Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    You can use the same argument to say that we shouldn't even identify ourselves as British either, just part of the human race.

Exactally my point. But we take one step at a time.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can use the same argument to say that we shouldn't even identify ourselves as British either, just part of the human race.

Not really, I can see where your coming from, but its not really the same, were all part of the same country, the world is totally fragmented into many countries.
  • Options
    Potnoodle.
    Fuel of Britain...isnt it
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Potnoodle.
    Fuel of Britain...isnt it
    Nah. Tea is the fuel of Britain.

Either that or Tesco Kick. That stuff is the best fuel on earth. Energy!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Yeah I know but it's more than what the English have got.

The United Kingdom Parliament? 80% of the MP's are from England. I'd say that was pretty much English. The Scottish Parliament and Welsh assembly were established as the two regions never ever voted for many conservatives yet they were dominated by Conservative governments. You're such a little Englander. Careful some immigrants might get into parliament...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    The United Kingdom Parliament? 80% of the MP's are from England. I'd say that was pretty much English. The Scottish Parliament and Welsh assembly were established as the two regions never ever voted for many conservatives yet they were dominated by Conservative governments. You're such a little Englander. Careful some immigrants might get into parliament...

I do not want Scottish Welsh or Northern Irish MP's voting on legilsation that affects England only... where is the justice in that?

Yeah we all know about the past but lets forget that as we have devolution now. England deserves at least English only votes. It is only fair.
    Yeah call me what you like. You got the English right.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I like all Brits tbh. We are all just British.

If all the twats who hated the other parts of Britain stopped doing so and we could all get along more as one nation... then we'd be better off overall. All of us.

Fair enough.

But I think we should hate eachother with equal measure, including ourselves. That's fair. :)
  • Options
    btw, all the London lovers. My scottish female friend has worked on the investment banks for many years. MANY of the top jobs are held by scotsmen/women. her being a scotswoman was quite surprised just how much london benefits from being able to choose staff from the whole UK, especially scotland.

for that matter, cities like Brussels benefit hugely from the brits and irish as well.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I do not want Scottish Welsh or Northern Irish MP's voting on legilsation that affects England only... where is the justice in that

Northern Ireland has been ruled from England for 34 years now! Where's the justice in that?

I like a bit of banter, I like slagging of other countries, just like I slag off Protestants from time to time. I also like being slagged for being Irish and Catholic, it's all a bit of craic as long as you know your limits and don't go too far.
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder why this country hasn't descended into another civil war. All the ingredients are there...:D
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    I like a bit of banter, I like slagging of other countries, just like I slag off Protestants from time to time. I also like being slagged for being Irish and Catholic, it's all a bit of craic as long as you know your limits and don't go too far.

vice versa & word. :thumb:
  • Options
    The Scots hate people who go to a different building on a Sunday. What do you expect from us really?

The Scots hate evey one. We hate people who have the nerve to live two miles from us, of course we are going to hate other nationalities!

Or, we might all be like me and not actually give a shit. There seems to be this idea that we all actively hate the English, when really we don't actually think about it. It might be because I live in Edinburgh, which is different from the most parts of Scotland, no matter what they say, but the England hating is very dull and tiresome.
  • Options
    Infinite speaks the truth.

Most scots don't actually give a fuck. It's all just a bit of craic at the end of the day.

You'll rarely find a scotsman who venomously hates the english.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I do not want Scottish Welsh or Northern Irish MP's voting on legilsation that affects England only... where is the justice in that?

Yeah we all know about the past but lets forget that as we have devolution now. England deserves at least English only votes. It is only fair.
    Yeah call me what you like. You got the English right.

I totally agree. It is only fair that on matters that have been devolved to Wales, Scotland and NI, that our MPs should not vote.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Northern Ireland has been ruled from England for 34 years now! Where's the justice in that?

Agree with the Fenian :D

In Northern Ireland you can't even vote for the Labour Party or Lib Dem as they don't put forward any MPs. At least the Tories stand (since the late 80s if I remember) even if they get hardly any votes. And if you think councils in England have no powers, those in Northern Ireland have been absolutely gutted.

The English were offered devolution through regional assemblies - they turned them down, so you can hardly sit around complaining you're hard done by.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder why this country hasn't descended into another civil war. All the ingredients are there...:D

I was always told to only support the English in two things; cricket and war. :)
  • Options
    If you followed modern cinema in any way...

THE BADDIE IS ALWAYS ENGLISH.

t'is pantomime.

ETA: everyone should follow patomime as a lifestyle.
  • Options
    The prime minster is scottish (born in Edinburgh), the home sec is scottish and theres a couple of other cabinet ministers who are scottish, so I wouldnt say the government is dominated by the English. Plus a large proportion of the military is scottish and welsh (and 60% of the SAS is scottish!). As I said before, were all British!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Renzo wrote:
    The United Kingdom Parliament? 80% of the MP's are from England.

And the majority of the population of the UK is English so that's not a bad representation is it?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    On the original subject, of people hating the English (welsh in this case).
    If welsh people are going to hate the English, then shorely they should then accept worse hate directed at them from Black people or those from any other nation Briton colonised. Saying
    "Ah yes boyo but we were oppressed by the English as well"

Isn’t really going to go down that well is it, not compared to Slavery and colonisation, of a different kind to that which the Welsh experienced.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    And the majority of the population of the UK is English so that's not a bad representation is it?

It certainly isnt. Hence no need for an 'English' Parliament. As someone said above there were chances for regional governments and they were rejected.
  • Options
    An English parliment is a waste of time and money. All that needs to be done is that only the English MP's in Westmister are allowed to vote on purely English issues. Simple really.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    In my experience you can have a good bit of banter with the Scotts - they're good at taking the piss, they can handle it when it's aimed back at them and they can take the piss out of themselves. The English arn't so good at it but the Welsh are the worst. One piss take out of Wales or the Welsh and they throw a fit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

There have been so many agreements to try and solve the crisis of devolution and neither side can agree with each other. Therefore it's their problem, not the british governments. Until they can work with each other, direct rule will be applied.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Agree with the Fenian :D

In Northern Ireland you can't even vote for the Labour Party or Lib Dem as they don't put forward any MPs. At least the Tories stand (since the late 80s if I remember) even if they get hardly any votes. And if you think councils in England have no powers, those in Northern Ireland have been absolutely gutted.
    Northern Ireland would be a million miles ahead now if they learnt to sort them selves out. They would be granted higher devolution than Scotland, even though i don't thinkt here is offically higher devolution, but you know what I mean.

I have no pity for them when the DUP nor SF will work with each other.
    NQA wrote:

The English were offered devolution through regional assemblies - they turned them down, so you can hardly sit around complaining you're hard done by.
    Regional assemblies in England is a New Labour idea, not an idea from the English people who would prefer English only votes or a Parliament which Scottish, Welsh nor Northern Irish MP's can vote on legilsaiton that affects England only.

Scotland, Wales and so did Northern Ireland had their problems with voting sorted i.e parilaments and assemblies therefore it's only right to grant the English fair representation.

England seems to be ruled by Scotland half the time.... you've got Blair, reid, Brown... Labour party... Scottish Labour MP's...
    Yes I know about the Tory past so don't keep onabout it... I'm talking about today not millions of years ago.

Yes the English voted against regional assemblies and I would too, but I campaign for fairier representation and voting.
    I do not want regional assemblies which will brake my country up. We are England... not the Midlands or the South east. England. Therefore we want a institution that unites us.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I was always told to only support the English in two things; cricket and war. :)
    You missed out rugby and football in the summer woohooo!
    Shame we could never ever support Scotland wales nor Northern ireland as they have never achieved anything.
  • Options
    The prime minster is scottish (born in Edinburgh), the home sec is scottish and theres a couple of other cabinet ministers who are scottish, so I wouldnt say the government is dominated by the English. Plus a large proportion of the military is scottish and welsh (and 60% of the SAS is scottish!). As I said before, were all British!
    If only the other areas other than England were so passionate about being British.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    A lot of the goevrnments MP's are Scottish and that is the main thing. Scottish, Welsh and N.I MP's voting on English issues is the problem. So much hyporisy from them.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    It certainly isnt. Hence no need for an 'English' Parliament. As someone said above there were chances for regional governments and they were rejected.
    Like I've said, regional assemblies are about braking up England and we don't want that. Plus it will lead to more red tape... more money wasted.

There is a need for an English parliament when you have over representation of Scotland, Wales and N.I. Whom have their own parliaments to deal with their bread and butter issues. Can vote against top up fees in their respective countries but vote for them in England! Flaming hypocrisy!!

Plus there are so many Scottish people in the Labour government, plus when Scottish MP's are voting on tight bills in England... if they wasn't allowed to vote, the outcome may have been different. This is what's important.

Come on it's hardly difficult is it... if you're English you can vote on English issues. Volia!
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Like I've said, regional assemblies are about braking up England and we don't want that. Plus it will lead to more red tape... more money wasted.

There is a need for an English parliament when you have over representation of Scotland, Wales and N.I. Whom have their own parliaments to deal with their bread and butter issues. Can vote against top up fees in their respective countries but vote for them in England! Flaming hypocrisy!!

Plus there are so many Scottish people in the Labour government, plus when Scottish MP's are voting on tight bills in England... if they wasn't allowed to vote, the outcome may have been different. This is what's important.

Come on it's hardly difficult is it... if you're English you can vote on English issues. Volia!

When will it get into your head that the Welsh and NI assemblies are virtually powerless! Methinks luke is a little englander...doesnt like immigrants, doesnt like the scottish, welsh or irish....
This discussion has been closed.