Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

If there is one thing I hate about the World Cup...

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
it's bullshit like this...

1412484.gif

Of course things can only get worse. Once England starts playing prepare for the tabloids to start making jokes about the opposition, probably a quick reference to the women of the country in question sporting facial hair.

After Spain I want England to do well but I have to say it sometimes reaches the point when I almost look forward to England being knocked out to shut the fucking tabloids' big mouths and stop the silliness.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    After Spain I want England to do well but I have to say it sometimes reaches the point when I almost look forward to England being knocked out to shut the fucking tabloids' big mouths and stop the silliness.

I can go one better there; the tabloids and tabloid-headline-spouters do make me look forward to England being knocked out. The fact that it's being played out in Germany this time is the perfect excuse for thinly-veiled (or unveiled, some might say) jibes and a lot of pathetic, long-term grudges to manifest themselves in shit "journalism" etc.

I wouldn't wipe my arse on The Sun, how anyone could take it seriously when it has a big "UP YOURS" on the front is beyond me... :lol:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    briggi wrote:
    The fact that it's being played out in Germany this time is the perfect excuse for thinly-veiled (or unveiled, some might say) jibes and a lot of pathetic, long-term grudges to manifest themselves in shit "journalism" etc.

"Two World Wars and One World Cup...."

:lol:

Banter, chants and isults are part of football. Most of it aint serious.
    Weekender Offender 
    Aladdin wrote:
    I almost look forward to England being knocked out to shut the fucking tabloids' big mouths and stop the silliness.

Have to agree, I get more narked at Motson/Tyldsley and co, forgetting that it's actually four countries that pay their wages, yet the coverage only seems to suit the one country.

Not really arsed about whether England do well or not, although I hope if they do get knocked out then it's fair and square by a superior team (can see that happening), like happened at the last World Cup, saves a lot of moaning about the penalty spot/referee.

BTW, I don't really care about the fans banging on about 1966 that much. I bang on about when we won the ECWC in 1983 just as much. I just think the commentators go OTT with it (even in a random game with no English interest whatsoever), when a lot of people watching (including some English I'd guess) just want them to shut it.

Don't want them to win or lose any more than I do France, Italy or anybody else, in all honesty.
    Whats the problem with the story in The Sun again??

Why can't we fly the national flag?? Why are people stopping us doing this?? We live in England FFS and if people from different relegions/backgrounds etc. etc. don't like us flying OUR national flag, they should get the fuck out of our country.
    \
    sophia wrote:
    No one is stopping you flying the flag of St George.

Don't believe all the shit you read on the front page of the Sun.
    Ok, so quite a few firms across the country haven't told their employees they can't fly the national flag??

It pisses me off, really, its political correctness gone totally off the fucking wall. We see it on a regular basis now, not just with football, and I think its out of order.

I've read quotes from muslims saying they don't mind the flag being flown as it is our national flag and this is the correct way to be but I've also read quotes from muslims saying the flag symbolises war n suffering etc. (this is not JUST from the sun either). People who come and take immigration in our country should just fucking deal with it as they've immigrated here for a better life and they are getting that better life, if they are against England and our flag they should fuck off IMO, but this is just my opinion and some people will probably slate me for it.

Sorry but the over the top political correctness just really fucks me off.

I'm English and proud and should be able to fly the flag whenever and where ever I want and no-one should be able to stop me.

Why can't we fly the national flag?? Why are people stopping us doing this?? We live in England FFS and if people from different relegions/backgrounds etc. etc. don't like us flying OUR national flag, they should get the fuck out of our country.
    Don't fall for the usual piffle the tabloids spread Lick... in the immense majority of cases people are being asked not to attach flags to their vehicles because they present a hazard- especially if they go on motorways like workers at Heathrow Terminal 5 do. I have seen plenty of flags on the road already, and I would not appreciate having a 5 x 4ft flag dettaching itself from the multi-flagged scaffolding truck in front of me and landing on my face as I ride my bike.

Other times companies and businesses simply don't have a policy of flying flags of any type in their windows or fronts. I don't see anything unreasonable about that.

Workers are entitled to wrap themselves in St. George's flags in their free time if they so want. Nobody is banning them.

As usual this is just another load of bollocks by the tabloid press.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Workers are entitled to wrap themselves in St. George's flags in their free time if they so want. Nobody is banning them.
    The taxi firm (i think) and a Fire station have being stopped from flying the national flag because of the multi-cultural society. Now thats bollocks and no-one can deny that, we're in England FFS, people (including firemen at work) should not be stopped from flying the flag.
    \
    Ok, so quite a few firms across the country haven't told their employees they can't fly the national flag??

It pisses me off, really, its political correctness gone totally off the fucking wall. We see it on a regular basis now, not just with football, and I think its out of order.

I've read quotes from muslims saying they don't mind the flag being flown as it is our national flag and this is the correct way to be but I've also read quotes from muslims saying the flag symbolises war n suffering etc. (this is not JUST from the sun either). People who come and take immigration in our country should just fucking deal with it as they've immigrated here for a better life and they are getting that better life, if they are against England and our flag they should fuck off IMO, but this is just my opinion and some people will probably slate me for it.

Sorry but the over the top political correctness just really fucks me off.

I'm English and proud and should be able to fly the flag whenever and where ever I want and no-one should be able to stop me.
    But in the immense majority of cases it has nothing to do with "political correctness".

It wouldn't make a difference if truck drivers decided to wrap their vehicles in European Union, Labour Party or gay rights Rainbow flags. If it is not company policy to adorn their property with non-work related stuff, it isn't. And if it presents a hazard to others, it does.
    The taxi firm (i think) and a Fire station have being stopped from flying the national flag because of the multi-cultural society. Now thats bollocks and no-one can deny that, we're in England FFS, people (including firemen at work) should not be stopped from flying the flag.
    I honestly would take such stories with a pinch of salt. Tabloids are more often than not distorting the truth when reporting such cases.

Chances are that the taxi firm and fire station in question would say 'no' to any flag of any type and nationality, not just an English one. Though that doesn't make as interesting headlines for the tabloids of course.
    sophia wrote:
    Exactly. Just like some offices have uniform policies, or some bars have dress codes, some workplaces etc might say that they don't want any national flags flying. Don't fall into the trap the sun are trying desperately to lead you into, which is to get whipped up into a state of jingoistic frenzy and righteous indignation for no reason.
    I don't fall into any "trap" thank you very much, am old enough and damn right ugly enough to make my own mind up about things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cambridgeshire/5036378.stm
    What about this story?? Against rules to fly flag at home after world cup??

Sorry but quotes from "non-english" people saying the flag symbolises hatred etc. just really get my back up and quite rightly so I believe.

This is England and everyone in it (english or not) should fucking accept that or get out IMO.

Our children can't sing baa baa black sheep anymore, we're not allowed to call a blackboard a blackboard but its ok having a Whiteboard.

Sorry but this country is slowing going down hill with regards to all the political correctness against people who aren't even fucking english in the first place. Live with it or get out.
    Oops, I'd better be off then...
    \
    Why would you want to fly an English flag after the World Cup?
    sophia wrote:
    where in that article does it say that it's anything to do with political correctness please?
    Like I fucking said I make my own mind up, I think this all boils down to not upsetting "non-english" which in my eyes is political correctness, OK???
    Why would you want to fly an English flag after the World Cup?
    Cos I'm English and fucking proud
    Anyway half days me on Friday so am off to chill in the sun with an England flag flying from my house and enjoy my weekend, I'll join back in the discussion on Monday, thank you and good night :p :wave:

Have a good weekend everyone.
    \
    Our children can't sing baa baa black sheep anymore, we're not allowed to call a blackboard a blackboard but its ok having a Whiteboard..
    Only such stories turned out to be utter bollocks made up by the Daily Express and repeated by the Mail with gusto (see just about any past issue of Private Eye for full details).

Do you actually think that Peterborough city council is discriminating against England flags? It isn't- there is one policy in place for all flags regardless of their colour or nationality.

You're just willingly falling into the S*n's trap.
    I fail to see what's wrong with The Sun campaigning to let people fly the flag of this country in their workplace.

You wouldn't get this sort of shite from a local council in the US or Scotland.
    Then again you wouldn't get foreign tabloid newspapers claiming political correctness is lurking from every corner, saying women from opposition countries are ugly and have moustaches or continuing to make cheap WWII jibes 60 years on.
    So do the Sun do a different front page for Wales and Scotland are have they been forgotten about? :chin:
    The thing I hate is that the tabloid are given this ammunition in the first place by various bans.

The Health and Safety one is just pure bollocks. Look along any motorway and there is more debris than just flags lying around, but there isn't any talk about banning anything else.

Ther are cases, and you must accept this Aladdin, where the "multi-culture" excuse is used, again it's bollocks and the people using it should be ashamed. Instead of promoting inclusion they are suggesting the opposite.

Sure the likes of the Sun, Mail and "Diana was murdered" Rag will use this to hype their own xenophobia, but why give then the ammo?

Personally, the thing I hate the most about the World Cup is the massive pre tournament hype by people who really couldn't give a shit about football for more than one month every two years.
    I heard that you have to have a license to fly a flag anyway, the union jack at any rate.
    Mmm... I remain skeptical about the multicultural issue MoK. It might have happened on rare occasion. In 99% of cases that is not the reason at all.

Why on earth should a business be forced to display any flags because a number of their workers like footie?
    Aladdin wrote:
    Mmm... I remain skeptical about the multicultural issue MoK. It might have happened on rare occasion. In 99% of cases that is not the reason at all.

But it only has to happen once and it's a big story for those rags.

Besides, it should be a big story if something is banned on those grounds.
    Why on earth should a business be forced to display any flags because a number of their workers like footie?

I don't think that they should any more than I think that it should be banned. It's a choice issue really. If a taxi wants to display a flag then why shouldn't it?
    The Health and Safety one is just pure bollocks. Look along any motorway and there is more debris than just flags lying around, but there isn't any talk about banning anything else.

What health and safety? The health and safety rules are shit, people just either enforce them wrongly beacuse they are totally meaningless half the time, or they guess at what the law might meant to have said and get it wrong that way.

Personally I'm looking forward to the back of the whole World Cup, the whole country is decked out like a Loyalist Estate in Belfast.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote:
    So do the Sun do a different front page for Wales and Scotland are have they been forgotten about? :chin:

Why try and make this into a Wales/Scotland v England thing? What has the Welsh flag got to do with this story?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Why try and make this into a Wales/Scotland v England thing? What has the Welsh flag got to do with this story?

I'm not. Im just asking a question because im curious, is the same thing on the front pages in Scotland in Wales cos noone there is going to give a fuck that businesses are "apparantly" stopping people flying England flags but nonetheless shows how Englishness is dominating the papers which are sold throughout the UK.

I'm English and can't tolerate the English flag being shoved in everyone's faces.

Fucking football. You can't get away from it. Fucking British public should get a life.