Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

If there is one thing I hate about the World Cup...

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    I'm not. Im just asking a question because im curious, is the same thing on the front pages in Scotland in Wales cos noone there is going to give a fuck that businesses are "apparantly" stopping people flying England flags but nonetheless shows how Englishness is dominating the papers which are sold throughout the UK.
    Wales used to get their own Star, but it didn't last very long. I think the Mirror and Sun may have done it for a short time too. But I guess it wasn't viable, so they just got the midlands one instead. They're only gonna do it if people actually care, so I guess they didn't. The Daily Record is the scottish Mirror though isn't it?
    Renzo wrote:
    shows how Englishness is dominating the papers which are sold throughout the UK.

Of course, that would have nothing to do with the fact that the English make up the majority of the population
    Of course, that would have nothing to do with the fact that the English make up the majority of the population

I know that of course. But im sure people in the other regions are sick about hearing about Englands world cup and fucking wayne fucking rooneys fucking foot. The latter is driving me nuts.
    Dude, I'm English and I'm sick of the coverage. It has nothing to do with your nationality.

What makes me laugh is the criticism of Andrew Murray and the Scottish First MInister who both said that they wouldn't support England. It's like they'd mooned the Queen. Why the hell should they FFS? We're their nearest neighbour, the auld enemy. Surely we wouldn't be expected to support the French if England hadn't qualified....
    Fucking British public should get a life.

And so sayeth the dole scrounger who spends hundreds of piunds on lingerie :thumb:

As for Scotland, I wouldn't expect them to cheer us any more than I'd be expected to cheer on the cheating Germans. What the sad thing about the Jocks is that they were happy to get knocked out of Euro 96 because if they'd have gone through it'd have been because of us.
    What makes me laugh is the criticism of Andrew Murray and the Scottish First MInister who both said that they wouldn't support England. It's like they'd mooned the Queen.

When Jack McConnell said he wouldn't be supporting England it was the lead story on Reporting Scotland that night - cringeworthy is an understatement.

Just as well we get regional editions of papers. I've no problem with the English editions of the tabloids carrying whatever they like as it doesn't go to Scotland and thus doesn't affect me.

Front page of The Scottish Sun today were the 10 bikini-clad Miss Scotland finalists :thumb:
    Dude, I'm English and I'm sick of the coverage. It has nothing to do with your nationality.

What makes me laugh is the criticism of Andrew Murray and the Scottish First MInister who both said that they wouldn't support England. It's like they'd mooned the Queen. Why the hell should they FFS? We're their nearest neighbour, the auld enemy. Surely we wouldn't be expected to support the French if England hadn't qualified....

I bet Andy Murray is expecting us all to support him at Wimbledon. After those comments i wont be, i hope he goes out first round 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. He is all hype any way, he hasnt got the fitness to win a grand slam
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I support England first and then any other Brit team after that despite the fact most Scotts, Welsh and Northern Irish take pleasure in us losing.

The only time I'd enjoy seeing the other Brit nations lose is if they were beaten by England.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I support England first and then any other Brit team after that despite the fact most Scotts, Welsh and Northern Irish take pleasure in us losing.

The only time I'd enjoy seeing the other Brit nations lose is if they were beaten by England.

Thing is mate, Scotland see England as arch rivals, even if it aint the other way about. If your arch enemies at club level made it to the cup final, would you want them to win, or would you have a good old smirk if they lost?

It's all good natured banter at the end of the day, innit.
    I don't like seeing British nations beaten. I quite like England as a football team, because I like to see people like Rooney shine, it's just the media and some fans I don't really like. If England won, I could be happy for the players. It's only in football though - I take alot of pleasure in watching the rugby team and their bunch of glory hunting toff fans beaten.

Although I don't mind the England football team, I can't deny how jubilant I was when Northern Ireland beat them. That was one of the greatest results ever when you consider how shite we've been over last few years. I'll remember it for the rest of my life.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Thing is mate, Scotland see England as arch rivals, even if it aint the other way about. If your arch enemies at club level made it to the cup final, would you want them to win, or would you have a good old smirk if they lost?

It's all good natured banter at the end of the day, innit.

Nah that's fair enough.
    Weekender Offender 
    Personally I'll be keeping a close eye on any team with a Gooner - past, present or future - in it and that includes England. I forget any rivalries and enjoy the football. As for England being shoved down our faces, couldn't care less. They're just building themselves up for the biennial fall as usual. :p
    film_buff wrote:
    I bet Andy Murray is expecting us all to support him at Wimbledon. After those comments i wont be, i hope he goes out first round 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. He is all hype any way, he hasnt got the fitness to win a grand slam

He's not there representing his country though, is he?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Only such stories turned out to be utter bollocks made up by the Daily Express and repeated by the Mail with gusto (see just about any past issue of Private Eye for full details).
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1752155.html

Something I found within seconds of typing "baa baa rainbow sheep" into google, not got time to look for any more sources at the moment.
    I suspect Ananova is simply repeating the Express allegations. I could be wrong of course. All I can say is that Private Eye reported recently the story was entirely fabricated.
    the chances are we're not going to win it anyway :p