Home Politics & Debate
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Bush: when everything else fails, get gay-bashing

MixBotMixBot Posts: 8,656 Automated Account
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5044428.stm

Thank God for those queers! Always a safe vote grabber to distract the crowds from domestic and foreign troubles alike.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bush is a clown

    "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." - GW Bush the prat
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hang on. How is being against gay marriage somehow a form of "queer-bashing"? Bush is merely saying what he believes. He's a born-again Christian, he believes their teachings. Bush's views about gay marriage have been known for years. This is not new. That said, the timing is suspicious - it usually is when Dubya is concerned.

    On another note, take someone in the British Government. Ruth Kelly has refused to say whether she believes homosexuality is a sin. Opus Dei, the faith which she is a member, teaches this, and she refuses to say whether she agrees with it. I also suspect that some religious members in this government were against civil partnerships - remember how quiet Ruth Kelly was on this? Tony Blair, a self-proclaimed Christian, wasn't exactly vocal in his support either. Why aren't you going after them, denouncing them as "queer-bashers"? Odd how you refuse to attack one group, yet won't hesitate to knock another, isn't it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is there a difference between a "gay marriage ban" and defining marriage as being the union of one man and one woman?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That said, the timing is suspicious - it usually is when Dubya is concerned.

    He may be trying to deflect attention from his own marriage.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would not call him a "queer" basher...

    Adam Yosef of the RESPECT party is more of a queer basher in my opinion.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Hang on. How is being against gay marriage somehow a form of "queer-bashing"? Bush is merely saying what he believes. He's a born-again Christian, he believes their teachings. Bush's views about gay marriage have been known for years. This is not new. That said, the timing is suspicious - it usually is when Dubya is concerned.

    On another note, take someone in the British Government. Ruth Kelly has refused to say whether she believes homosexuality is a sin. Opus Dei, the faith which she is a member, teaches this, and she refuses to say whether she agrees with it. I also suspect that some religious members in this government were against civil partnerships - remember how quiet Ruth Kelly was on this? Tony Blair, a self-proclaimed Christian, wasn't exactly vocal in his support either. Why aren't you going after them, denouncing them as "queer-bashers"? Odd how you refuse to attack one group, yet won't hesitate to knock another, isn't it?
    Okay, Ruth Kelly is scum too, as is Opus Dei. That better?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is no objective "truth" about same sex marriages. If he believes in that then fair play. I myself am a quite conservative person when it comes down to family values, must be my strict Catholic Irish upbringing, not that I don't disagree with same sex marriages but I definately believe they have a right themselves to be against it, and it's not merely a diversionary tactic as you make it out to be aladin. Sometimes I think you get wound up in your own hype, dunno!
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Stalin's Organist Posts: 13,327
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/5044428.stm

    Thank God for those queers! Always a safe vote grabber to distract the crowds from domestic and foreign troubles alike.
    :lol:

    It would be funnier, but it is such a shame he can't just admit he's been a fucking failiure. He should go back to shorting coke with other kids who are rich from daddy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know, G W Bush is now the most unpopular President of America in the post War era ever! He came last of all post war Presidents in a poll taken of Americans, With Ronald Regan coming top as the most popular ands Bill Clinton second.

    Personally i think Bill clinton should have won it.

    As for Gay Marriage, this might upset Dick Cheyney, He has a Lesbian daughter who desires to marry her partner some day.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Hang on. How is being against gay marriage somehow a form of "queer-bashing"?

    Bush has found an easy target to attempt to raise public opinion in his favour.

    For the so-called 'Land of the Free', it's only free if you fit into his narrow-minded scope of biblical interpretation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    I myself am a quite conservative person when it comes down to family values, must be my strict Catholic Irish upbringing, ...

    But if you are not a practicing Christian, why even let the issue bother you?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    But if you are not a practicing Christian, why even let the issue bother you?

    Just because I'm not a practiscing Christian now doesn't mean the values I've been brought up with hasn't still had an effect on me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Basically Bush is trying to push the agenda away from the real issues facing America such as illegal immigration, the economy and the war on terror. I have agreed with Bush on the war on terror, the economy but I disagree with his proposed amendment on same sex marriage. He is forcing his own personal religious beliefs on the mass.

    OK, he disagrees with gay people. How you can disgaree with gay people is impossible really since being gay is not a belief is it a hard fact like someone being straight. To the point though, he disagrees with same sex marriage. What ever we tell him, he isn't going to change his mind. That's fine but my problem is him forcing his views on America and dangerously enough, on the American constitution.

    I doubt this motion will pass since it is tough to get chnage in the constitution. Buit is worrying to see that over half of Americans disagree with same sex marriage. I thought this was the land of the free? they are freeing Iraqi's right now so why are they reveing what has been achieved in the states. It's beyong me!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would not call him a "queer" basher...

    Adam Yosef of the RESPECT party is more of a queer basher in my opinion.
    The RESPECT party is homophobic, even though it states it isn't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Just because I'm not a practiscing Christian now doesn't mean the values I've been brought up with hasn't still had an effect on me.

    But then you are cherry-picking values which do and don't appeal to you ... and if you place religon to one side, there is no reason to oppose same sex civil partnerships?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    there is no reason to oppose same sex civil partnerships?

    Did I ever say I opposed them?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    luke88 wrote:
    The RESPECT party is homophobic, even though it states it isn't.
    Left-wing homophobia is still tolerated all too readily. Were a person from the Right-wing to call for gay people to be castrated, he would be denounced as a nasty little homophobe, and rightly so. But whenever lefties say the same, they moan about their freedom to make spiteful comments being eroded, and play the political correctness card.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Left-wing homophobia is still tolerated all too readily. Were a person from the Right-wing to call for gay people to be castrated, he would be denounced as a nasty little homophobe, and rightly so. But whenever lefties say the same, they moan about their freedom to make spiteful comments being eroded, and play the political correctness card.

    What on earth are you on about? The allegations of homophobia levelled at Respect are to do with their ill advised allegiance with certain Islamic groups. To then extend that into a generalisation about "the left wing" is, well, fucking nuts quite frankly.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    What on earth are you on about?
    Remember yesterday when you made homophobic comments on that thread about abortion? You barely got a slap on the wrist, and even then, you couldn't stop moaning to high heaven about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Remember yesterday when you made homophobic comments on that thread about abortion? You barely got a slap on the wrist, and even then, you couldn't stop moaning to high heaven about it.

    Please point out where I made a homophobic comment or withdraw your allegation.

    Thank you. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Please point out where I made a homophobic comment or withdraw your allegation.
    Going back to that abortions thread, you somehow tried to establish a link between another member's views on abortion with his sexuality. This despite the fact there is no correlation or no relevance between the two. You seemed to be implying that a gay man isn't allowed an opinion on the matter. Jim V later wrote: "your argument that because someone is a gay man, they are not allowed to voice their opinions is a bit of a fucking disgrace. If you feel sexuality is directly revelant here then explain why, because otherwise move the fuck on.".

    As ever, no explanation for what was said, no apology to anyone who many have been offended, no admission that such a view is dangerous and wrong. Of course, we all know that, were it someone else making the same point, you'd have screamed the house down. As NQA rightly noted, it was yet another "typically bullying Blagsta comment".
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    What on earth are you on about? The allegations of homophobia levelled at Respect are to do with their ill advised allegiance with certain Islamic groups. To then extend that into a generalisation about "the left wing" is, well, fucking nuts quite frankly.
    Uhhm yeah and inciting violence against Peter Tatchell in the Desi Xpress, also mocking gay marriage. RESPECT should appologise for what was said by Yosef. The party do take funding from right wing Muslim groups and are pandering to the Muslim vote... Not that all Muslims are homophobic, but some are.

    A lot of the left wing are pretty liberal, but society is fucked up. LGBT communities are still treated like second class citizens.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Going back to that abortions thread, you somehow tried to establish a link between another member's views on abortion with his sexuality.

    No I didn't. What I did do was to point out that his perspective will be different due to his sexuality. An point that no one has refuted btw.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This despite the fact there is no correlation or no relevance between the two.

    I have pointed out what I meant and you seem unable to refute it.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You seemed to be implying that a gay man isn't allowed an opinion on the matter.

    Errrr...no I didn't. That's in your head mate.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Jim V later wrote: "your argument that because someone is a gay man, they are not allowed to voice their opinions is a bit of a fucking disgrace. If you feel sexuality is directly revelant here then explain why, because otherwise move the fuck on.".

    Jim V is not always right. I explained how it was relevant - a point that you seem unable (or unwilling) to refute.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As ever, no explanation for what was said,

    Liar.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    no apology to anyone who many have been offended,

    I said nothing offensive.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    no admission that such a view is dangerous and wrong.

    Since when was stating that gay relationships don't result in children "dangerous and wrong."? :confused:
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Of course, we all know that, were it someone else making the same point, you'd have screamed the house down.

    This says more about your attitudes than anything else. If anyone else made the same point I'd have agreed - homosexual relationships do not result in children. If you can refute that, please go right ahead.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    As NQA rightly noted, it was yet another "typically bullying Blagsta comment".

    So NQA is the arbiter of all that's right and good on these boards? Get a grip mate.

    You've conveniently missed out (a)I explained what I meant
    (b) I didn't make any derogatory comments about sexuality
    (c) that suzy creamcheese agrees with me and understands what I meant.

    Now - will you please point out where I made a homophobic comment or withdraw your allegation.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Uhhm yeah and inciting violence against Peter Tatchell in the Desi Xpress, also mocking gay marriage. RESPECT should appologise for what was said by Yosef. The party do take funding from right wing Muslim groups and are pandering to the Muslim vote... Not that all Muslims are homophobic, but some are.

    A lot of the left wing are pretty liberal, but society is fucked up. LGBT communities are still treated like second class citizens.

    Yep. Respect are a joke.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Now - will you please point out where I made a homophobic comment or withdraw your allegation.
    This could go on all day. It's perfectly clear neither of us are going to see eye-to-eye on this. Since I don't really fancy being responsible for a thread being closed, I'll withdraw the allegation and get back to the topic.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Talking about gays is really gay.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Talking about gays is really gay.
    The fact that the word 'gay' is seen as derrogatory or absurd shows society's level of respect for LGBT communities.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What is a "LGBT community"? :confused:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it? I always thought using "gay" was normal, even queer.

    Fag would be too far imo!
Sign In or Register to comment.