Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moving to a new place

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How do you go about job hunting when you're moving to a new place? I might be moving to Manchester in september. The way I see it, there won't be many jobs advertised now that are starting in september, so obviously I'll have to wait closer to the time. But then I don't want to move there if I've got no job to move to. Do I just join a job agency or something that can get me temp work, til I can get a proper job or what? Any advice would be appreciated.

ETA: Also, it'd be a bit of a pain in the arse (not to mention expensive) to be going back and forth for interviews and stuff.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
    Well of course. I live about 2 1/2 hours away on the train. I have a friend down there already who's looking to buy a flat in September, and he wants a lodger for a year. He's also got a few TV contacts, which is what I want to do as a real job, but that sort of work isn't going to get you enough to live on by itself, especially at first. I've got an office job at the moment so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting something. But I don't want a job which will stop me doing unpaid stuff that will help my career.

The great thing about living with parents is that it's cheap, and my parents will always be willing to let me live for nothing if something came up that would really help my career. But the bad thing is that they live in the middle of nowhere, so there's no work around here. The other thing is that I will undoubtably need a car, which just makes it even more expensive. I don't have much of a clue as to how much it costs to run a car but I imagine it's not cheap (I'll be paying about a grand for insurance for a start).

I'm moving to manchester to help my career first and foremost, and there no point in going if I'll be spending all my time earning money just to live, I might as well stay at home. Might go for one of those graduate jobs, because unlike all the people graduating this year, I'll actually have a degree in September. :p

Anyway, just as a guideline, does anyone know what sort of salary I should be looking at to live in Manchester on?
    before i moved down south, i was looking for jobs down here while i was up north and nothing really came of it. So i basically gave up (not the attitude to have i know) so i decided to wait till i was down here, i found a job within 3 weeks of living here. I had worries about not finding a job before i moved, but in the i ddint need to worry in the end. Id say look, but if u have no luck, theres no need to worry. im sure u will find something when u have actually moved :)
    Well I have justed moved from Scotland to Derby and I am job hunting atm (got an interview tomorrow and have also been offered something) anyway I have been going through agencies but best to look way nearer the time. If you want any advice or anything pm me as I am going through the experience atm.