Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

money issues

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:grump:

I'm moving out of my flat and was going through some things and realised that my next installment of my tv license (£32.87 paid quarterly) is due to come out tomorrow (1st June). Thing is I'm moving out of my flat within the next few days and I obviously don't want to pay it.

Went to my online banking to cancel it. I did but the site noted that any direct debits within the next 3 days which are cancelled will still go through. Which means that my money is still going to go?

I don't want to give those fuckers any more of my money when I'm not even going to be there. I know it's my fault for not cancelling it on time, but is there anyway I can prevent myself losing this money?

Also, can someone explain the 'loopholes' for getting back bank charges please?

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    You can claim full quarters back from the TV Licensing people.

They may go, they may not. Banks say it to cover their own backs, basically. Guarantee nothing.

For claiming back charges, there is a precedent in English law that means that the penalties in a contract cannot be higher than the cost of the default. Go overdrawn by a penny and £30 charges are not reasonable, and can be claimed back. You will need to fight for it though, you're probably best off PMing Cheese on Toast who's just done it himself.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You can claim full quarters back from the TV Licensing people.

They may go, they may not. Banks say it to cover their own backs, basically. Guarantee nothing.

For claiming back charges, there is a precedent in English law that means that the penalties in a contract cannot be higher than the cost of the default. Go overdrawn by a penny and £30 charges are not reasonable, and can be claimed back. You will need to fight for it though, you're probably best off PMing Cheese on Toast who's just done it himself.

Sometimes if you just moan to the bank then they give it you back straight away. My friend went and asked them why they'd charged her, they explained it was because she spent too much or something like that, but then refunded her anyway (and if I recall, told her to watch what she spends next time :p).

Really good step-by-step guide on moneysavingexpert, fortunately I've not had to do it myself though.