a first aider certificate.

From that angle I can understand why some people might be relunctant to stop at an accident.
  • Options
    Its the mentality that when there are several people around, individual people are FAR less likely to do anything at all as they ALL think that someone else will do it or is taking care of it.
    If a lone person sees an accident, then most people would do something to try and help.
    Its fucked up and sad, but experiments have been done and its nearly always the case.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    If you help someone on the side of the road and get it wrong they can sue you if you have a first aid certificate which i think is rather bizarre.
    Not true. Good Samaritan acts are perfectly legal, and no one can sue you for trying your best to help, first aider/doctor/nurse whoever.
  • Options
    Its the mentality that when there are several people around, individual people are FAR less likely to do anything at all as they ALL think that someone else will do it or is taking care of it.
    If a lone person sees an accident, then most people would do something to try and help.
    Its fucked up and sad, but experiments have been done and its nearly always the case.
    I think there's a psychological phenomenon which states that people are much more inclined to stop if someone else is already helping. I think Derren Brown explored it in one of his programmes.

To make an assessment of a girl lying on the pavement in a split second whilst driving past at 30mph is not as easy as it seems in hindsight.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not true. Good Samaritan acts are perfectly legal, and no one can sue you for trying your best to help, first aider/doctor/nurse whoever.
    St John's told me that I most certainly could be sued.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Not what i was told when i went on my first aid course, thats why they advise you to take out personal insurance.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

:yes: Same here. but they said people who didn't have them couldn't be.
    I never renewed mine.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Tweety wrote:
    Not what i was told when i went on my first aid course, thats why they advise you to take out personal insurance.
    Well, they could sue I suppose but the case would be laughed out of court. If you are acting within the limits of your competence - i.e. in accordance with your first aid training - you are acting legally.