Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"British Values" on the National Curriculum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On the news this morning I noticed an interesting story about how the government wish to begin teaching "British Values" such as freedom and democracy as part of citizenship lessons. This is, by their own admission, a direct response to the July 7th bombings.

As far as I can tell, the idea is to force British cultural values onto those from other cultures, mainly muslims. What I don't understand here is that, if these values have innate importance, they should call them "British", since surely they should be the target of any society if they really are so important. By calling them British values, rather than more general societal values, it is implied that the significance of these values lies not in the fact that they help society, but in their being traditionally British. For a government which promotes multiculturalism, I find this rather surprising.

Another point is, if these are values to which we should all conform, then anyone of British ancestry should be just as bound by them as anyone of foreign origin. My ancestors have lived in England for many generations, and yet I myself do not value democracy as it is suggested that all Britains should.

I think my question here is this: Is this teaching of British values a sensible way to create a feeling of community and national identity, or is it an absurd system that aims to force values onto young people in order to make them conform to the governments ideal citizens?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It seems absurd to me, or at least the approach does.

I'm not sure exactly if there is such a thing as "British values", or what those values are. Whatever they might be, like you have said they are unlikely to be exclusive of Britain. :rolleyes:

Pointless exercise I think.
    fighting, chips, football, and tacky flags?

no thanks.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Old news?
    I think it's very British to not be able to define what exactly it means to be British, but still have a feeling that you are such.

Keep this contrived bollocks out of classrooms though.
    Isn't being British about queueing and getting the sunbed before the Germans?
    Culture is transient...it's not fixed.

However, there is a such thing as obeying the general views of a country.

Holding placards that say "Bomb Europe" does not obey Britain's "culture." Think that's what they're getting at.
    I think of been British in the same way as great British figures, William Pitt the Younger, Nelson, Wellington, Churchill, Alf Ramsey and Bobby Moore.

What they stood for...drinking, politeness, arrogance, never say die attitude, determination, Victory. *whipes away a tear*

My God British is really Best!
    drink drugs invade conquer own.
    eduacate impose ...and ...feel free.
    turlough wrote:
    Culture is transient...it's not fixed.

However, there is a such thing as obeying the general views of a country.
    Of course to do that, you have to assume that there is such as things as "the general views of a country".
    Of course to do that, you have to assume that there is such as things as "the general views of a country".

Yes most countries share the same general beliefs, especially towards the more hostile strands of Islam. Even secular Muslims hate these nutters.
    turlough wrote:
    Yes most countries share the same general beliefs, especially towards the more hostile strands of Islam. Even secular Muslims hate these nutters.
    The general population of any country tends to hate any sort of extremism, be it Islam, Christianity, Animal Right Activists, Paedophile Partys, whatever. That doesn't mean that a country can have certain values that are unique to the people of that country. In fact, I bet if you got every country to do one of these, they would all end up with the same values, along with maybe a couple of stereotypes from American films. Actually, that might be a good thing, then we'd realise that the normal people of each country are actually pretty much the same, and it's only the nobheads in power that want to distinguish between us.
    In fact, I bet if you got every country to do one of these, they would all end up with the same values.

No it wouldn't, most countries' cultures as it stands are completely disguinshible from other countries. It's hard to tell how exactly cultures are formed but they are certainly influenced by economic factors and environmental factors, along with music aswell. I bet every country in the world has their own unique sense of culture, and most people in those countries would feel at least a little threatened if their culture was being changed in a drastic way or if it was assimilating into other cultures as you said above.
    turlough wrote:
    No it wouldn't, most countries' cultures as it stands are completely disguinshible from other countries. It's hard to tell how exactly cultures are formed but they are certainly influenced by economic factors and environmental factors, along with music aswell. I bet every country in the world has their own unique sense of culture, and most people in those countries would feel at least a little threatened if their culture was being changed in a drastic way or if it was assimilating into other cultures as you said above.
    Yes cultures vary based on countries, because cultures are patterns of behaviour, which are influenced by laws, economic factors and plenty of other aspects which are unique to the country in question (i.e. the drinking culture in Britain could be attributed to the tradition of having weekends off, along with the law regarding when alcohol can be served, and the music that is popular in the country). However, the core values are individual, and not something that can be contributed to a particular country. However, don't let me stop you if you feel you can name what core values Britain has that are specific to it, and shared by everyone in the country.
    and shared by everyone in the country.

Having a culture doesn't mean everyone has to participate in it. It's a culture shared by many, not all.
    turlough wrote:
    Having a culture doesn't mean everyone has to participate in it. It's a culture shared by many, not all.
    That's culture though, not values. There's a clear difference. One is patterns of behaviour, the other is intrinsic moral viewpoints and personal qualities. I'm arguing that there are no personal qualities or common viewpoints specific to Britain or any other country.
    There are none specific to Britain but there are specific Western values, totally different than say the values of the Far East.
    Such as what?

(Going to bed now by the way)
    Manners for instance. We'd be more upfront with our manners whereas Far Eastern people would be much more humble.