Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you buy / sell on eBay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you all frequently buy and sell on eBay?

I've only ever made a few purchases - CDs from years ago that would be really expensive to get hold of in the shops; and two feather boas to decorate my metal headboard with!

Once I get my new laptop (will be so much faster and easy to use that this old PC!) I'm going to go selling mad with old books, CDs and videos, methinks.

Just wondered what everyone else used eBay for... :chin:

Comments

• Options
    My boyfriend sells toner cartridges and misc random computer parts.

I've never used Ebay.
  • Options
    Racing kayaks and Terry Pratchett books.
  • Options
    i buy band merch and autorgraphs/rare music stuff, and i sell autographs and band merch...
  • Options
    I buy and sell sweet fa but i heard you can make some £££'s in condoms and subway stickers by buying them from america and selling them UK

Do you know them plastic Northern fivers we have, they sell for more than a fiver I hear because there's so little in circulation and people want to collect them.
  • Options
    I don't sell anything on ebay.

I used to buy lots of random shit on it though.
  • Options
    So this brings up the question, should we have an ebay thread for people to post links to stuff on sale - it would have to be just one thread though to avoid it getting out of hand, and probably in net & tech or home, law & money
  • Options
    My mother and I have a mini-business selling our hats, shawls and scarves on ebay. The Americans love it :razz:
  • Options
    Oooo yeah, I think that is a good idea!

A thread for spam! Hahaha.
  • Options
    I've bought and sold lots. Cars, speakers, laptops, printers, software, headphones, mobiles.
  • Options
    I think now the time to make ebay a legitimate business from home has gone, unless you find a brand new niche no-one has thought of. It is deffinatly a buyers market now.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've never used Ebay.

ditto...

Never used it and frankly don't want to either...
  • Options
    I've bought and sold lots. Cars, speakers, laptops, printers, software, headphones, mobiles.

How do you sell a car? Do you limit it to people only in your town or what?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Nah you put them in an envelope and send it to them :p
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

With cars its tricky because people often like too see the goods on offer and take it for a spin also, I have known of people to have there car stolen in this way, i.e you give someone the address of where the car will be for a test drive etc and you wake up and your car is not there in the morning.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I sell badger cheese.
  • Options
    I used to use it a lot back when i was living on campus, buying things like software and computer parts i couldn't find locally and stuff.
  • Options
    With cars its tricky because people often like too see the goods on offer and take it for a spin also, I have known of people to have there car stolen in this way, i.e you give someone the address of where the car will be for a test drive etc and you wake up and your car is not there in the morning.

Why would you tell them where you live?

I've thought about selling my guitar on ebay. But that would cost a fortune just to ship so it will just sit in the back of the spare rooms closet collecting dust...
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I think now the time to make ebay a legitimate business from home has gone, unless you find a brand new niche no-one has thought of. It is deffinatly a buyers market now.
    Aye it is.

Unless your an established seller you cant make much on eBay nowadays
  • Options
    my_name wrote:

Just list it and give any potential bidders the opportunity to come and inspect it. Only ever had a couple of people bother.

No test drives unless they leave me with the asking price for the vehicle in cash, and a certificate of insurance.

Never had a problem :). My Dad sold his 911 through eBay last year, without any problems. I think it went for £21k, and it went smoothly and without any hassle :).
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I've thought about selling my guitar on ebay. But that would cost a fortune just to ship so it will just sit in the back of the spare rooms closet collecting dust...

But the buyer pays for the shipping. Or you can limit it to a pick-up only auction where someone realitivly local will come pick it up from you.

I have used eBay to buy/sell various stuff. My latest purchase was a PSP gig pack with two games that cost me over £125 less than high street prices.

I think if you can spot the scammers and know what your looking for and be prepared to lose out on some buys and play it cool to the last minute there are some bargains to be made and profit to pocket.

I like the idea of an eBay thread. :yes:
  • Options
    only ever used ebay once to buy a cool looking TV :D
  • Options
    For myself - buy - cd's, clothes, horse riding gear
    sell - clothes and the odd bit of horse riding gear

Horse riding stuff was dirt cheap about two years ago but unfortunately ebay took off in a huge way so people have realised they can make good prices on the gear they sell so it's not as cheap anymore.

Business wise - memorabilia / ephemera really. Don't do too bad a business out of it but then we do it in real life for jobs anyway so we know what we're selling and how to describe/price it.
    Autograph wise you have to be really careful as a really large percentage are fake so our autograph market has gone downhill as nobody trusts you anymore due to the conartists :grump:
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    So this brings up the question, should we have an ebay thread for people to post links to stuff on sale - it would have to be just one thread though to avoid it getting out of hand, and probably in net & tech or home, law & money
    I like that idea :)
  • Options
    i've sold some clothes (a skirt and some tops) and a CD and bought CDs, DVDs and a sticker for my car.
  • Options
    i havent bought anything off ebay in aages, but when i have done, ive bought stuff like cds and dvds i cant find in shops anymore.

ive also bought a couple pairs of jeans from an online shop :yes: and when i was going through my 'lord of the rings obesssion' ( :blush: ) i bought of loads of collectors stuff off ebay too!!! (glad to say that obsession is now over!!)

as for my stepdad. my god, he buys a load of junk on ebay!! well.. when i say junk, i mean stuff that he is never ever going to use, so is completely useless!!

like, the other day he bought himself software for the computer, which enables you to look out of your microscope without actually having to look through it. . . we dont even have a microscope :chin: so why he got it i dont know!
  • Options
    Ah, this thread just saved me from bad feedback- had forgotten I'd bid on something and it was just sitting there waiting for me to pay. A denim casuit by the way...
  • Options
    Ive bought loads from ebay, i but alot of make up there, and accesories for my ipod, clothes bags, alsorts, im addicted to that place. so far ive only sold one thing and that was a playboy top
  • Options
    I've bought quite a few tops.. A few sets of tickets.. CD's.. Shoes.. Calendar.. All bargains!

And best of all - My Prom Dress! :D
  • Options
    i buy boyfriends