Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
not sure if this is in the rite bit or not. ive been cutting myself 4 6 months and recently my parents found out. my mum has turned weird and making me ave counselling which i aint comfortable with, i go along with it 2 make her happy. im not very good at talking 2 her but anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure your mother has the best of intentions, and is struggling to get her head around things. It's unchartered territory for most parents - and most people.

I guess that there will come a point where you feel that you might like to talk to someone, and try to understand why it is that you do what you do. Or, maybe there will be a day when you start to think that there could be a better way to deal with things. But until that day(days?), talking when you don't want to isn't likely to be of much help.

Maybe just sit down with your mother, and be truthful with her about things? If you can help put her mind at rest, and explain to her that you're dealing with things in your own way, then maybe she'll feel more comfortable talking to you about the situation rather than trying to take control?

Welcome to thesite, by the way :). Feel free to ignore me - I have a habit of talking drivel, especially a 1.12am :).
    If you want to stop though, even if you only want to stop very occasionally then it's worth sticking with the counselling. Stopping self harm on your own is very difficult.

Important thing is to try not to lie out and out to the counsellor, even if your not good at talking.
    Hey, welcome to TheSite, another thread that you may find useful is:
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=33791

How do you feel about councilling? It's really good that you have your Mother's support, and that she's making you see a councillor, but if your heart isn't in it- and your seeing a councillor to keep famly happy, then it may be more difficult for you, as you are going for their sake, and not yours.

How do you feel about giving up self harm? If you want any helpful links, then feel free to PM me, I have quite a few, which I have used, and which have been really helpful for me. Even if you want to let off some steam/chat etc, then PM me if you wish :)

Take care x
    i do want 2 stop self harming but not sure how 2
    Therapy is a good way to start. Don't go because your mother makes you, go to help yourself.
    mambo90 wrote:
    i do want 2 stop self harming but not sure how 2
    I have found that taking my mind off of it, and finding distractions are really helpful for me.
    Will link in a post about distractions...

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1661774&postcount=2163
    i heard tapping your wrist is supposed to be a good way of dealing with the urge