Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hayfever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Nothing constructive to post just wanted to say... :grump:

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Thirded :grump:

I was saying to the boy earlier that we need a wonder-cure. I am sick, fed up of it :(
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mine hasn't started yet.

Are you guys taking your loratadine?
    Kentish wrote:
    Mine hasn't started yet.

Are you guys taking your loratadine?

Yes. And the other one (cetrinize .... something or other?)

It ain't doing too much.

Can you overdose on them? Like, I know it says one a day, but does anything bad happens if you take 2 or 3 a day? :chin:
    That would be naughty.

I've never found cetirizine helpful so I stick with loratadine.

Another one to try is chlorphenamine (Piriton), but it does make some people drowsy so best taken at night.
    Kentish wrote:
    That would be naughty.

But would it do me some damage? :chin:
    I've never found cetirizine helpful so I stick with loratadine.

Loratadine is the better of the 2 IMO.
    Another one to try is chlorphenamine (Piriton), but it does make some people drowsy so best taken at night.

Piriton is just so much more expensive though :(
    But would it do me some damage? :chin:
    The adult dose is 10mg (1 tab) a day. If you take more you'll probably just get nasty side effects without any extra benefit for the hayfever.
    Piriton is just so much more expensive though :(
    Never buy the branded versions if there is a non-proprietary alternative. Always ask at the pharmacy counter and save yourself some pennies ( in many cases pounds).
    flixonase is the shit
    Kentish wrote:
    The adult dose is 10mg (1 tab) a day. If you take more you'll probably just get nasty side effects without any extra benefit for the hayfever.

Never buy the branded versions if there is a non-proprietary alternative. Always ask at the pharmacy counter and save yourself some pennies ( in many cases pounds).

Asda is the bees knees for loratadine :D 90-odd pence :D
    :thumb:
    Although there are a few exceptions..

Some people fly on Piriton, high as a kite, up there the pollen is much less.

Another option is to get it on prescription, you do have to pay the prescription charge but for that I get 3 months worth so it works out cheaper overall.
    I'm constantly sneezing... very annoying!
    mine hasn't kicked in yet. my hayfever is more a severe grass allergy and grass pollen season has only just started.

i was literally house-ridden for around a month last summer. :grump:
    mines beenon and off since march!
    had a really bad cough this week and itchy throat which I get with hayfever was out last night drinking and coughed so much was sick! I remembered why I dont drink in the summer! hayfever uins my life
    Boots and Superdrug both have most of the Hayfever stuff on buy one get one free.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I get it from tree pollen which really aint very good when you live in the New Forest. It does mean however that I'm only affected for a small part of the summer rather than all of it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Same here, and I get bad when I'm near freshly cut grass around this time of year it can be quite annoying after a bit.
    Mine started again last week. I thought I'd grown out of it (I'm 22 now) cos I haven't had it for two years, but it came back with avengance (sp?!) last Monday. I use Flixonase (nasal spray). A couple of doses of that during the first day and I tend not to get symptoms for at least four/five days afterwards. I've been through the years of trying every tablet on the shelf and found nothing worked for me, but Flixonase has been like a miracle cure! Would totally recommend it. Was £6.99 from Boots last week.
    Mine started again last week. I thought I'd grown out of it (I'm 22 now) cos I haven't had it for two years, but it came back with avengance (sp?!) last Monday. I use Flixonase (nasal spray). A couple of doses of that during the first day and I tend not to get symptoms for at least four/five days afterwards. I've been through the years of trying every tablet on the shelf and found nothing worked for me, but Flixonase has been like a miracle cure! Would totally recommend it. Was £6.99 from Boots last week.

Ooooh, I may try that.

How long would a £6.99 bottle last me for, roughly?
    :grump: My hayfever is really beginning to kick in. I can't stop sneezing, my eyes are itchy and my nose is runny.

I keep meaning to go to the doctors to get a prescription...
    Ooooh, I may try that.

How long would a £6.99 bottle last me for, roughly?

it'll last you ages, it's only a relatively small bottle but you only use a few little squirts each time. i hate using it. :grump:
    it'll last you ages, it's only a relatively small bottle but you only use a few little squirts each time. i hate using it. :grump:

yeah i instantly sneeze after using it
    i hate using it. :grump:
    yeah i instantly sneeze after using it

Does it work for you though?

I think the bottle says "contains 60 sprays". You're supposed to use it two sprays in each nostril once a day, so thinking about it (never have done before!) that's only 15 days. But, like I said, I don't need to use it every day - the last one I had lasted me a whole summer. There would have been enough in it to last me the summer afterwards but it was out of date by then. The one I've just bought is okay until Nov 2009 so should last me a couple of summers if I need it!
    I always get prescribed that nostril stuff but don't dare use it. I'm funny about things going up my nose and I'm scared it will hurt. Haha. Am I being silly?
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I always get prescribed that nostril stuff but don't dare use it. I'm funny about things going up my nose and I'm scared it will hurt. Haha. Am I being silly?
    You're silly if you pay £6.50 for something you don't use, yes.
    I don't pay for it.

I get prescribed everything for my hayfever. I get prescribed eye drops, nasal spray and tablets.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I don't pay for it.

I get prescribed everything for my hayfever. I get prescribed eye drops, nasal spray and tablets.
    Just tell the doctor you don't want the nasal spray. It seems wasteful to get it from the pharmacy (whoever is paying) and not use the thing.
    *Stacey* wrote:

Depends how bad your hayfever is and how bad you're suffering. Personally, when I got to the point of trying all the tablets and then being prescribed the spray as a last resort (it was only available on prescription the first couple of summers I got it) I would have tried absolutely anything to take away the pain. By pain, I mean that vice-like feeling across the top of my nose and the uncomfortable feeling of not being able to close my mouth for too long before I couldn't breathe. When you get to that point, you'll do anything!

Just try it. Flixonase takes barely ten minutes to get me from feeling like death to feeling completely normal. You'll never know unless you try... :yeees:
    I've only ever been prescribed the nasal spray once. I still have it. I did keep meaning to use it but was scared of it hurting? I'm a bit of a wimp like that :blush: It hurts when I get water up my nose.
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I've only ever been prescribed the nasal spray once. I still have it. I did keep meaning to use it but was scared of it hurting? I'm a bit of a wimp like that :blush: It hurts when I get water up my nose.

Well I can only tell you about my experience obviously, but it certainly doesn't hurt me when I use it. You don't even feel it if you use it properly - the spray goes right up your nasal passage if you breathe in deeply when you spray it. You won't feel the liquid running back down your nose or anything. Just spray it hard and fast and breathe in deeply as you do.
    Flixonase is a great relief. I can breathe through my nose again and the itchy nose, throat and ears go away almost completely. I find pills don't do anything. Its worth the unpleasant chemical taste.