Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

London Terror Raid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1223529,00.html

250 officers from the met police and Mi5 have lauched a major terror raid in East London, one man was shot (not life threatening) and another arrested. Police have set up a 1mile non-fly zone and are wearing NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suits.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lol i'm glad i didn't go into work today then.......doesn't sound that bad tbh and they're not evacuating the public, so i wouldn't get carried away by the hype.....
    They cant even shoot terrorists properly anymore.
    Let's hope he's not Brazilian
    NQA wrote:
    Let's hope he's not Brazilian
    Let's hope he is, and his name's Ronaldinho.
    Let's hope he is, and his name's Ronaldinho.

:yes:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    bongbudda wrote:
    They cant even shoot terrorists properly anymore.
    :lol:

He's probably an innocent tourist.

Ah well, at least it looks like the Met are donig something and keeps that illusion going I guess, even if nothing is acheived.
    from what ive read so far, the stated fact (from the met) that the raid was done 'to confirm intelligence' which isn't that wise a move most oftenly unless it's a decoy raid to distract from a more serious investigation is the only dodgy thing

apart from that and the of 'shoot to kill' not being used here, despite it's apparant necessity as claimed from the brazilian's murder it's actually been a professionally carried out raid, which if it's gonna be done, is the best way of doing it

im waiting to hear more

and i live near there :p
    It says something that most of the replies to this have been jokes, none of us take it seriously anymore the police raid somewhere and shoot someone and its nothing, grim when you think about it.
    London, England.

Some TERRORISTS thought they could get away with making CHEMICAL WEAPONS. So the Polce stormed in, armed and ready. These DANGEROUS CRIMINALS were aprehended without any harm to the PUBLIC.

What could have been a DEVESTATING terrorist attack resulted only in a MINOR GUNSHOT WOUND to one suspect, that to months of observation from the dedicated officers of the Metroplitan Police Force.

Now these terrorists will learn a little lesson about messing the UK police - IN JAIL!

I think the news should be read like this.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think the news should be read like this.

The tabloids already do.
    bongbudda wrote:
    The tabloids already do.

True.

But the Beeb should employ Sheriff J.B for the News at 6. I wouldn't stop laughing for a week.

He could make anything interesting. Even the drought.
    It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

It's naive to deny that we face a deadly threat from extremist Muslim terrorists who are intent on destroying innocent life and will not relent until Britain is Islamised. And it's blindly optimistic to believe that other extremist Muslims will not try to repeat the barbarity and terror of 7/7.
    scaremongering...
    There is always the possibility this was a genuine raid on genuine would-be terrorists, guys.

Of course the government doesn't do itself any favours by scaremongering and lying about terrorism and national security, as it has consistently done for the last 5 years.

But sometimes, just sometimes, there is a genuine case.

We will never know for sure though.
    Aladdin wrote:
    There is always the possibility this was a genuine raid on genuine would-be terrorists, guys.

That's by far the most likely 'possibility.'

250 officers involved and an air exclusion zone over East London for four days. Sounds pretty serious to me, I'd be very surprised if there aren't good reasons for such a big operation.
    That's by far the most likely 'possibility.'

250 officers involved and an air exclusion zone over East London for four days. Sounds pretty serious to me, I'd be very surprised if there aren't good reasons for such a big operation.

Do you want me to list all the big opperations that weren't really anything? There are quite a few.

But I agree, I reackon they had some real intel on the guys. Hope so anyway, I'd hate to think they shoot innocents these days.

Oh, wait..
    It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.

It's naive to deny that we face a deadly threat from extremist Muslim terrorists who are intent on destroying innocent life and will not relent until Britain is Islamised. And it's blindly optimistic to believe that other extremist Muslims will not try to repeat the barbarity and terror of 7/7.

a threat deadlier than getting hit by a drunk driver at xmas?
    probably just a couple of guys cooking up a little meth.
    I find this site hilarious sometimes, I mean the police shoot to incapacitate someone and they get slated for not doin it properly, but if they had shot him in the head, everyone would be up in arms complaining that it was "unessesary" and all that :lol:
    But seriously, was watching the news and this is aparrently a intelligence raid, Mi5 had reason to believe this guy was a threat and they moved in on it, they may be wrong or they me be right, but they had to make sure. They have to go in big like this just in case. The thing is, as we all go about are daily lives the police and intelligence agencies are working hard to track suspected terrorists and threats down, they know things we dont, and we'll probably never find out. They have probably been phone tapping these guys and keeping track on them for ages, and who knows what they've been saying or planning.
    The police's standard rules of engagement is to give a warning and if they dont respond, to shoot at centre of mass (to kill) or to incapacitate (which is what they did this time). They also use somthing called 'Operation Kratos' which basically means that if they think someone has a bomb vest or somthing, they will shoot the guy in the head without any warning, that's what happened with the guy on the train.
    They also use somthing called 'Operation Kratos' which basically means that if they think someone has a bomb vest or somthing, they will shoot the guy in the head without any warning, that's what happened with the guy on the train.

And with that in mind, does anyone think it is time for a gun amnesty,especially for people with uniforms ?
    I find this site hilarious sometimes, I mean the police shoot to incapacitate someone and they get slated for not doin it properly, but if they had shot him in the head, everyone would be up in arms complaining that it was "unessesary" and all that :lol:
    But seriously, was watching the news and this is aparrently a intelligence raid, Mi5 had reason to believe this guy was a threat and they moved in on it, they may be wrong or they me be right, but they had to make sure. They have to go in big like this just in case. The thing is, as we all go about are daily lives the police and intelligence agencies are working hard to track suspected terrorists and threats down, they know things we dont, and we'll probably never find out. They have probably been phone tapping these guys and keeping track on them for ages, and who knows what they've been saying or planning.
    The police's standard rules of engagement is to give a warning and if they dont respond, to shoot at centre of mass (to kill) or to incapacitate (which is what they did this time). They also use somthing called 'Operation Kratos' which basically means that if they think someone has a bomb vest or somthing, they will shoot the guy in the head without any warning, that's what happened with the guy on the train.
    your just so new!
    Operation Kratos? As in the god of war? Nice naming......
    Mi5 had reason to believe this guy was a threat and they moved in on it

...forgive your questioning stance, but haven't we heard that before?
    they may be wrong or they me be right, but they had to make sure.

.. and if they are wrong, doesn't this "just to make sure" approach justify shooting someone?
    The police's standard rules of engagement is to give a warning

Which is a point under some confusion today, the shot man claims there was no warning. If that is true, would your opinion change?

What about the previous shooting incident, where no warning was heard by any witness?
    They also use somthing called 'Operation Kratos' which basically means that if they think someone has a bomb vest or somthing, they will shoot the guy in the head without any warning, that's what happened with the guy on the train.

Is that actually an acceptable reason to kill someone?
    I find it unbelievable how naive the majority of the English public are on the actions of Mi5! Ah couldn't even be bothered trying to explain half of it.
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1223529,00.html

250 officers from the met police and Mi5 have lauched a major terror raid in East London, one man was shot (not life threatening) and another arrested. Police have set up a 1mile non-fly zone and are wearing NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) suits.

300 Police men seems like over kill - I've seen the police do a raid in a normal street where I live and they had 2 vans full of police - may be 30 cops in all which was more then enough - when you've got as many as 300 cops in one small street you're probably more likely to have misinformation spread throughout the police on the seen.
    your just so new!
    :lol: :thumb:
    300 Police men seems like over kill.

Exactly, what on Earth were they all doing? They could have filled the house twice over with that many Police.

And the no fly zone has a lot more to do with TV helicopers than anything else.
    300 Police men seems like over kill - I've seen the police do a raid in a normal street where I live and they had 2 vans full of police - may be 30 cops in all which was more then enough - when you've got as many as 300 cops in one small street you're probably more likely to have misinformation spread throughout the police on the seen.

Well out of the 250 officers or so there probably were two vans in the street, loads of people working the internet, intelligence officers, race relations officers, support officers, bomb difusal on standby, detectives, forensics, chemical weapons experts?? etc. So I think '250' is a number that can be played around with by the media quite a lot.

It is still quite a lot though, but everything needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.