Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feels like a lump in my throat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I doubt its anything serious but i thort that i would ask just incase...

Since sunday (when i got back from spain if that might be of any relevance) i have felt like i have erm something in my throat. Each time i swallow it feels like something is catching for need of a better word just where my coller bone starts. It doesnt stop me swallowing/ make anything painful / affect my breathing. its just more irritating than anything else as i can feel it constantly even if im not swallowing.

any ideas?

i wasnt going to go to the doctors about it as its not urgent i was joust going to leave it a few days and then mention it to the nurse on wednesday (next week) when im going anyway .

cheers :D

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fish bone?
    tried eating some bread?
    it couldnt be a fish bone as i dont eat fish, i havn't eaten anything of any interest really just toast more than anything, so yes to the bread aswell
    may sound silly but have you been over exerting your vocal chords?
    what i meant was if you have something stuck in your throat, bread is meant to be good for helping to dislodge it.
    well i have just got back from the doctors because it got to the point that i couldnt brethe during the night and aparently its athma
    i got given a ventolin blue inhaler.

I was told to take it four times a day as and when needed and before bed.
    Its not doing anything tho. Aparently its ment to make it easier for me to breathe but i still have to take tiny little breaths or i get really bad kind of internal pains across my collor bone area. Its not to bad when im sat upright but if i lie down even little breaths hurt lots.

I have an exam with the external examiner first thing in the morning and i had no sleep last night and desperatley need to get some tonight.

I have an appointment with the athma nurse next week and il go back before that if the pain doesnt ease but its not much use for tomorrow

So is my inhaler ment to work instantly, should it ease the pain or just make breathing easier?

also if anyone has / had a similar problem how do / did you sleep?

cheers
    From what you've said thus far, it doesn't sound like asthma at all. And the blue inhaler should help your breathing.

Is it worse when swallowing or breathing?
    Kentish wrote:
    From what you've said thus far, it doesn't sound like asthma at all

i did think that at the time but i was at the just give me something to stop it hurting stage
    Is it worse when swallowing or breathing?

breathing is a million times worse. it hurts when i breathe. I can still feel the what feels like a lump when i swallow but that isnt painful
    Do you cough?
    no not really , i have been on holiday for a week but i think i had a bit of a chest infection before i went that cleared up while i was away. (I do cough occasionally in the morning but i think that has more to do with me smoking than anything else)

the doctor said that it wasnt a chest infection that i up with me now because i dont have a rattley chest other than in one place
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I used to get asthma quite badly and have had chest infections in the past as well - I always found sleeping on a couple of pillows really helped me sleep and stopped me panicking about not being able to breathe.

Also try doing the whole steaming thing (head over bowl of hot water and olbas oil) - although you don't have a cold it still helps open the airways. Not to worry you but once the doc said I didn't have a chest infection, but I did have one and ended up rather poorly so listen to your body and if it hurts a lot when you breathe in (espesh when you walk) I would say to go back to the docs again as you may need antibiotics...
    Hope you feel better soon
    :)
    dont drink after starting to take your asthma pump either, I never got told this and had 4 pints and felt a bit silly after!
    for how long? for the whole day or imediatley after?
    dont drink after starting to take your asthma pump either, I never got told this and had 4 pints and felt a bit silly after!
    Probably more due to the 4 pints than the inhaler... :p
    It could be a raised or infected gland. (hi everyone, my first post! I'm a qualified medicine counter assistant) Do you have a high temparature, aching joints or muscles?
    Or if it's at the top of your back it's more likely to be a muscular 'knot' which can be sorted out with a good massage and some yoga.

If in doubt see your gp.