Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quick question re: tax im confuzzled lol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey!

ok so technically im not a student now as ive just finished my degree but ive got myself a job or 2 for the summer only, so do i still have to pay tax ? surely i shouldnt because i havent used any of my personal allowance for this year yet, and if im correct ur allowed to earn around 4k without getting taxed no ?? just wanted to make sure coz every summer i seem to get taxed automatically and i have to fill out one of those p38 forms if i remember correctly lol :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    This year your personal allowance is 5035, Roughly 419 per month, so ask your employer for the P38 when you start (along with a P46) and you'll be fine as long as you dont go over that.

And .... FYI being a student has absolutely bollock all to do with it, its how much you earn that matters, also bear in mind we arent even two months into the tax year, so if your going to take up employment soon, you shouldnt fill in the P38 as you will be working for the best part of the financial year.
  • Options
    righty cool, am just planning to work for the summer so def wont go over my allowance... whats the p46 for ?

and im planning on working 2 jobs to total 35hrs a week so that wont make a difference will it ?
  • Options
    I could well be wrong, I'm no expert, but I'd imagine you'll be taxed if you're working 35 hours a week, then if/when you stop working after summer you'll be entitled to a rebate.

As I understand it, you get your yearly allowance, then they divide that by 12 to get your monthly allowance. Every time you go over your monthly allowance, they'll tax you. Obviously if you're only working for three months, then you won't go over your total yearly allowance so then you get it back.

It makes more sense than letting you earn tax-free til you've earned five grand, then taxing you to fuck on anything you earn after that.

Like I say, I'm not expert, that's just how I understand it, so if I'm wrong then anyone's free to correct me.