Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

'legal' downloading

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've been one of those people who didn't know what bittorrent was until about a month ago... in any case, I'm looking at various 'legal downloading' (for music) stops, and wondering which you all can reccomend (based on the premise that downloading illegal music isn't something I feel I want to do).

Ones I've found so far:

-Napster
-eMusic
-iTunes
-Rhapsody
-allofmp3

...I don't know anything about any of these (aside from Napster, from the newspapers a while back, and iTunes, because almost everyone seems to have an ipod nowadays)... and would appreciate some insight into their pros/cons.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well allofmp3 is cheap as anything, but sadly it is illegal - beyond royalty payments not going to record labels it looks like they haven't been paying anyone for any royalties (including bands and writers)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/30/allofmp3_illegal/
    Woah. Nice prices, but.. Yeah. Let's stay away from that one.

Any that are.. ah, *still* legal you can comment on?
    For commercial sort of music, I like the iTunes one... very nice to use... and seen as I use iTunes as my media player, it makes life easier.

I dont generally download off the major ones anyway as I listen to more underground music. A lot of record shops do MP3's as well as vinyl now.

Generally I like to pay for my music, its better quallity and I like to support the artists I appreciate.
    If your into dance music, www.beatport.com is very good, not as cheap as some places, but you wont find alot of the stuff on there anywhere else!
    (dance orientated) http://www.audiojelly.com is a good one. Thats where I buy most of my mp3's.
    Aspire wrote:
    (dance orientated) http://www.audiojelly.com is a good one. Thats where I buy most of my mp3's.

Just out of interest. What type of music you like?
    A mixture of electronic stuff really mate.. Trance, DnB, Hardcore (Freeform over the cheesy stuff), Gabber, Hard House (although I much prefer the older stuff to the new), Hard Trance..

I like the odd band or two, like Muse & Oasis but my favourite music lies within the electronic stuff.
    Aspire wrote:
    A mixture of electronic stuff really mate.. Trance, DnB, Hardcore (Freeform over the cheesy stuff), Gabber, Hard House (although I much prefer the older stuff to the new), Hard Trance..

Yay another electronic music liking person! yay.
    Haha, nice to finally meet someone on the board with some taste in music :P
    Aspire wrote:
    Trance, DnB, Hardcore (Freeform over the cheesy stuff), Gabber, Hard House (although I much prefer the older stuff to the new), Hard Trance..

:thumb:

The more the merrier! :D

I'm mostly DnB, love it!
    But i pretty much like most styles of electronic music!
    Aspire wrote:
    Haha, nice to finally meet someone on the board with some taste in music :P

There are only a few of us ... :D

Techno man myself. Hard Techno, none of this minimal mumbo jumbo. But like all types of electronic stuff :thumb:
    Awesome. I'm not so personally into electronic music, sticking mainly to classical, but I can certainly see merit in stuff like Steve Reich/Brian Eno. These are some good sites! I'm wondering, though - what makes you like those ones (beatport/audiojelly) over others?
    I like AudioJelly because it seems to have a lot of material I can't find elsewhere, plus @ £1.25 per track it's a steal.
    I use beatport because it the biggest source of DnB & Breakbeat mp3s to buy on the net... that I have found...
    Most of the big artists sign to it.

Although generally I still like to buy a few 12" here and there!
    Woah, £1.25? isn't napster/itunes just $1?
    Jim V wrote:
    Well allofmp3 is cheap as anything, but sadly it is illegal - beyond royalty payments not going to record labels it looks like they haven't been paying anyone for any royalties (including bands and writers)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/30/allofmp3_illegal/

On a personal lever, I'd continue using allofmp3 until it was either shut down, or proven to be illegal under UK law. It'll be shut down long before a test case goes to a UK court, now that America is putting the heat on Russia.

Hell, I'd keep using it just to spite America. They're starting to use bullying to try and enforce the closure of the site.

Just because the music industry says something islegal or illegal, it doesn't actually mean they are correct. Just look at the Sony DRM fiasco.
    napster is 100% free now isn't it? atleast that is what the ads were saying.
    Um. No, it's free for the first five listens, from what I've seen, and then you have to pay. Still not bad prices, though, compared to these other ones...

allofMP3... I just don't like the idea of paying for music that the artist doesn't get a cut of. If i wanted to get music without giving the artist anything, I'd .torrent.
    well 5 free listens to every single song is about 17+ days of music so it really isn't that bad. also if u buy the monthy subscription ur paying about half a penny per song... making it the cheapest service out there.
    Yeah, but you don't get to keep those songs. So it's good, but not perfect...
    I personally like iTunes, because its not based on a subscription model (like, once you buy the songs they're yours forever, you keep 'em without having to pay for a subscription), and because the DRM is rather easy to circumvent...not that i'd even think of engaging in this very illegal activity, however. ;);)
    Hm. That's a good point. Don't think it's illegal to change a filetype, just to 'share' with other people. I guess I'll have to try it.
    Yeah, you can legally burn them to a standard issue audio CD, like the type you play on any CD player. What you do after that, however, is your responsibility ;);) :thumb:
    Generally I like to pay for my music, its better quallity and I like to support the artists I appreciate.

it's a point... but without illegal downloads I wouldn't have bought have the albums I have (or even have heard half the bands that I have), a lot of people I know are the same, so without the free downloads they mightve sold a few less albums :)
    muse- wrote:
    it's a point... but without illegal downloads I wouldn't have bought have the albums I have (or even have heard half the bands that I have), a lot of people I know are the same, so without the free downloads they mightve sold a few less albums :)

I agree with that...
    illegal downloads can benifical to smoe artists in some ways. Especially when it works in the way you just said...
    You download a couple of singles, like them... so you go buy the album!

I'm not a saint... I dont buy all my music, but I try to support the artists I appreciate as much as I can. If I download stuff its generally because I probably wouldnt have brought it anyway... if that makes sence!
    I mainly listen to DJmixes, their free and have some quakity nusic in sets
    I'll usually download a couple of tracks, listen to them, decide i like them, and then go and buy the albumn.
    I'll agree that illegal downloads do help the industry by getting more worthy (but not necessarily popular) artists album sales. Still, I think it's usually better to not do things illegally - work within the law and it's harder for people to dismiss your rantings as fanatical :P
    ya with itunes there is no subscription but ur still paying 50 cents per song and with napster ur paying half a cent per song, soooo it would take 50 months of music before itunes cost less...
    tsugi wrote:
    ya with itunes there is no subscription but ur still paying 50 cents per song and with napster ur paying half a cent per song, soooo it would take 50 months of music before itunes cost less...

You get what you pay for.
    You get what you pay for.
    Dunno about that. They both seem to have unique problems, and I can't say I can tell the difference in sound quality between them.