Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tax Office

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
7 weeks ago I spoke to someone from the Tax Office in Sefton Area about a Tax refund, since I've been on a work break since January and was told I might get some money back. The lady told me to send my P45 and a cover letter to the Sefton Area Office and that it will be dealt within 4 weeks.
2 weeks later I phone them up and someone else from the Sefton Area Office tells me they don't have my details or the letter and that it's probably been diverted to the Yorkshire Office in Leeds. So I phone up Leeds. They tell me that the last details they have are from 2004 and that the letter should go to the Sefton Area office where they will update my details once they receive the P45.
2 weeks after that I phone up the Sefton area office and they tell me that the backlog is now 6 weeks and told me to call back after the 6 weeks and check then.

To the present.
Just spoke to a guy from the Sefton Area office and he told me that his records show that i have not worked since 2004 and that they never received any details from my last employer. Furthermore, he reckons that once the letter was opened in Sefotn area it will get diverted to Leeds, where once they look at it after 6 weeks they will realize they don't have the right details and send it back to Sefton Area where it will be another 6 weeks before it gets looked at.

He's also asked me to send another letter to the tax office stating my dates and details of employment since Aug 2004 and a copy of my P60.

Fucken Hell!!!

Is there anything I can do to speed this up or complain to someone?

Is there anything in this government that does work properly??

I will send the damn letter but I am not expecting anything now and I am down a P45!
Happy days!

:confused: :grump: :no:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Send a PM to the lovely Char_baby, she'll know :yes:
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Send a PM to the lovely Char_baby, she'll know :yes:
    Grass :p

Unfortunalty without looking into it I couldnt say for sure, It is entirely possible that the timescale is correct and letters are diverted from office to office depending on where your records are held. Unfortunatly we rely on employers to notify us of your full pay and tax and starting/leaving details, however they can be a tad unreliable which seems to be the case here. I would send in whatever information you have (P45s, P60s) to the office (Sefton or Leeds). If your still not happy with this you can ask to speak to a manager when you phone up next who will take your complaint.
    That's what I figured.
    Thanks.

:)