Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prickly heat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im off to sunny spain in about 4 weeks time and am a bit worried about getting this. ive had it a few times in the past and its not very nice and kind of ruins the holiday. ive tried asking at various chemists and doctors for treatments and they've supplied them but none have been very good except for one time i got these small pinkish pills and they worked perfectly, one pill every 12 hours or so and it completely got rid of it. but they had a spanish name (due to being in ibiza) and ive no idea what they were, any ideas? or any other cures?

Comments

• Options
    When I've had pills for prickly heat they are the same thing you get for anti-allergy and hayfever. I know that prickly heat is not an allergy but that is what they recommend taking for it. Also Eurax cream is ok for the itching but allergy pills are better.

Hope you have a good time :D
  • Options
    OMG I never knew you could get anything for prickly heat. I always get it bad in the summer even when just in the UK. Do those tablets really work?
  • Options
    the little red ones i had worked, but ive been given others that as randomgirl said are for preventing allergies, these didnt really work for me though. ive been prescribed calamine lotion in the past as well but trust me do not use this, it just smells bad and doesnt actually do anything :|
  • Options
    So is it worth just buying something over the counter or going to your GP?
  • Options
    Well i doubt you will be able to get anything from your GP unless you actually have prickly heat at the time you go and it cant hurt to buy a pack of anti-histamines(sp?) (allergy tablets)
  • Options
    It is a well known fact that whenever you have something wrong with you the symptons go away when you go see your doctor and then come back when they are gone. Got any recomended brands or anything to try?
  • Options
    no idea, as i mentioned above, i'd like to know as well.
    I've tried a few difference types and only these little red pills helped me (they got rid of the symptoms straight away!) but i've no idea what they were called :grump:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    I've tried a few difference types and only these little red pills helped me (they got rid of the symptoms straight away!) but i've no idea what they were called :grump:

Well that is not very good not knowing what they were called!!!!! :p Well if anyone else has this problem and has found something that helps then please let me and icey know! :thumb:
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Where did you get them from? OTC or on prescription?

Also it is best to avoid putting cold water on it, it is better to use luke warm water as it aggrevates it less.

Kaz - In my experience Allergy tablets are okay but not 100% great but better than nothing and better than just applying creams. Ask at your pharmacist for which they recommend.
  • Options
    Will go to boots on Monday and ask.
  • Options
    What is prickly heat? Do you mean heat rash?
  • Options
    Anti-histamines do work for prickly heat(heat rash)
    Any of them will.
    Piriton(chlorphenamine) is popular, and the cheapest but you have to take it every 4-6hours.
    Clarityn(loratadine) is good because you only need to take one a day. This is the only guarenteed to NOT make you drowsy.
    Zirtek(cetirizine) not as popular OTC but it is often prescribed, as generic, and its a one a day.

Or just use Eurax or Benadyl cream.
  • Options
    I get sun dermatitis which results in pretty much the same as prickly heat. My GP (in her amusing dry humour) said the only way to stop it is to stay out of the sun. Other than that try a sun lotion for sensitive skins, try to wear high factors so you don't burn. I take anti-histamines and anti-inflammatories but you should check at the chemist which ones you can take together. Also you can get some cortizone creams from the docs/chemists which might help stop the redness.

I ended up in the bloody hospital in the dominican thanks to the stuff so i always travel well stocked up with medicines now :yes: