Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bush ally re-elected in Columbia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since Aladdin appears to only champion Latin American democracy when it's anti-American far-left elements gaining ground here's some refreshing news from the region.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19303544-23109,00.html

Wonder if he'll get the red carpet treatment from Ken?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Great four more years of Plan Colombia, more jungle burnt and sprayed with weed killer, thousands more dead in a stupid civil war largely funded on both sides by cocaine. Fantastic.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Hmm, he'll no doubt do a bundle of good as he has done so far.

I am sure the Facist Guerillas have opened the Champagne already and are waiting for the CIA to help them out some more.
    Well done to him. Close co-operation with the States is what the people want.
    luke88 wrote:
    Well done to him. Close co-operation with the States is what the people want.

No, what the people of Colombia want is to be rid of cocaine, and the biggest market for that is America.
    bongbudda wrote:
    No, what the people of Colombia want is to be rid of cocaine, and the biggest market for that is America.
    If that is their major concern they must have elected the right man to rid of this then.
    luke88 wrote:
    If that is their major concern they must have elected the right man to rid of this then.

Its worked well so far hasnt it, cocaine is virtually never sold in America or Europe anymore.
    Since Aladdin appears to only champion Latin American democracy when it's anti-American far-left elements gaining ground here's some refreshing news from the region.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19303544-23109,00.html

Wonder if he'll get the red carpet treatment from Ken?

Why exactly is that news 'refreshing'? :confused:

Is it because you think the man is the best for the job and for Colombia?

Or is it, as I suspect, because you're a neocon cheerleader and are happy to see puppet Presidents in place regardless of whether they are any good or beneficial to their people, just like Washington does?
    Aladdin wrote:

I'm not an expert on Columbian affairs although as I understand Uribe has had some success in curbing left wing terrorists, controlling right wing disbanded militas and tackling economic and social issues.

He's the first incumbent to be re-elected in Columbian history and 62% is pretty comfortable – what did Blair get? Columbians evidently think he's the best man for the job.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Or is it, as I suspect, because you're a neocon cheerleader and are happy to see puppet Presidents in place regardless of whether they are any good or beneficial to their people, just like Washington does?

Er, isn't that what Chavez is up to these days? Seeing puppet Presidents in place that is? - Why won't Uribe be good for Columbia?

If Uribe had been elected on an anti-American ticket and upon being re-elected promised to kick out American corporations and banish US interests you'd be applauding his victory.
    Lets just say you both have bias.

Aside from whether he's a great leader or not, America's involvement in Colombia as part of their war on drugs is making things more dangerous for the people and the enviroment.
    Er, isn't that what Chavez is up to these days? Seeing puppet Presidents in place that is?
    Chavez setting up puppet regimes? LOL!

How nice (and typical) of you to try to dismiss any democratic electoral result that returns a left-of-centre government Washington doesn't approve of...

There is only one nation in the world with the power and the resources to set up puppet regimes as you well know... It is the United States of America.

- Why won't Uribe be good for Columbia?
    I'm not saying he won't. Though seeing the approach he and Washington have towards the drug trade, I don't think he'll be much beneficial to anyone. But that is beyond the point. I still don't understand how his re-election is 'refreshing news'. Why is it so? He was the President to start with.
    If Uribe had been elected on an anti-American ticket and upon being re-elected promised to kick out American corporations and banish US interests you'd be applauding his victory.
    If he had promised to take back control his country's energy resources like others have done, then yes of course I would be applauding him.

That would be refreshing news. And it would be good for the people of Brazil. Corporations and their shareholders can go fuck themselves to be honest.
    Aladdin wrote:

:lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:

The champion of democracy doing exactly as expected, how could you fall into the stereotype so easily?
    Care to elaborate? :confused:

Is it because you think the man is the best for the job and for Venuezla?

Or is it, as I suspect, because you're a anti-bush cheerleader and are happy to see ex-coup leading Presidents in place regardless of whether they are any good or beneficial to their people, just like Aladdin does?

I've changed a couple of words, just to point out the irony...
    What irony would that be?

Chavez has been very good for Venezuela- fact.

And he has kick-started other countries taking control of their own resources and away from greedy, foreign corporations- fact.

That is refreshing.

So I'll ask again: how is it refreshing news that a President gets re-elected? The only way it could be considered refreshing is because the man in question is a neo-con ally in an otherwise increasingly left of centre continent. Nothing to do with the man's abilities or the wellbeing of Brazil.
    Brazil?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:
    Brazil?
    Braaaazzil!
    not to get into an argument with everyone on this thread, but...

Just because you claim something is a fact such as in relation to if an elected official or dictator is good or bad does NOT make it a fact. It is just your opinions of events!

This is to everyone posting, because everything is just our opinions when we make statements like that.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Brazil?
    Sorry, I'm in World Cup mode :rolleyes: . I meant Colombia.
    Aladdin wrote:
    What irony would that be?.

You don't recognise it??? That's really worrying.

Chavez has been very good for Venezuela- fact.

No - that would be an opinion
    And he has kick-started other countries taking control of their own resources and away from greedy, foreign corporations- fact.

Again - that's an opinion.

Facts are things like these

http://english.people.com.cn/200512/07/eng20051207_226299.html

Chavez plans legislation to keep him until 2030

or that he led a coup against a democratically elected Government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Venezuelan_coup_attempt_of_Hugo_Ch%C3%A1vez

Or perhaps the introduction of an enabling act which allowed Chavez to push through 49 decrees.

http://www.cidh.org/countryrep/Venezuela2003eng/intro.htm

Now my opinion is that given the above Chavez is not good for Venezuela and that he is following economic policies, which whilst great for political posturing to the left, have been shown to cause economic stagnation and the creation of longer-term poverty.
    That is refreshing.

That's one way to describe it - though 'refreshing' isn't a word i'd use.

So I'll ask again: how is it refreshing news that a President gets re-elected? The only way it could be considered refreshing is because the man in question is a neo-con ally in an otherwise increasingly left of centre continent. Nothing to do with the man's abilities or the wellbeing of Brazil

I can't see why it would be to do with the well-being of Brazil :D I'm guessing the Columbians aren't that bothered how well Brazil does or doesn't do

Perhaps the President of Columbia does care about his people's well-being and just thinks that left-wing policies which have failed elsewhere isn't the way to do it.
    NQA wrote:
    You don't recognise it??? That's really worrying.
    No, I don't recognise it. Because, believe it or not

1) I don't support Chavez blindly

2) The areas where I support him concern actions he has taken to redress the balance of power in important areas (such as energy resources).

So when I speak of refreshing changes, I speak of the first, and practically the only man who for all his faults has had the balls to stand up to greedy multicorporations and the mighty US government machine and said 'enough is enough'.

In that department he's infinitely more commendable than any other leader I can think of- though of course the man has many faults.

And I still fail to see how the re-election of a man is 'refreshing news'. It is not as if the opposition was the devil incarnate or if a life or death situation hung upon his re-election. The only 'refreshing' bit about it I can think of is that Dubya has still one ally in his backyard. And frankly I don't see what's to be celebrated about that.