Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eyeliner question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought a new eyeliner today (its actually called an "eye definer" and it is brown). How is it best applied so that I don't look like a goth? I'm not very skilled with make up tbh.

Comments

• Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Try putting it on lightly (with a steady hand!) very close to the upper lashes. If you want a more vampy evening look, put a tiny bit of kohl eyeliner on the lower lids. Liquid eyeliner (or any heavy eye makeup) on the lower lids can look scary, and can make your eyes look small and squinty.

If the line looks a bit stark, have a go at putting a bit of neutral eyeshadow over the top to soften up the look.

If the line you draw is a bit wobbly, get a cotton bud with a bit of eye makeup remover on it and gently neaten things up. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Kimono wrote:
    Try putting it on lightly (with a steady hand!) very close to the upper lashes. If you want a more vampy evening look, put a tiny bit of kohl eyeliner on the lower lids. Liquid eyeliner (or any heavy eye makeup) on the lower lids can look scary, and can make your eyes look small and squinty.

If the line looks a bit stark, have a go at putting a bit of neutral eyeshadow over the top to soften up the look.

If the line you draw is a bit wobbly, get a cotton bud with a bit of eye makeup remover on it and gently neaten things up. Hope that helps!

:yes: I agree

Just have a practise, don't attempt eyeliner whilst drunk (this is a problem I often have since I insist on drinking wine while I'm getting ready for a night out)

I use a black/brown eyeliner and I apply it to my lower lids (just in the corner) and to my upper lids (again in the corner and blend inwards). I cant carry off eyeliner across the whole lid as I'm quite pale and it ends up looking too much. I usually balance it with a light eye shadow in the corner near my nose which tends to open my eyes up a bit more and makes them really bright.
  • Options
    i can do the bottom lids fine but when i try and do the top i just cant get it straight... why?!!
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    i can do the bottom lids fine but when i try and do the top i just cant get it straight... why?!!

Same thing here. Its all crooked and about an inch away from the bottom of the lids, no matter how hard I try :p

Therefore, I never wear liner on top.

As for other eyeliner. <3 the liners with the mini sponge on the end, good for blending.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    after many many years of wearing eye liner i have it down to a fine art...i agree with kimono, and you need to lie down on the floor, put a mirror in front of you and lean your elbow on the floor so you have a steady hand.
    take the pencil and draw over the top of your eye lids, pressing firmly but not too hard. try and do it all in one go as to not get the 'jagged' look.
    for a softer look use a kohl liner.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:

exactly the same - and not close enuf to eyelashes - looks awful!! how do you get it so close?
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Try resting your elbow on something so your hand is steady and your line is easier to control. If you're a pro you might do the line in one sweep, but there's nothing wrong in doing it slowly and in sections. Practise makes perfect etc

If you've got a liquid eyeliner, have a go at just drawing the line faintly with the very tip of the pen/brush. Watch as closely as possible in the mirror where the line is going. The slower you go, the more likely you'll spot when you're about to make a mistake.
  • Options
    I've been using liquid eyeliner on the top for years and people have always commented on how well I do it.
    I personally find it easier if I don't lean on anything except leaning my hand on my cheek and leaving my arm free in the air. I use a mirror the size of my face, rather than a compact mirror - seems easier to control the lines if you can see the whole picture, not just one eye.