Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finishing uni and feeling lost

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is there anyone else here, who when they finished uni felt so lost and wierd?

I feel like the 3 years went by so fast and im not really ready to leave education. Im not ready to go into the world of work.

Im considering doing a postgraduate course so that i can stay on for an extra year, but im worried about how i can afford it, and i also dont know if its too late now to get in for this september.

Overall, im just really sad about leaving. My final year has been the best year of my life so far, i enjoyed it so much and just never wanted it to end :crying:. Ive returned home and i dont even feel like i belong here any more.

Feel at a loose end. Someone give me some direction!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Blah,

I'm feeling exactly the same. I've had such an amazing time this last year especially and really don't feel ready to leave yet. It's so sad thinking that many of the great people i've met over the last 3 years I may never see again :crying:. I also considered doing a masters but then realised that the only reason that I want to do it is to prolong my time of being a student - none of the jobs i want to do ask for a masters, so i've realised that it will probably be a waste of money. I'm going travelling this sumemr though so it's giving me something to look forward to.

I'm guessing that this feeling is mainly because we've just finished - i've spoken to friends who graduated last year and they said that once you start working, you kind of forget about missing uni and you make new friends, but at the moment i don't feel convinced. I want to stay a student forever!!! :(
    I'm loving uni, I've met some completely amazing people here and my confidence has really grown. It just kind of worries me, what I'll do after. I'd like to do my Masters in another country, maybe like Australia.

But I am scared that after university I will end up back doing bar work for the rest of my life.
    I understand your fears, but you must've realised when you signed up for uni that ONE day it would end? Did you not have any plans laid out to carry on with after you finished uni? Doing a Master's is a good idea, but it's expensive, and if you're doing it to stay a student a year then that's the wrong reason IMHO. All good things come to an end. Use the summer to figure out what you want to do, and then put uni behind you. Although if you wanted to do PG then I'd get a wriggle on NOW and start applyign for faculty scholarships, government fundign etc because it's a pain in the arse to get. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
    i have always considered the possibility of staying on at uni, but the funding has always put me off.

I can do it so long as i can have a part time job alongside it, and so long as some help is available

I feel like i want to further widen my knowledge in the subject, as well as stay on at uni for that bit longer as i really didnt want it to end!

So the reason isnt just because i dont want to go into the real world, i just want to be a student and learn more and carry on the fun that ive had so far
    i think that's a pretty normal reaction, to be honest.

i wanted to cry every day for weeks when i left uni and started my first 'proper' job. i soon came round, though, and now i'm all about the working lifestyle.

it was difficult giving up my 2 hours a week schedule and daily dose of trisha though!
    kaffrin wrote:
    i think that's a pretty normal reaction, to be honest.

i wanted to cry every day for weeks when i left uni and started my first 'proper' job. i soon came round, though, and now i'm all about the working lifestyle.

it was difficult giving up my 2 hours a week schedule and daily dose of trisha though!

i didnt want to admit to the crying because i thought it was a bit sad of me, but i feel exactly like that, every time i think about what ive left, i get all teary and have to really try hard to not cry!

I just cant adjust to the move back in with parents. I miss staying up till 4am with my housemates watching quizmania and other shite, and just messing around.

I miss going out to get drunk and being able to stumble home whenever i like.

None of that is possible back here, even if i was to move out of home.

I just want to be back at uni, with the same housemates, and with all my friends still there!

Its not that i dont want to grow up, i can handle being an adult and having a job etc, but i want the living arrangements back, and i want to be working for something. I want to be learning more.

Pah.
    Blah wrote:
    i have always considered the possibility of staying on at uni, but the funding has always put me off.

I can do it so long as i can have a part time job alongside it, and so long as some help is available

I feel like i want to further widen my knowledge in the subject, as well as stay on at uni for that bit longer as i really didnt want it to end!

So the reason isnt just because i dont want to go into the real world, i just want to be a student and learn more and carry on the fun that ive had so far
    Well, one of the main reasons of doing a Master's is to go into academia. Would that interest you? Bear in mind though that doing a Master's will be totally different to what your UG was like. Less people do a Master's and it can get very lonely. It's not nearly as much fun as doing your UG. Funding can be tricky, but you might be lucky and get a decent stipend. I still work a few jobs, namely a weekend job (all year) and tutoring (during term time). I reckon that if you did a Master's it would really shock you as to how different it is :( It's hard work (way harder than UG). I can totally understand the living with parents thing, I don't think I could do it even if I tried...
    i thought quizmania was no more?
    i thought quizmania was no more?

well theres a quiz thing thats on all the time, whether its called quizmania or not i dont know!
    Blah wrote:
    I just cant adjust to the move back in with parents. I miss staying up till 4am with my housemates watching quizmania and other shite, and just messing around.

I miss going out to get drunk and being able to stumble home whenever i like.

None of that is possible back here, even if i was to move out of home.

if you got a job, could you look at renting a room in a shared house? if you live with youngsters, you can have that silly uni feel for a bit longer.

whatever happens, it's the end of an era, and that's always a bit weird. you get that sudden thunderbolt that it's all change, and nothing will be the same again. which it won't. but different doesn't necessarily = bad. it just takes a bit of getting used to.
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you got a job, could you look at renting a room in a shared house? if you live with youngsters, you can have that silly uni feel for a bit longer.

whatever happens, it's the end of an era, and that's always a bit weird. you get that sudden thunderbolt that it's all change, and nothing will be the same again. which it won't. but different doesn't necessarily = bad. it just takes a bit of getting used to.

i dont want to get used to it :(

Aargh i feel so depressed! i need a good slap
    I feel lost right now. And to think this time is what I've been waiting for. I didn't really like university and couldn't wait to finish. But now I feel more stressed than ever.
    I envisage myself being in a similiar situation. It's not that I don't want to go in the big wide world or nothing, it's the fear of having to get a job somewhere where I'll be nowhere near my home mates or uni mates. :nervous:

Up the buzz! :thumb:
    \
    I dont move home for another 2 weeks but the thort of soing so terrifies me. Iv been in huddersfield for four years , in the last two years excluding the summer holidays i think i have been home for 3 weeks all in all.

I hate wigan its so poo and i have 1 remaining friend there. Everything that i love and that i am is in huddersfield. I think i will feel vetter once i am able to start applying for jobs but at the moment i doubt very uch that i have passed my degree so applying for jobs is a bit pointless.
    \
    I cant really until i have a job, i cant get a job until i have my results.

Thats next tuesday anyway so i can start to sort myself out then.

As much as i love huddersfield its not so much me wanting to stay here as me not wanting to go to wigan.

I have applied for a job teaching environmental fieldwork on the isle of wight that i really want but other than that i cant find anything that i want to do that doesnt require grades first or really good predicted grades.

Im still thinking about having a fun year before i settle downn and get a serious job, seing if i can get a job in a hotel abroad or something like that. I really need to make my mind up soon.

I guess we will see what tuesday brings...
    melanie wrote:
    I cant really until i have a job, i cant get a job until i have my results.

have you thought about temp work? as well as giving you something to do and a bit of extra dosh, prospective employers are always a little bit impressed if you are already working when you apply for jobs.

:)
    Well i am working, i work in a bar and am getting loads of hours and a bit of a pay fise as i am acting supervisor at the mo. I could stay on but i hate the company that had bort us and they are atrocious to work for but as im only here for another 3 weeks i thort that i would keep it up.

do you think that it would look better if i was temping in an office or something to employers? i have only stayed on as i can have basically as many hours as i want but id be quite prepered to leave if something else would look better
    I think im missing it more as the days go on.

Im used to living in a shared uni house, with people i love spending time with, im used to people coming and going all day, with social lives. Im used to being invited out places

At uni it was in the middle of the city, i could just text my mates and they would meet me wherever because they all lived within walking distance.

Back here, my friends all have full time jobs and go to the pub every sunday evening, thats it. I just cant adjust to this at all.

Living in this house is boring beyond belief, theres no housemates to have pointless banter with, theres nobody to be bored with me. I even miss lectures.

I miss the silly little student house with an ant infestation! I didnt even miss family when at uni, so long as i came home to visit every few months.

Im trying to keep myself busy by sorting out job applications and stuff like that, but this is really getting me down. I dont want to go into a job that will last longer than till next term time. I want to work the summer then look forward to going back in september where it all carries on again.

I dont see why i should have to give up something i love doing, which is being a student. I felt like i belong, i enjoyed every day. Yet the more i want to stay on as a post-grad, the more i realise how much i cant afford to do it. I would need about £8000 to cover tuition and living costs.

Why am i finding this so hard? I feel so depressed.
    Blah wrote:
    I miss the silly little student house with an ant infestation!
    :heart: ants :heart:
    For anyone that's interested, ive decided that if i can im going to move back to where i studied, living in the same house with some of the same students as before, and im going to look for work. ive grown out of my family home now, its just not where i want to be and i need my independance.

This way im kind of weaning myself away from Uni slowly, as its impossible for me to do any post-graduate study

So i'll still live in a lively place with fun people, i just will be having a job instead of studying

Yay

thanks for all feedback, i know ive been/am being depressing lately!
    good luck!

you'll be able to stalk me still. :( but i'm moving house so :p.

you'll be able to stalk me still. :( but i'm moving house so :p.

the reason i decided i want to move back up :flirt:
    Blah wrote:
    the reason i decided i want to move back up :flirt:

knew it. :D