Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alternative Medicines

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just don't get why you brought Holland and Barrett into this. They haven't conned the NHS into buying anything that isn't proven. And their sales on the high street are no different to the stuff the pharmaceutical companys sell with promises of soothing your throat and curing your cough. In both cases, it's only those buying them that have to pay, unlike when the NHS has to pay for anything.

On the main point, I agree with you. Nothing that's unproven should be payed for.
    a lot of people don't need or want proof.
    they are happy handing over their tenner ...week after week ...for something that makes them feel good or better.
    if it only makesthemm think they feel good ...then how much better can you get for tenner?
    no ...theres a limit to what should be available on the nhs.
    those who can't afford to buy it ...are probably not missing out on much.
  • Options
    I brought it up because I'm sick of the unintelligent criticism of pharmaceutical companies who make billions out of us poor gullible consumers, whilst people would happily buy all sorts of unnecessary supplements and herbal remedies from another High Street brand which doesn't even provide any evidence for their products. I use Holland and Barratt as an example, not for any specific reason. Have you seen the "allergy tests" they offer in some of those places? Pure bollocks peddled as medicine, along with all the "cures" that supposedly get rid of the allergy. And if you look into the type of homeopathy that is offered by the more serious practitioners, it is all to do with lifestyle and not all about the like-cures-like silliness.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Have you seen the "allergy tests" they offer in some of those places? Pure bollocks peddled as medicine, along with all the "cures" that supposedly get rid of the allergy. And if you look into the type of homeopathy that is offered by the more serious practitioners, it is all to do with lifestyle and not all about the like-cures-like silliness.
    and this mate ...is the legal trade in powders potions herbs and tonics.
    and ...if these things were made illegal and ended up being sold on street corners ...there would be bloodshed.
    people who buy their tonics on the corner ...don't like getting ripped off.
  • Options
    Or if we legalised drugs, they might be peddled as cures on spurious evidence. :chin:
  • Options
    Wasn't Lucozade a 'cure' for something originally?
  • Options
    Wasn't Lucozade a 'cure' for something originally?
    Back in the day. I think it was the only thing most people had access to. Don't forget the NHS was only formed in 1948.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I find it amazing that so many people will pander to this hippy bullshit.

If it isn't proven to work (even through some sort of placebo effect) then it should not be provided by the NHS.....

http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/327/7429/1459

worth a read

might even make a few of you smile!
  • Options
    Gotta love the Christmas edition of the BMJ:
    Contributors: GCSS had the original idea. JPP tried to talk him out of it. JPP did the first literature search but GCSS lost it. GCSS drafted the manuscript but JPP deleted all the best jokes. GCSS is the guarantor, and JPP says it serves him right

:D
  • Options
    i can grow in my herb garden or on my windoe=wsill ...a wee plant thast can act as a relaxant or stimulant ...an anti depressive ... a sour rce of pleasure or relief ...a pain killer and an emotional crutch ...and it works in a miriad of watys for an an amazing amount of people and conditions.
    treoule is ...you can grow it on youre windowsill ...drugs companies don't like it ...or governments.
  • Options
    i can grow in my herb garden or on my windoe=wsill ...a wee plant thast can act as a relaxant or stimulant ...an anti depressive ... a sour rce of pleasure or relief ...a pain killer and an emotional crutch ...and it works in a miriad of watys for an an amazing amount of people and conditions.
    treoule is ...you can grow it on youre windowsill ...drugs companies don't like it ...or governments.

Rubbish, there is no big push for the drug companies to ban it. The law against cannabis has everything to do with governments wanting to look tough and very little to do with drug companies.