Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

chemically straightening hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
okay does chemically straightening your hair work if you just have light wavy hair? or would I still have to use my straightener every day just as much...I was thinking about getting my hair straightened so that I wouldn't have to straighten it every day...I've been reading up on it a bit...and I know I need to use a deep conditioner at least once a week...and all this other hair care stuff...but I never read anything about if it would work with just wavy hair...I've just read about curly hair...help me please!!...I would like to know if I'm a candidate for this!!!...thanks...
PS. attached is the only picture that I could find on this computer of my hair...would chemically straightening work on that hair???...oh and I'm the one with the short hair and the green tie...that's my best friend Paige with me :hyper:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry, I dont know much about how it works and whether it works on wavy hair but I have lightly wavy hair and my hairdresser advised me not to do it because it really damages your hair.
    My sister in law - who alledgely has really terribly wavy and fuzzy hair - though i've never actually seen any evidence of this in the last 10 years. Has her hair chemically straightened and made really glossy and stuff using this japaneese treatment thing.

It looks really good and she doesnt' even have to blow dry it to get it straight and I dont' think it ruins your hair - well hers always looks great - however its not cheap I think its about £500 a go.
    Wyetry wrote:
    My sister in law - who alledgely has really terribly wavy and fuzzy hair - though i've never actually seen any evidence of this in the last 10 years. Has her hair chemically straightened and made really glossy and stuff using this japaneese treatment thing.

It looks really good and she doesnt' even have to blow dry it to get it straight and I dont' think it ruins your hair - well hers always looks great - however its not cheap I think its about £500 a go.
    but if you total it up, you'll probably end up spending that much on straightening serums/creams ect.
    Ballerina wrote:
    but if you total it up, you'll probably end up spending that much on straightening serums/creams ect.

:eek2: How much do you spend on straightening serum? I know I sure as hell don't spend that much!
    ^ Haha, ditto. I spent about £20 a year on haircare (minus shampoo/conditioner) so £500 isn't money saving. Plus, chemical straightening grows out as fast as your hair grows so you permanently have to have root touchups thus being an expensive routine to stick to.

Ilora x
    well for £500 it should last pretty long! I mean total it up over a long period of time. If you're that keen to have straight hair then it'll soon add up.
    Depends how long it lasts if its worth it or not.
    Yeah, but hair grows. Even if it lasts almost forever, the new bit coming out the top will need doing.
    Roots will always need doing. I think it is best to invest in a few products that work well and a decent pair of hair straighteners.
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    Roots will always need doing. I think it is best to invest in a few products that work well and a decent pair of hair straighteners.
    Yep. I agree with that...
    what about that new hairdryer thats been on tv recently? A new babyliss one that you use to straighten it while blow drying. Would certainly save alot of time and is probably better than running your hair through hot irons constantly.