Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Incitement of racial hatred...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If that's racism, well fuck me, we live in a world ever sadder that I thought...
    Welsh is not a race...
    i think its a bit dodgy, but people get like that over football all the time. Thats the whole thing with having national teams. You support one and hate the other. It allows people to vent their racism in a socially acceptable way.
    \
    It was a bit stupid of her to use a Welsh flag for archery practice! Things like that are always going to cause complaints now, why not just use something else and not have the hassle?
    Well if someone's offended because they attach some greater meaning to a piece of coloured cloth, then that's their problem. On the other hand, doing it even though you know it will provoke an outcry is a bit irresponsible.
    It's not incitement to racial hatred because the Welsh are not a race, but what she did is not right and probably counts as an offence- something like incitement to public disorder, if such thing exists.

Would anyone have been surprised if a Welshman had spotted that and put a petrol bomb through the window?
    \
    Aladdin wrote:
    Would anyone have been surprised if a Welshman had spotted that and put a petrol bomb through the window?

Yes, of course I would, it would have been a totally stupid over reaction.
    I would not justify such actions, but you know what people are like...
    Aladdin wrote:
    I would not justify such actions, but you know what people are like...
    Galloway, is that you?
    There would be outcry if someone was doing it to the Indian/Iranian/Pakistani flag....
    Renzo wrote:
    There would be outcry if someone was doing it to the Indian/Iranian/Pakistani flag....
    Ah yes but she says it was the dragon, not the flag, that was the target.
    Renzo wrote:
    Not to mention the English flag or the Union Jack...
    Kentish wrote:
    A likely story...
    Renzo wrote:

Try an American flag too...
    Some would kill you over there just to play with the flag...
    \
    Kentish wrote:

Because it would be so hard to get a picture of a dragon from the internet. Methinks a little more tact could be used with such a thing.
    Renzo wrote:
    Because it would be so hard to get a picture of a dragon from the internet. Methinks a little more tact could be used with such a thing.
    Hindsight is 20/20 vision of course. This seems to have been a case of stupidity rather than deliberate aggression.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not to mention the English flag or the Union Jack...
    The Scots and the Welsh always support England's opponent. It's accepted banter, not racism. I read in the paper today that Matalan stores in Scotland have sent back England football shirts because they "foresee no demand". Yet they sell yellow Brasil, blue Italia and other shirts. Although I don't see it as comparable because this Welsh dragon case seems to have been a simple mistake.
    Kentish wrote:
    This seems to have been a case of stupidity rather than deliberate aggression.

Yeah that is what I was going to say
    sophia wrote:
    Really? Would there? If a Welsh or Scottish pubowner was defacing an English flag, would people be bothered? I personally wouldn't give a shit, people could wipe their arses on the flag for all I care, but am I in the minority?
    Many wouldn't give a toss. Others would. But it would be silly to pretend that this would not be the case regardless of whether the flag in question had been Welsh, English, Chinese or Angolan.
    Desecration of a flag is a sensitive issue and likely to offend. That does not mean it should warrant police questioning because it is allegedly racist. (And since when was racism criminalised? As I understand inciting racial hatred is illegal but that does not make racism itself illegal). In the US the Supreme Court declared state laws and subsequent federal laws passed by Congress banning flag desecration to be unconstitutional infringing the First Amendment. As offensive as burning a flag might be (and sticking a few arrows through a Welsh flag is hardly burning the thing) someone has the legitimate right to do it. Of course, within reason – where somebody is likely to incite disorder, say by a few England fans burning a Scottish flag in a crowded area full of Scots there might be a legitimate case for the police to question someone. But using the Welsh flag as target practice in a pub is pretty harmless. This sort of crap is a waste of everybody's time. The police deserve a slap for taking something so pointless seriously enough to question the woman.
    I don't see what's the fucking big deal, it's just a fucking flag, it's just a piece of fabric... People can pee on, shit on or do whatever with a french flag I couldn't care less...
    I think too much importance is given to a piece of fabric...
    This seems to be a bit of a non-story to be honest. Someone phoned the police claiming the lady in question was a racist so they investigated it; they found the whole thing to be nonsense and went on their way. The only person to blame here is the chap who phoned the police, and then they can only be blamed for having a poor taste in jokes.
    This seems to be a bit of a non-story to be honest. Someone phoned the police claiming the lady in question was a racist so they investigated it; they found the whole thing to be nonsense and went on their way. The only person to blame here is the chap who phoned the police, and then they can only be blamed for having a poor taste in jokes.

:thumb:
    Welsh is not a race, it's an etnicity.

Anyway, it's a load of bollocks yet again.
    A case of someone having a humour bypass methinks. I can understand how it was offensive and maybe it is but Y Ddraig Goch had it's revenge........they all missed. :D

Only the Welsh can correctly use a bow :p
    Braineater wrote:
    A case of someone having a humour bypass methinks. I can understand how it was offensive and maybe it is but Y Ddraig Goch had it's revenge........they all missed. :D

Only the Welsh can correctly use a bow :p

In the Wars of the Roses most of the archers were Welsh.
    Renzo wrote:
    In the Wars of the Roses most of the archers were Welsh.

And most of the rest of the army were French. Damn English can't fight their own wars!