Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

5-htp?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've heard a lot about this but never tried it.

Apparently if you take it after a heavy night pilling it's supposed to help with the comedown and builds serotonin levels.

But what I'm wondering is if you took 5-HTP before a heavy night out then would it increase the rush?

I googled it but had no luck, only information on 5-HTP after ecstacy use. Any info would be cool :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try looking on erowid, and in particular their tryptophan vault and some personal accounts.
    erowid wrote:
    Q: Does taking 5-HTP or other supplements before MDMA or psychedelics increase the effects?

A: Unfortunately its hard to say for sure, since Context, Body Rhythms, and Mind Set, while annoyingly repeated as explanatory, can have surprisingly profound effects on the content and character of psychedelic experiences.

That said, however, it also seems quite plausible to think that preloading with a collection of tryptophan and other neurochem precursors could increase the experienced effects of LSD, MDMA, or other serotonin-affecting drugs.

We have a number of reports from people saying that taking 5HTP before and/or during an MDMA experience increases the subjective effects. We also have a few reports from people who found no qualitative difference when using 5HTP with ecstasy or LSD. Some users report that taking melatonin (not something you mention) can shift an LSD experience quite a bit.

With my own experience of tryptophan and phenylalanine as having distinctly non-placebo psychoactive effects by themselves, I would not be surprised at all if these combined with other psychoactives in noticeable ways.

The other confounding factor, of course, is just a matter of dosage, since very few people have access to extremely reliably measured dosages of LSD, or MDMA. A small change in dosage of these chemicals can easily lead to subjective effects which could be attributed to the supplement.

There is also the chance that loading with 5-HTP or other supplements could cause adverse reactions and we have a couple of idiosyncratic reports where users experienced severe side effects, nausea, vomiting, blackouts, etc when combining 5-HTP with ecstasy. These reactions can and do occur without supplements on ecstasy, but the possibility of adverse combination is something to be aware of.

Personally I've taken 5-HTP before and after taking MDMA. I think taking 5-HTP between nights out probably helped to get me into the next night, but the effect on the first night wasn't really noticable. But it could depend on how long before you take MDMA you take the 5-HTP, and what dosage.
    Cheers wooooah.

I might still give it a try, gonna read up some more about it when I get home from work. Thanks for the links :)
    another piece of info for you can be found here;

5-HTP

I draw your attention to the effects of articificially high levels of serotonin in the blood stream, which can be found in the Pharmacology heading and include fibrosis of the heart. I might do a bit on this in my Podcast actually.

Fucking around with your serotonin on a regular basis is GOING to have some short to moderate effects beyond the mechanism of action of this drug, so be careful, dont take more than you need for a buzz and use it sparingly (E that is)
    I bought a bottle from hollands and barretts a couple of weeks back an have tried it (£14.99 for 60 tablets! ouch!)...Would say sleep wise, I had sum really strange dreams wile takin it, an of a morning waking up was a bit grogie, dunno whether this was down to me just having late nights or the 5-htp... My mentality while on the stuff seemed chilled and calm, but arguably this could have just been down to my positive surroundings..

Pill wise, strangely enough, the weekend I dropped wile takin 5-htp, the pill experience was amazing, felt very much like my first time, but what makes me doubt it was the 5-htp was that my friend whod taken the same batch of pills felt exactly the same, but hadnt taken any 5-htp, thus it probably being down to a good batch of pills (WISH we could find them again they wer fab [gud Sharks])...BUT the comedown from the weekend wasnt as bad at all, felt pretty normal and clear headed so it obviously does something!

Still, at £14.99, its a bit of a sharp price to pay, and I personally wouldnt say they were worth that, but hey, if u wanna try it, it did something for me! ;)
    Just a little real world expirence, I've had awful headaches after taking with amphetamines. It works really well , brings my mood back, but destroys my head !
    killing:

you wanna watch that mate, taking this WITH amphetamines is not advised.
    killing:

you wanna watch that mate, taking this WITH amphetamines is not advised.
    I know, i have this dilema, I can't do well in school without amphetamine. It's legit though, I'm prescribed 30mgs of Dexedrine three times daily now. Works like a charm, thing is, it puts me in the shittiest mood! I can't function socially and become very depressed. I've tried every other ADD medication (except Desoxyn methamphetamine) with no success. It's either my grades suck, or my life sucks. Damn this world.
    what is it with americans and ADD?
    Addict wrote:
    what is it with american doctors and ADD?

Is more the question.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Is more the question.

:chin: :thumb:
    I know, you hardly hear of it over here. It seems every other kid in the US has a ADD/ADHD!
    Uprising wrote:
    I know, you hardly hear of it over here. It seems every other kid in the US has a ADD/ADHD!

I suppose it makes the pharmaceutical companies millions and diverts attention from bad parenting.

With this statement I make no presumptions about anyone on these boards, ok?
    i'll agree that everyone "has" ADD these days. But beleive me, I've been on one kind or another kind of medication since 2nd grade. I have the highest dosage in my school. If anyone has ADD, it's me.
    The over-prescriptions of Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, Adderall XR, Strattera, and Dexedrine are because of two things.
    The doctors like you are saying. It's a very profitable market to be in. You convince everyone that they need an expensive medication taken everyday and you're pretty much set.
    Parents is another thing. School's are very exclusive, very hard to get into and very competative. Having an advantage over the other people makes it easier to get into a more prestigous school. So parents push doctors for prescriptions.

It's interesting though, doctors will not prescribe the more abusable medications until you have a good history with some of the less abusable medications.
    The whole thing is just ridiculous
    If you are paying your doctor directly it makes it harder for him to say no.