Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Graphic images on cig packs from next year

13»

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:
    What does alcohol have to do with cigarette packet warnings? :confused:

If you follow the thread, people are asking why a dangrous drug like Alcohol is not plastered with warnings like ciggies are?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    If you follow the thread, people are asking why a dangrous drug like Alcohol is not plastered with warnings like ciggies are?
    Yeah I've read the thread thanks. Just wondering why you guys are after an all-or-nothing public health policy, and why one particular carcinogen cannot be targetted in isolation?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Agree entirely.

(shock horror! ;) )

It oddly happens occasionally. I even agreed with Teh the other day on something unconnected to America/Israel/Iran/etc. :p
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah I've read the thread thanks. Just wondering why you guys are after an all-or-nothing public health policy, and why one particular carcinogen cannot be targetted in isolation?

Because Alcohol causes far more problems that Ciggies but is being left alone. It just makes little sense.
    It oddly happens occasionally. I even agreed with Teh the other day on something unconnected to America/Israel/Iran/etc.

'S cos I am right.
  • Options
    Plainly, because if I cannot enjoy my drug of choice in peace and safe from police-bothering, I don't see why others should enjoy theirs. Especially when many of them want to stop me from taking what I want.

A bit off topic so I'll leave it there. But there is a genuine question of why we concentrate on one drug so heavily when we don't give much of a shit about the other.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Because Alcohol causes far more problems that Ciggies but is being left alone. It just makes little sense.
    Praps smoking is easier to deal with? Or more cost effective? Why does it matter?

Oh, and lung cancer is only one of a long list of diseases caused by smoking. Not that I deny the destructive potential of alcohol, but it doesn't seem relevant to the specific point made by the OP - are shock tactics useful?
  • Options
    I dunno, but as far as I can tell, the majority of smokers want to quit, and could use that extra bit of motivation. :p
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    'S cos I am right.

I won't be provoked. I'll just say America and Israel rock.
  • Options
    I won't be provoked. I'll just say America and Israel rock.
    Nah, Norway rocks. Harder than anyone. 'Tis Black Metal country.
  • Options
    Not according to the esteemed voters of the Eurovision song contest who went for a fellow nordic metal band

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5002798.stm
  • Options
    Yes. But Norway never enter their Black Metal talent.

Fucking props to Finland for that though, it was quite ace.
  • Options
    :lol: Eurovision is classic.
  • Options
    I think the difference with alcohol is that there is a threshold under which it is perfectly safe for most people to drink with it neither being harmful to themselves or others. This cannot be said for cigarettes.

But personally I would support warnings on alcohol, the phone number of Alcoholics Anonymous etc.
  • Options
    Most smokers I'd guess start at 14 or 15, if cigarettes were a bit harder to get hold of there'd be less fully fledged 15 year old smokers. These days it seems many places require ID for alcohol for anybody who looks under 21, adopt a similar principle on cigarettes and it'll make it harder for children to get addicted young.

Just to point something out..... everyone I know who is/was a teenage smoker (best friend, boyfriends brother and his friends, my various other accquantances, my cousins... a wideish range of people basically) all started smoking between the ages of 10 - 13. My mum and dad also started at 11/12, and I know the first time I tried a cigarette was around 12/13. I'm not meaning to start anything, just pointing out a discrepancy. That could just be Stafford though, many teenagers hate it so much here, they'd rather die younger [/bad inappropriate joke]

I agree with the Challenge 21 being applied to smoking though. If more places ID'd people, for things you can't buy til you're 16 (paracetamol, superglue etc as well as fags....), there would be less chance for teenagers to get hold of these things.