Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Courier Delivery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm considering going to Uni in Sep/Oct only for a 1 year course which will really be like 9 months

BUT if I do then I'd want to save a bit extra cash...

I kinda like the idea of doing a bit of courier work cos I have a car that I never use and a GPS system that will take me whever I need to be .. and wouldn't mind see a few new places

Anyone ever do this kind of work?

Comments

• Options
    Id really like to do it in london, on a bicycle, im very good with remembering where places are once ive been there, and i have a very good sense of direction, i reckon with a hand help gps thing, i could do it on the sly from another job if i got one in london

though im sure id get arrested for terorising the footpaths, and if it was something like a road route thing, it would break at my insistance at travelling on non existant roads
  • Options
    If you are even slightly stressed then dont do it, I've done it in the past and its a hard way to make money. It can be pretty good money, especially in London but its a hard and really stressful way to make it.

Knowing your way around really isnt that important, though the GPS will help some what. Whats important is lifting, dealing with traffic, parking illegally and being really rude and quick.
  • Options
    If I were to do it (by car) I'd be more interested in night work as I think it pays more per hour and there's less traffic on the road and hence less stress
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If I were to do it (by car) I'd be more interested in night work as I think it pays more per hour and there's less traffic on the road and hence less stress
    Who wants a parcel deliveried at 3am - except maybe Pizza?!
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Who wants a parcel deliveried at 3am

rolly might have some suggestions on that one!
  • Options

Whose car? If its yours you'll have to change your insurance for work and that will cost you.
  • Options
    My sister was a bike courier in London, she said it was VERY HARD work and you got paid per delivery. She had to ride on very busy roads and go very far.

I don't see how car delivery would work very well as you would have to find places to park and it wouldn't be that quick.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I don't see how car delivery would work very well as you would have to find places to park and it wouldn't be that quick.

The trick is you dont find a space, you just park anywhere, be quick and hope you dont get a ticket.
  • Options
    Both of my brothers have worked as couriers all over the world - mostly on bikes but via car too. As bongbudda said, being fast and rude (neither of them have a problem with that one) are key... but in a strange kind of way you also have to be chilled out. You could always give it a try... I imagine it's something people love or hate, you can only discover you hate it and plumb the depths of loathing traffic wardens etc ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    but in a strange kind of way you also have to be chilled out.

Bingo! Very good advice, I've done it but I doubt I could do it long term, I'd have a heart attack within a couple of years.
  • Options
    Have you seen some of the bicycle couriers? They actually have a death wish. I've thought about being a motorbike courier just cos I would get to ride, but you dont get paid enough for the work really. (i.e. for the stress etc.)