Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What's with the knife obsession lately?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It seems that, on the BBC in particular, they mention a new knife attack every day of the week during this knife amnesty. Do they think that kids need a bit more of a reason into believing they need to carry a knife "for protection?" If they're gonna do this, they might as well mention everyone that gets hit by a car, then all these "gangs of youths" would keep off the streets for protection and that'd be problem solved.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nothing sells headlines better than fear.
    Or stories about Big Brother contestants...
    its the in thing in the news so every story is being put on the news and is blowignthe attacks out of proportion with other crimes and media coverage, and guess whos going to get the blame the under 25s THE YOUTHS
    and all youths are now tarnished with carrying knives, i've never carried a knife and thousands of kids don't but the media says we do, so of course we must! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

R
    It's been going on for years, the only difference now is that the "evil black gangs" are murdering nice, honest white lawyers instead of each other.

Anyone who carries a knife for protection is an idiot. You're just asking for it to be used against you, as the WPC found out.

Anyone who carries a knife as a weapon should be liberated from their fingers.
    I cut you mayn, fft fffft.
    You call that a knife
    The knife amnesty itself is a pointless waste of time. It is not the knife that is responsible for killings and stabbings, it is the person using it. I have no idea why anyone needs to carry round a knife other than to try and make a "look how tough I am" kind of statement. Which should translate as "look how much of a prat I am". The media blames youths for two reasons (1) the media is stuffed to the rafters with oldies - just look at our newspaper columnists, for God's sake, and (2) young people tend not to deluge their letters pages afterwards complaining about the way they're treated, whereas pensioners moan in the letters pages of every newspaper about everything. Maybe it's a lesson we could learn.
    Chump, if it's a pointless waste of time why have thousands of knives been handed in?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I carry a knife all day long. My job requires it. I got chucked out of Weatherspoons the other day for having it holstered in my trousers.

Bunch of cunts.
    Weekender Offender 
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Chump, if it's a pointless waste of time why have thousands of knives been handed in?
    Where's the thousands figure from?
    Skive wrote:
    I carry a knife all day long. My job requires it. I got chucked out of Weatherspoons the other day for having it holstered in my trousers.

Bunch of cunts.
    Could you not have left it in your van? I got in the habit of taking my tool belt off when I went somewhere that wasn't for work.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Could you not have left it in your van? I got in the habit of taking my tool belt off when I went somewhere that wasn't for work.

You're totally right, yes I could. It's just severely annoying.
    Weekender Offender 
    Can understand it though.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Can understand it though.

Knifes scare the shit out of me. i sued to be one to look for fights whilst on the twon but not anymore. A friend of mine got stuck and lost a large part of gis gut.

That woke me up, and since then I;ve been far more carful. I just wish you could gahve a fight nowadys to sort things out, without the risk of being done over witha weapn.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:

Bunch of cunts.

So what job do you do that requires you carry a knife? Not being accusing, just curious. :)
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    By who though? The gun amnesty had the same effect. The vast majority of weapons handed in were from law-abiding gun collectors. And knives are slightly different to guns anyway. Everyone has a knife in their house. They use them for cutting food or DIY or plenty of other tasks. If someone's determined to carry a knife, the simply removing combat knives isn't going to stop them having access to one. Is a decent kitchen knife not just as dangerous in a fight?
    In fact if you read the articles the knives that are being handed in aren't all your standard stanley blade. There have been samuri swords and bayonets handed in.

No-one can honestly answer who is handing them in, because it's an amnesty, it's annoymous, people are putting them in secure bins, not labelling them and making sure their details are logged correctly.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    In fact if you read the articles the knives that are being handed in aren't all your standard stanley blade. There have been samuri swords and bayonets handed in.
    Aside from being puzzled as to what use anyone in the country could have for a samurai sword, this raises another question. Will an amnesty reduce the number of crimes that involve knives? I suspect we already know the answer.
    I own a samurai sword.

Do you have anything constructive to say? Any better ideas? Because as far as I'm concerned with thousands of unlicenced and illegal blades of the streets and out of reach, I feel better.
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I own a samurai sword.
    Er... why? Will you be handing it into the police?
    Because I like it, and no I won't be.

Fancy answering the question? or too busy cloning drivel from the daily hate mail?
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Do you have anything constructive to say? Any better ideas? Because as far as I'm concerned with thousands of unlicenced and illegal blades of the streets and out of reach, I feel better.

Ah, the illusion of safety.

It's a bit like the old nuclear arms agreements when the US and USSR used to remove several hundred warheads from circulation. They still had thousands aimed at each other though.

This whole amnesty thing is so that the police and Govt can "be seen to be doing something".

At the end of it there will still be stabbings, still be many illegal knives in circulation, possibly in the very hands of those whom have handed over a knife already.

And let's be honest, do you really think that the person most likely to use a knife will be the one who has handed one over?
    It seems that, on the BBC in particular, they mention a new knife attack every day of the week during this knife amnesty. Do they think that kids need a bit more of a reason into believing they need to carry a knife "for protection?" If they're gonna do this, they might as well mention everyone that gets hit by a car, then all these "gangs of youths" would keep off the streets for protection and that'd be problem solved.

It's like a few years ago the papers were full of stories of people being attacked by dogs .. and then all sorts of laws were changed - I'm sure the dog's didn't all get together suddenly and start to attack people - i had been going on all the time - it just depends on whether on not anyone does a story on it.
    And let's be honest, do you really think that the person most likely to use a knife will be the one who has handed one over?

Indeed not, but enough of them will be young people handing over the knives that make them "feel safer on the street" so random accidents will be less likely to happen. You know what I mean? The frightened young man who carries a knife to be like everyone else, but never meant to use it, and if he could only rid himself of it...

ETA: as an afterthought, after an amnesty, the police can be much harder with the support of the community because they've been generous to start with.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

Exactally. Tell the people they are unsafe... and they'll look for ways to protect themselves... say a knife. They then get arrested for carrying said knife, arrest rates go up, and it looks good on data sheets... and they can say the police must be doing a good job, because arrests are up!

All goes full circle.
    So what job do you do that requires you carry a knife? Not being accusing, just curious. :)

Carpet fitter.
    Weekender Offender 
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Exactly, ornaments and war memorabilia. Not the type of things that people bring out when they want to mug someone, or expect to be attacked themselves. Of course you can only assume what type of people will hand them in. But I don't think it's a huge jump to assume that the very action of handing them to the police means they will in most cases be law-abiding citizens.

I would say hate is up there...
    won't this only temporarily reduce the number of knifes being carried though?