Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Migraine.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have headache from hell.

Been to see college nurse who reckons it's Migraine.

Have hit the usual Paracetemol and Ibuprofen.

Anyone got any other ideas? Current state is lying in my room with the curtain shut feeling pathetic.

Comments

• Options
    Sleep works for me. Mayb sound odd, but when I used to get migraine, I got told to eat something...
  • Options
    Does it hurt when you look at the light?

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=496
  • Options

Anyone got any other ideas? Current state is lying in my room with the curtain shut feeling pathetic.

I find that the best option when I get migraines ;)

If they are frequent enough I'd suggest seeing a Dr, though if they are just once in a while things, do you have OTC migraine specific medicines there? They are very very helpful, imo. Much better than your average pharmacutical. "Excedrin Migraine" if you have that. I think thats a great one.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Quiet evening, dark room, eyes closed and try and get some rest.

That's the best thing IMO.

Hope you feel better soon though.
  • Options
    I get migraines. I don't eat whilst I have one becasue I find my digestive system stops working so eating while migraining just makes it more likely I'll vom. A large glass of water with pain killers, dark room and additional anti-sickness tablets, 24 hrs and then I'm usually ok again.

Although noise is really painfull, I actually find it helps to have a really really quiet tv on but not looking at. Your brain will automatically tune in to the human voices, trying to determine the words- if the room's totally silent my mind concentrates on the pain and I start to panic, which only makes it hurt worse... Have another glass of water, or cup of tea- dehydration and crashing blood sugar levels make migraine worse.
  • Options
    something cold on your forehead can be pretty soothing too. those sticky cold plaster things look handy, but i just go in for the cold damp flannel action. if it ain't broke....
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help, has eased up a lot now.
  • Options
    Try ...

I do as all the others suggest - dark room, no sounds, don't feel for eating as it might come up again - but I do find that if you take Migraleave tablets (from Pharmacy) as soon as you can feel the migraine developing that it never gets as bad.
    Although I'm in bed for 3-4 days when it really hits me. :-(
  • Options
    Avoid painkillers except aspirin.
  • Options
    Being as it was 2 years ago, I have recovered!
  • Options
    Would have been a pretty bad migraine otherwise!
  • Options
    Oops:D
  • Options
    what do you have against painkillers other than asprin too?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what do you have against painkillers other than asprin too?

It's the current advice given by neurologists. All painkillers can actualy give you headaches and in the case of migraine it is now thought best to avoid them but take aspirin to thin the blood. Thinning the blood is because migraines can actualy cause very small strokes in the brain.