Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting ready for Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've finished my exams, got my decisions in from universities, made my decisions, sorted out my SAAS (student loan form) Now what do I do to prepare for actually starting uni?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nothing really, relax and have fun for a bit.

Then a week before you go, see what you're using everyday, and pack it, or buy a spare to take with you.

Well thats what I did, some 5 years ago, and I was ok. If you forget something, you can always buy it, or borrow it from the new friends you'll make.
    if you havent arranged it yet, then sort out your accommodation :) think about if you want to stay in halls or somewhere private.

other than that, i would just suggest buying your cutlery and other bits and bobs youre going to need when away (bed linen, lamp, tv etc etc)
    yeah just start planning what you're going to need to buy and buy it gradually over the summer instead of leaving it all til the last minute!
    if there's anything specific you need to do for your course, your uni will send you letters and stuff once youve definitely got a place.
    enjoy having money while you can! haha no erm...you could save some money. but that's for weirdos. :p

just chill out. after all unless you take a gap year or something, you'll be going straight into work after 3 years at uni.
    oh and, theres a website called newstudent.org. i think thats it... you can go on it and find people that are going to your uni and possibly doing your course too and generally have a chat with them! i went on it a couple of years ago and weirdly, i ended up living in the same flat in halls with a guy id been chatting to on there!
    id say learn to cook a few simple meals if you cant cook / havnt really cooked before

spag bol, lasagne, are always good as they can be cooked and then frozen into portions so you just need to microwave them
    Jazza wrote:
    I've finished my exams, got my decisions in from universities, made my decisions, sorted out my SAAS (student loan form) Now what do I do to prepare for actually starting uni?
    Have you sorted out the accommodation arrangements yet? Best get on with that if you haven't. Meantime, I can only suggest what I'm doing. I'm trying to buy some more of the essential items I need - for me, these include more clothes, I'm also going to need more cutlery, more stationery, a laptop... I've also, amidst all this, got to try and save some money to make up any potential shortfall. Not easy when much of your earnings is going towards this stuff.
    melanie wrote:
    id say learn to cook a few simple meals if you cant cook / havnt really cooked before

spag bol, lasagne, are always good as they can be cooked and then frozen into portions so you just need to microwave them
    I second that :yes: as its suprising how many people come to uni and cant cook anything at all...you dont need to be a chef by any means..but knowing how to cook a few simple hot meals is always good :)
    H-face wrote:
    I second that :yes: as its suprising how many people come to uni and cant cook anything at all...you dont need to be a chef by any means..but knowing how to cook a few simple hot meals is always good :)
    A few months ago, I raised this point with a friend of mine. Basically, I could barely cook a thing. So, nicebutdim23 kindly started up a thread entitled "recipes for the stressy SG". Now... well, I can cook a little more than before, put it that way. :p
    Kat_B wrote:
    oh and, theres a website called newstudent.org. i think thats it... you can go on it and find people that are going to your uni and possibly doing your course too and generally have a chat with them! i went on it a couple of years ago and weirdly, i ended up living in the same flat in halls with a guy id been chatting to on there!

Same happened to me last year, I ended up living in a flat with a girl I'd been chatting to on that site. This time round, I've found someone doing the same course as me, doing two of the A Levels I did at the same college I went to. I imagine some of the uni forums are different to others (the one I was on last year tended to be stressed out freshers, but this year it's mostly second years using it as their own forum) but it's nice to get some advice specific to your uni and even your exact course.
    I'm staying at home! But I guess a lot of that does apply such as the learn how to cook etc since I might actually get a place of my own (all growed up :D etc)
    Only two things to prepare!

Getting drunk and having fun! :thumb:
    turlough wrote:
    Easy for you to say, you do that practically every night. :p
    turlough wrote:
    Only two things to prepare!

Thats why i'm going :p
    GoodFella wrote:
    Thats why i'm going :p
    Takes all sorts, I suppose.
    Nah i can't wait. Really can't. Even thinking about buying things to take to uni gets me excited. Accomadations all sorted and my loans nearly sorted as well. Just a few more months now :D
    GoodFella wrote:
    Nah i can't wait. Really can't. Even thinking about buying things to take to uni gets me excited. Accomadations all sorted and my loans nearly sorted as well. Just a few more months now :D
    I wish I could be that enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, a side of me is looking forward to all this, but deep down, I'm terrified as well.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I wish I could be that enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, a side of me is looking forward to all this, but deep down, I'm terrified as well.
    well... its a total life change... of course you're likely to be nervous and i doubt you are the only one. after all everybody is in the same boat - and i guess it would do you good to remember that, might help relieve the anxiety a bit. you'll be fine i'm sure. :)
    Yeah, everyone will be scared. Maybe not yet, but they will be. Last year I had absolutely no nerves whatsoever til about a week before, when I started to absolutely brick it because of all the what ifs - 'what if I'm not cut out for it?', 'what if I hate the city', and mainly 'what if I don't get on with my flatmates?'

There'd be something wrong if you didn't have any worries at all before you went, in my opinion. So long as you're willing to give it a go and make a real effort, you'll be ok.
    i wasn't scared, i was excited. :D
    Lil Laura wrote:
    There'd be something wrong if you didn't have any worries at all before you went, in my opinion. So long as you're willing to give it a go and make a real effort, you'll be ok.

I totally agree. everyone gets nervous before going to uni, but almost everyone i know has a brilliant time. It's a little nerve-racking when you move into halls with new people for the 1st time, but remember that everyone will be in the same boat as you and no-one will be out to make enemies! Just be yourself and have fun :cool:
    i wasn't scared, i was excited. :D

Not even a teeeeeeeeeeeeny bit nervous?