Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maths GCSE exam

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sophia wrote:
    I don't know, you may be right, it's 8 years since I did my maths GCSE (christ I feel old, seems like yesterday) and I can't really remember much about it, except hating quadratic equations.

But I do sort of think that exams aren't supposed to be a walk in the park. If any idiot could turn up and pass them, there'd be not much point in taking them. It's frustrating for those who don't intend to use their maths again to be forced to do it and to have such a high standard to aim for, but if the qualification is going to have any meaning it should be difficult and it should require hard work.
    i see your point, but i really do think that the maths course needs a re-vamp, there needs to be more useful maths rather than pointless maths
    Ballerina wrote:
    i see your point, but i really do think that the maths course needs a re-vamp, there needs to be more useful maths rather than pointless maths

Agreed. But do remember that quite a few people would probably use what you think is 'pointless' in jobs relating to mechanics, engineering, physics, etc.
    Ballerina wrote:

i dont think that is completely true because you don't know if its pointless until you've actually done really. you learn half the syllabus in year 10 (i learnt it all in year 11) so you still have time to choose whether u will take maths on at college thus proving that it is not all pointless. for some maybe it is but others it definitely is not!
    Ballerina wrote:
    I think teachers need to make stronger links between the maths on the syllabus already and how this maths is useful in the real world. Sadly many teachers don't take the time to do this.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I think teachers need to make stronger links between the maths on the syllabus already and how this maths is useful in the real world. Sadly many teachers don't take the time to do this.
    my teacher actually told us that most of it is useless! the maths syllabus i'm doing seems very outdated