Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Neighbours interfering in house sale

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Maybe this is more of a rant than anything else.

My parents have been trying to sell our house, and as of last week sold it to a local couple who love the place (and this was after the house was on the market for a week). So the house has been taken off the market and we have a nice sold sign out the front gate.

My dad received a phone call today from the estate agents; apparently the neighbours from the bottom of our garden (who we don't get on well with at all) went into the estate agents and showed them all the council paperwork together with the complaints they made about the leyllandii trees at the bottom of our garden - a row covered by the BBC too funnily enough(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/3764310.stm). Summed up, from what I can gather (I kept well out of the argument - plus I was away at uni at the time), basically they were arguing about the height of the trees, and the trimmings/cuttings falling on their side of the fence, and the trees growing over onto their land.

Now we're hoping that this won't put off the buyers of the house, as my parents need this sale really, but it annoys the fuck out of me that those neighbours had the nerve to go into the estate agents (after having spotted our sold sign no doubt) and, whats seems to us, tried to either put our buyers off the house or put strain on the whole sale in general.

Just :mad:.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Take a shit through their letterbox.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They've got a high up box one that they have to go to the end of their drive for, and I don't have a step ladder.

Next suggestion?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Get some one taller to shit in their letterbox :p

I would be really tempted to tell them to fuck off and die the old cunts. But that really wouldn't help...

Would it be worth trimming the trees down if your going anyway to keep the geriatric cunts quiet?
    Silly old fools. Did it not occur to them that the new buyers might be more inclined to cut the damned things down than the neighbour they have been harassing for 20 years!
    Aside from what kentish said, which is probably true, your parents have a duty to disclose if you have any official disputes with your neighbours, and it's likely that the solicitors would probably have picked up on it anyway if that's the case.
    Tell them to do one, nosy cunts.
    As Mist says, you do have to disclose official disputes with your neighbours.

I would grow the trees a bit taller, hopefully the stress will give them both very long and painful heart attacks.
    Dispose of your dirty engine oil on their garden, flowerbeds, drive, etc. Or, for a more subtle assult, fill a watering can with water and tumbleweed, and water their garden for them.

A cheaper alternative is a couple of gallons of petrol. This will probably melt and destroy a plastic watering can though :).
    Kermit wrote:
    As Mist says, you do have to disclose official disputes with your neighbours.

I would grow the trees a bit taller, hopefully the stress will give them both very long and painful heart attacks.
    That's what a law degree teaches you these days.
    Cheers for the replies. To be honest I don't know the whole situation with it, the estate agents are aware and I think the solicitors are too (well, they are now at least if not before).

She's a mad greek bat anyway, she was loopy to begin with. Leylandii tree's do grow stupidly large, and yes we have made efforts to trim them down, but the arguments stemed from the cuttings falling on her side of the fence - and my parents even offered to go round and clear up the cuttings when it all happened. Now she just sticks all the stuff off them back through our fence.

She's got nothing better to do obviously.