Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Babies aborted for not being perfect

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote:
    Why not? It's not as rare as you think, see the statistics I posted. What is a good 'excuse' besides the woman having to be on her deathbed? Sterilisation can also fail, I've seen abortions due to this as a result. If people have taken measures not to get pregnant, it fails them, and they don't want to be pregnant, why should pregnancy then serve as a 'punishment'?
    That's your choice. If I was a woman and got pregnant as protection failed I couldn't have an abortion, I couldn't live with my self. If I couldn't handle a baby I would adopt it. As long as it lives because it deserves a life like I have. By no means though would I ever push my ooinions on this issue, it's up to the individual and I respect that.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    That's your choice. If I was a woman and got pregnant as protection failed I couldn't have an abortion, I couldn't live with my self. If I couldn't handle a baby I would adopt it. As long as it lives because it deserves a life like I have. By no means though would I ever push my ooinions on this issue, it's up to the individual and I respect that.

Do you then accept that abortion is a viable option for some people? I believe it should be legal and as safe as possible. I'm active because some want to take that choice away. My mum's friend was forced to have abortions due to the one child policy back in China a long time ago. I'm against this because it takes away people's choices, and I'd be against people trying to take away your choice if you wanted to carry a pregnancy to term. It's possible to be personally pro-life and politically pro-choice.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Do you then accept that abortion is a viable option for some people? I believe it should be legal and as safe as possible. I'm active because some want to take that choice away. My mum's friend was forced to have abortions due to the one child policy back in China a long time ago. I'm against this because it takes away people's choices, and I'd be against people trying to take away your choice if you wanted to carry a pregnancy to term. It's possible to be personally pro-life and politically pro-choice.
    If there was legislation in this country to make abortion illegal I wouldn't support it.
  • Options
    go_away im generally agreeing with you here, but would you not agree with me in that having an abortion past the legal deadline for non-serious medical conditions like a cleft palette for example wholy negligent of the doctors doing it as it is not a serious medical reason, or life altering condition on the baby to be
  • Options
    Burster wrote:
    These prochoice people feel a little guilty deep down when you call the foetus a baby or an unborn child. I think they know really.....
    Well I think a lot of people do feel guilty for their abortions, especially if they werent really sure. I dont think anyones gonna pretend its an easy peasy thing to go through. Its easy for some people, Its a RELIEF for a lot of people. Mostly I think its probably something the individual considers carefully and makes their decision on what they feel they can cope with. i dont think anyones under the illusion that it couldnt grow into a baby, that doesnt necessarily mean they feel guilty, and it doesnt necessarily mean they dont. People do what they need to do according to their circumstances at the time, and a lot of pro-choice people believe in a womans right to choose, whether or not they believe its a baby or not, or whenever they think life begins.
    Does that make sense?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    Just out of interest what happens when you have twins in China?
    you are allowed more than one child in china now :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    It's possible to be personally pro-life and politically pro-choice.
    Absolutely.
    A hell of a lot of people are.
  • Options
    but would you not agree with me in that having an abortion past the legal deadline for non-serious medical conditions like a cleft palette for example wholy negligent of the doctors doing it as it is not a serious medical reason, or life altering condition on the baby to be

Cleft palate can have serious medical consequences however, my best friend was born with one (and was undetected for 3 days) and needed a lot of surgery etc which required her mother's whole time/effort etc as GWST pointed out in her mum's experiences with her sister.

In order to establish negligence, one needs to prove there was a duty of care, that duty of care was breeched, and harm was caused by that breech. I think Kenish would probably that question better as I'm not sure if it falls within the realm of negligence.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Which is always rare... though this is no excuse to have an abortion.

Are you having a laugh? Ok example say there was a couple who were in their early 20's and were students or high flying business types and the contraception doesnt work...are they supposed to give up their their lives just because something was an accident?

You cant talk about "if it was me" either. You are not a women, you will never have to go through the trouble of making that decision.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    In order to establish negligence, one needs to prove there was a duty of care, that duty of care was breeched, and harm was caused by that breech. I think Kenish would probably that question better as I'm not sure if it falls within the realm of negligence.
    I wouldn't have said it is medical "negligence" to abort a fetus with a handicap that is not considered by some to be "serious". It would be technically illegal of course, but that's not the same as negligent. Indeed, one could argue that it is negligent not to abort a fetus when there are sufficient grounds. Tricky one.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Cleft palate can have serious medical consequences however, my best friend was born with one (and was undetected for 3 days) and needed a lot of surgery etc which required her mother's whole time/effort etc as GWST pointed out in her mum's experiences with her sister.

thanks for the info :thumb:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Indeed, one could argue that it is negligent not to abort a fetus when there are sufficient grounds. Tricky one.
    Really? What are considered to be 'sufficient grounds'?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Are you having a laugh? Ok example say there was a couple who were in their early 20's and were students or high flying business types and the contraception doesnt work...are they supposed to give up their their lives just because something was an accident?

You cant talk about "if it was me" either. You are not a women, you will never have to go through the trouble of making that decision.
    No I'm not having a laugh. Simple adopt the baby.... let it live... just like they are!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    No I'm not having a laugh. Simple adopt the baby.... let it live... just like they are!

Having a child is still a very painful and emotional experience though. Why should someone have to suffer it because its an accident when it can be prevented when the thing is a few cells?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:

It's not that 'simple'. To give up an infant for adoption, you have to go through a pregnancy and give birth. Despite what some people may think, it's not 'just 9 months'. Ask anyone who has carried a pregnancy to term and given birth. I was very much a wanted pregnancy, but my mum doesn't romanticise the fact that it wasn't always a case of cute kittens and sweeties.

And quite frankly, I'm insulted that you think the process of adoption is 'simple' for all parties involved. I have a friend who gave up her baby for adoption, and I have friends who have adopted. It's emotional, uncertain and at times, very frustrating - and that's the people who want to do it, not the ones who would be forced into it by being forced to gestate. It's not like swapping a sweater, so show birth mothers, the children and their parents some respect, it's not always the panacea it's made out to be.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Really? What are considered to be 'sufficient grounds'?
    I just meant that the law allows women to undergo an abortion within the framework of the Abortion Act and subsequent legislation. So to deny an abortion when there are legal grounds could cause problems for an individual doctor or NHS Trust.
  • Options
    I read about half of this thread, regardless of whether it is done early or not doesn't concern me.

The fact people are having abortions for minor defects in itself is completely immoral, and disgusting.

I was lucky to see my first scan when my son was just 3mm long in total! And even from seeing that spec, I loved him and would of done anything for him. the 20 week scan was the most moving then I've ever experienced apart from the birth itself !

It's sick!
  • Options
    The fact people are having abortions for minor defects in itself is completely immoral, and disgusting.

Agreed. There are a few reasons why I'd have an abortion and one of them isn't minor defects.

You obviously don't have a clue, do you? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    That's your choice. If I was a woman<snip>

You're not though are you? You're a gay adolescent male. And there's the rub...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're not though are you? You're a gay adolescent male. And there's the rub...

What relevance is his sexuality?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    What relevance is his sexuality?

Do you want me to draw a diagram?
  • Options
    yes please
  • Options
    When a man and a woman love each other very very much, the man puts his penis in the woman's vagina and they make love. The sperm can then fertilise the woman's egg and make a baby.
  • Options
    I like to call it "a special cuddle" :yes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    When a man and a woman love each other very very much, the man puts his penis in the woman's vagina and they make love. The sperm can then fertilise the woman's egg and make a baby.

And exactly what relevance does his sexuality have on this discussion?
  • Options
    You need a diagram too? Blimey, sex education today...I blame Thatcher.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You need a diagram too? Blimey, sex education today...I blame Thatcher.

I dont have a clue what you're going on about either. Perhaps explain something for once.
  • Options
    I'm really shocked you'd resort to such a bigoted method of debate Blagsta.

Although you may be correct in saying that abortion isn't going to have the same perspective for a man, your arguement that because someone is a gay man (as opposed to you, who as a straight man if perfectly okay to join in this debate) they are not allowed to voice their opinions is a bit of a fucking disgrace.

If you feel sexuality is directly revelant here then explain why, because otherwise move the fuck on.
  • Options
    And exactly what relevance does his sexuality have on this discussion?
    He just believes that gay people can't have opinions on abortion as they won't be making babies on the whole.
  • Options
    I like to call it "a special cuddle" :yes:

:lol:

Well, this thread is a bit of a hornet's nest, I can see blagsta's point about a male (any male, regardless of sexuality) moralising about when women are and are/should be allowed to have an abortion. I'd say it's pretty easy to have such blanket, righteous views when it's not a situation you will ever, ever be in.

But, I digress. Of course it's not a nice, fluffly thought that there are women who abort their pregnancy because of a relatively minor defect, but to be honest I would support the woman's decision to do what is right for her and never judge in that position. Of course there are people who will think that's a depraved, disgusting attitude to "human" "life", but I'm a depraved, disgusting kind of person ;)