Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gerrard - Dive??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5033004.stm

So what do you reckon??

I was angry earlier in the game when the mini horsehead (Joe Cole) took a tumble in a decent position but he had already skinned the man. I wasn't so upset at Gerrard.

It was obvious no contact was made, but was it a dive?? Or was it a jump to avoid getting his legs broke by a reckless two-footed lunge??

I personally think he had to jump to avoid getting his leg broke but then slipped a bit of a dive into it aswell. It was an unusual one to call for the referee and I think he could be forgiven which ever way he had given it to be honest.

I think even though no contact was made it was still a foul following a disgusting attempted challenge which in a proper game could have easily had the man walking with a straight red card.

Opinions??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Oh not another diving thread. No doubt the thread will end up with all the Manure fans saying Arsenal are the biggest divers as usual.

But anyway back to the point ... was a good dive :D
  • Options
    It wasn't an intentional dive.
    And I am sure he got caught by the other players upper thigh.

That player was lucky he didn't get a yellow card...
    Joe Cole played well, so we'll forgive him... :)
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    Oh not another diving thread. No doubt the thread will end up with all the Manure fans saying Arsenal are the biggest divers as usual.
    I was worried about that :)
  • Options
    Players should be fined/banned for a few games for diving on purpose.
  • Options
    It was a dive, simple as.

Just because he's English, doesn't make it any different.

If it was against England in the finals the media and fans would be bleating for 2 years.
  • Options
    to be honest it looks to me like he dived to avoid been stretchered off the pitch for being seriously injured
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    It was a dive but it was also a penalty. It was a reckless two footed challenge.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Fucking sures it was a dive. And a very convincing one, you had to look at it from another angle to see it properly.

And did ya hear Ian Wright "it always happens to us, we deserve it sometimes too" or something like that! :lol:
  • Options
    Ian Wright was right, though. Scum like the fake Ronaldo do do it to us, so what's wrong with playing them at their own game?

I think it was a dive, but I also think it was a disgusting tackle and if Gerrard hadn't got out of the way we'd have seen our best midfielder with two broken legs. And if he'd got out of the way with the minimum of fuss that cretin of a ref wouldn't have given anything.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Ian Wright was right, though. Scum like the fake Ronaldo do do it to us, so what's wrong with playing them at their own game?

Because 2 wrongs don't make a right!
  • Options
    Ian Wright's a wanker who shouldn't be allowed near a studio.

Thank God his son didn't make the squad or we'd never hear the end of it. Daddy probably fucked up juniors chances by slagging off Sven anyway.
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Because 2 wrongs don't make a right!

It does if its against the Argies or Germans.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It does if its against the Argies or Germans.

Real mature...

"we only did it cos they are doing it?!" that doesnt sound childish either... :yeees:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Ian Wright was right, though.

No he wasn't. He underlined everything that is wrong with the game.

We should condemn cheating whoever does it, whether it's Ronaldo, RvN, Henry, Pires or an England player.

Remember, we still haven't heard the last of the Maradona handball and that was 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Wright's just jealous cos he never made it big on the international stage :)

Seriously though, he sounded like a right big child. Fuck him.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Real mature...

Oh come on, you seriously trying to say that if Wales beat England you wouldn't be cheering, even if it was a blatant dive in the last second?

Don't lie.

I'll condemn cheating, but two wrongs do make a right. Owen's dive in 2002 against the cheating Argies was right and proper, and any England player who doesn't cheat against them is to be condemned.

They do it us, get it back first. You don't win prizes by sticking to the rules and then whingeing when some fat Argy twat cheats to beat you.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh come on, you seriously trying to say that if Wales beat England you wouldn't be cheering, even if it was a blatant dive in the last second?

If it was an obvious dive or something i would admit it was.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    If it was an obvious dive or something i would admit it was.

Way to not answer the question.

You'd be giving it large and you damn well know you would be.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Way to not answer the question.

You'd be giving it large and you damn well know you would be.

I'd be happy we won but i wouldnt rub peoples faces in it.