Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Moaning Lesbians

I dont know if any of you have heard about this case, but there are a lesbian couple who got 'married' in Canada and now want the UK government to recognise that as a marriage not as a civil partnership.

What exactly is a civil partnership other than marriage under a different name?

And if they are just fighting to change the name of what bond they have slightly, why?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5052300.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Seen this on the news earlier, does seem a bit stupid.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    What a waste of time.
  • Options
    So they can have five minutes of fame and sell their story to the paper. Why d'you think?
  • Options
    So they can have five minutes of fame and sell their story to the paper. Why d'you think?

Yep sounds like it...

Also they could just say yes, who cares, let's just call it "marriage" for everyone and forget about it...
  • Options
    What about those people who dont want to call in marriage? What about them? Bet these lesbians didnt think of them...
  • Options
    marriage ...the union of a man and woman ...
  • Options
    marriage ...the union of a man and woman ...

It's the first definition of it yes, but it is as well...
    mar·riage Audio pronunciation of "marriage" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mrj)
    n.

1. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
    2. The state of being married; wedlock.
    3. A common-law marriage.
    4. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
    2. A wedding.
    3. A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).
    4. Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle.

Frankly I think either gay and hetero are stupid to fight over a fucking word...
    It's like that shit where you have to say fire fighters and not firemenr and others... Those are just words...

If people need a special word to make themselves or their relationship better somehow I think it's pretty sad...

There is more in life that words...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I say they should quit winging and get over it ffs
    Word.
  • Options
    Y'all so cynical.
    I am so proud!!
  • Options
    Well why on't they just call a 'Civil Partnership' a 'marriage' anyway? If they are the same thing. Otherwise it still implies that same sex couples are below "normal" couples. Even if it isn't recognised under the church, the term 'Civil Partnership' might not have the same connotations as 'Marriage'.
  • Options
    Well why don't they just call a 'Civil Partnership' a 'marriage' anyway? If they are the same thing. Otherwise it still implies that same sex couples are below "normal" couples. Even if it isn't recognised under the church, the term 'Civil Partnership' might not have the same connotations as 'Marriage'.

Why would you assume they are below? Civil Partnership's might be above marriage.

Its called something different because its ever so slightly different, in that the couples have matching bits.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Why would you assume they are below? Civil Partnership's might be above marriage.

Its called something different because its ever so slightly different, in that the couples have matching bits.
    But what I mean is that why, just because it's Adam and Steve and not Adam and Eve should it have to be called anything different?

At the end of the day, two people love each other enough to legally commit to each other. Why should it matter what sex you fall for?
  • Options
    But what I mean is that why, just because it's Adam and Steve and not Adam and Eve should it have to be called anything different?

At the end of the day, two people love each other enough to legally commit to each other. Why should it matter what sex you fall for?

And with time it probably will be called the same, I'm just suggesting that taking it to the European Court of Human Rights is totally over the top. This move will only antagonise non homosexuals and probably do the cause of equality harm.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    And with time it probably will be called the same, I'm just suggesting that taking it to the European Court of Human Rights is totally over the top. This move will only antagonise non homosexuals and probably do the cause of equality harm.
    Ahhh Ok, I thought you were against changing the name or something.
  • Options
    Well why on't they just call a 'Civil Partnership' a 'marriage' anyway?

Because most people would say it's not marriage.
  • Options
    Ahhh Ok, I thought you were against changing the name or something.

I'm just saying that you (meaning the gay community) should just (for now anyway) be happy with what you've got and not make a big fuss like this.

Its a big waste of time and money.
  • Options
    I'm with BongBudda, it's just semantics. Although, I think generally people view marriage as a religious ceremony (which let's be fair, it started off as) and civil partnerships are about the law recognising a couple's status.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm just saying that you (meaning the gay community) should just (for now anyway) be happy with what you've got and not make a big fuss like this.

Its a big waste of time and money.
    I don't consider myself a member of the gay community at large, I just think that people should be treated the same.

Asking for their 'civil partnership' to be called a 'marriage' is no big deal. I know women who like women who do not like to be considered as 'lesbian', it segregates people. Primarily they are human beings, secondarily they are attracted to a member of the same sex. Why should gay relationships be treated as second best or any different?

I say open marriage to same sex couples and civil partnership to different sex couples. That is equality.
  • Options
    I don't consider myself a member of the gay community at large, I just think that people should be treated the same.

Asking for their 'civil partnership' to be called a 'marriage' is no big deal. I know women who like women who do not like to be considered as 'lesbian', it segregates people. Primarily they are human beings, secondarily they are attracted to a member of the same sex. Why should gay relationships be treated as second best or any different?

I say open marriage to same sex couples and civil partnership to different sex couples. That is equality.

agreed :thumb:

for once :lol:
  • Options
    agreed :thumb:

for once :lol:
    Holy shit yeah, we agree on something.

High five brother. ;)