Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

XP User Accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm using Windows XP home, and I want to make it so that users can only access the shortcuts that I place on the desktop. Is that possible? Or at least can I make it so that they can't delete my entire Programs folder, as currently seems to be the case. :grump: On Windows 2000, I can select individual folders and allow or deny individual users access to them, but I don't know how to do the same thing on XP.

Comments

• Options
    you should be able to right click on any folder, and in the security tab, define which user / user groups have what privilages, you'll just want to set them to "read" I suspect.

that said, I'm on XP pro, I dont know quite how much home differs from it I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Hmm, that's the thing. I can do it on Windows 2000, which is the equivalent of Pro. Hang on, I'll check whether I can do it on XP Pro.

ETA: Damn, I can do what I want on Pro. That's a bit of a pain in the arse.
  • Options
    well that sucks. there must be a way to do it in home... it's silly that they have things like that hidden to make things "easier"
  • Options
    I'm just reading a website which claims I can do it if I have Home Edition in safe mode. How do I get it in safe mode again?
  • Options
    pain in the arse that is, you would athought there was an obvious button. I think you can either bash F8 at startup (never works for me, i'm probably pressing the wrong button :lol: )

or in your start menue run... type msconfig, then in the boot.ini tab, select /safemode. then just restart your pc.

just follow the same process again and deselect it when you want to restart normally :)

(again though, this is with xp, hopefully it'll be similar with home)
  • Options
    Yeah that worked, but I still couldn't do what I was supposed to be able to. :grump: Cheers anyway.
  • Options
    XP Home only has basic security, it's one of the features of pro to have windows 2000 style security.

The safe mode thing should give you access to the tab. What couldn't you do?