Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tongue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:nervous: i just noticed my tongue has a kind of pale yellow coating on it :s That really doesn't seem right... is this a symptom of anything in particular?

Comments

• Options
    Does it brush off?
  • Options
    nope!
  • Options
    Eaten anything yellow recently?
  • Options
    lol, no... it's definately not staining as far as I know... I did actually notice this before but thought nothing of it, I just wasn't sure if it was a deficiency in something or maybe an allergy?
  • Options
    Doubt it. Have you googled?

Mouth care
  • Options
    I googled but it only came up with 'far eastern tongue diagnosis', it said something like "heat on the yang side" or something lol, I couldn't make much of it tbh ...
  • Options
    Always click 'pages from the UK' for anything health related. ;)
  • Options
    uk google comes up with the same stuff : o

apparently i need to "cool down my blood". I'll just eat a bag of ice then, sorted :D
  • Options
    I would go for really good oral hygiene.

Brush your teeth for at least two minutes twice a day, at least 20 mins after eating. You will need some form a clock for the time, its so much longer than you think it is. Also try using mouth wash.

Your tongue will go funny colours occasionally depending on what you eat. Also make sure you drink plenty of water, being dehydrated does funny stuff to the colour of your tongue.
  • Options
    i have brushed my teeth two times a day religiously (give or take a few times obv) for the last 12 years ;p

I drink 4 pints+ of water a day, and i don't have bad breath (unless i've eaten garlic :p)... That was really why i asked, because i was pretty sure it wasn't something trivial like that.
  • Options
    Well if your doing all of the above then it is probably worth asking about next time you see your doctor/dentist.

If it's worrying you then make a special appointment.

Just as a side comment its worth making sure you are brushing your teeth properly. You need to do each one with 5 strokes, lets see if I can explain.

Once at the top, on this one your mainly brushing gum and a bit of tooth.
    Secondly the side of the tooth,
    next the flat bit you bite on,
    then the other side,
    then the other top.

I'm not saying your not doing it right, just lots of people manage to brush their teeth twice a day to remarkably little effect.
  • Options
    I haven't had any fillings etc as of yet, I do all the ones you said except the gum bit, I guess i'll start doing that (not that it'll make much difference to my tongue lol :D) anyway thx for the advice.
  • Options
    Have you recently been going down on someone or rimming anybody?
  • Options
    could be oral thrush?
  • Options
    have you had a cold or anything recently? - it could be cattarh that's causing it, or sometimes a change in bowel habits or something digestive could also cause it too.
  • Options
    no, no and no ;p

It's probly something to do with student diet or something, i dunno... i'll start to worry more if i really feel bad i guess
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    i have brushed my teeth two times a day religiously (give or take a few times obv) for the last 12 years ;p

I drink 4 pints+ of water a day, and i don't have bad breath (unless i've eaten garlic :p)... That was really why i asked, because i was pretty sure it wasn't something trivial like that.

How do you know if you have bad breath?

Most people are immune to their own smells and those living with them long term.

if you want to test of bad breath lick the back of your hand and then wait 5 minutes and see if your hand smells.
  • Options
    "if you want to test of bad breath lick the back of your hand and then wait 5 minutes and see if your hand smells."

that is how i know ;p
  • Options
    BTW Jaundice - causes a yellow tongue
  • Options
    How do you know if you have bad breath?

Most people are immune to their own smells and those living with them long term.

if you want to test of bad breath lick the back of your hand and then wait 5 minutes and see if your hand smells.

Maybe I"m weird, but if I have bad breath I tend to notice. You can taste it :yuck:

Anyways, I have no help for you, sorry :(

My tongue turned weird colors after I got it pierced and excessivly used mouthwash, maybe have you been going overboard on the mouthwash lately? Or maybe changed that would leave colors? Or chewing a colored gum?
  • Options
    I was going to say maybe it's your mouthwash too. Some of them stain... as does coffee and smoking...
  • Options
    might be the coffee then... been drinkings tons of it recently cos of exams!