Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Babies aborted for not being perfect

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    This thread is about whether is it acceptable to abort a fetus with arguably minor abnormalities beyond 24 weeks.
    Yes it is. And I was replying to Luke's comments which dismissed all abortions other than extreme cases as wrong, on the basis that otherwise it is "murder".

Sorry for derailment.
  • Options
    I understood what Aladdin meant but I'm not sure it is relevant in this particular debate. Often in abortion debates people use emotive language which isn't accurate to load their point of view.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Yes it is. And I was replying to Luke's comments which dismissed all abortions other than extreme cases as wrong, on the basis that otherwise it is "murder".

Sorry for derailment.
    We're used to it. Every time there's a debate about abortion, you come along and ruin it. The last time, you told me not to shove my views down everyone else's throat before you proceeded to do the same. Never mind what bloody words we use, otherwise we'd be here til the end of dawn. Talk about the issue, for crying out loud!
  • Options
    What worries me is that there has been so much progress in medicine which means premature babies are surviving earlier and defects which were once life threatening can now be treated, yet the number of weeks at which abortion can be carried out remains the same.

I am pro-choice and morally if a woman can choose to abort a 'healthy' fetus at that term then surely she has the choice to abort one with a 'defect'. I would argue however that the weeks at which this is available should be reduced unless there is serious risk of death to mother or child.
  • Options
    I ruined it? I wasn't addressing you or Kentish. I was addressing Luke's comments. Why didn't you leave my comments along instead of choosing to discuss them? That way we wouldn't have spent 8 posts so far diverging from the actual issue.

I think we should call it a day right here and return to the subject in hand so no further derailing occurs.

With regard to the subject in hand, it might be reprehensible to abort for minor defects, if that is indeed what happens. But at the end of the day it should be the woman's decision to abort, for any reason she might have. So long as this is done within the legal timeframe I don't see much of a problem.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I ruined it? I wasn't addressing you or Kentish. I was addressing Luke's comments. Why didn't you leave my comments along instead of choosing to discuss them? That way we wouldn't have spent 8 posts so far diverging from the actual issue....

With regard to the subject in hand, it might be reprehensible to abort for minor defects, if that is indeed what happens. But at the end of the day it should be the woman's decision to abort, for any reason she might have. So long as this is done within the legal timeframe I don't see much of a problem.
    All that fuss about words, and it turns out we're in agreement all along! :p I would strengthen that, however, and say that it IS reprehensible to abort a baby (oops, going to make a fuss about words again, are you?) simply because simply because of an extra finger.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont know if it is wise i comment, but the issue in hand is dealing with abortions over the legal time limit, the law states that an abortion can only be carried out. Section d of the Abortion Act 1967 states, 'that there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped'. Therefore the problem is surely as to whether the deformity could register as seriously handicapped, whether treatable or not. Each case must be decided seperately. I hope this makes sense, i just wanted to give my 2p!
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    I dont know if it is wise i comment, but the issue in hand is dealing with abortions over the legal time limit, the law states that an abortion can only be carried out. Section d of the Abortion Act 1967 states, 'that there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped'. Therefore the problem is surely as to whether the deformity could register as seriously handicapped, whether treatable or not. Each case must be decided seperately. I hope this makes sense, i just wanted to give my 2p!
    Well, exactly. We can't just make one set of arbitary rules for everyone here. As far as I'm concerned, every case to be decided on its own merits.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Down's syndrome is most accurately diagnosed at 18-20 weeks. Is this too late? Should abortions be allowed for these women?
    In my opinion, no. Any mother should love the child they have conceived no matter what.

I have a nine year old brother. When my Mum was pregnant with him, a cyst was detected on his forehead in a scan. They said it was likely he was going to be born with downs syndrome but they couldn't be 100% sure. My Mum was offered a late abortion. Of course, she said no. My Mum didn't care. Turns out, when he was born, the cyst was nothing (although he still has it on his forehead. it just isn't anything) and he was a healthy little boy. My Mum was willing to bring up my little brother even if he was downs syndome.

As for the cleft lip thing mentioned in the article, I know someone who has one. He is a lovely guy and has lived his life like any other person although of course, he's had operations and stuff. It annoys me that some women would consider aborting their babies over this when a baby suffering from a cleft lip could live a normal healthy life.

Also, in one of my old jobs, I worked with two people with downs syndome and they were lovely people. They had jobs, they had friends, they had a life. Why should that have been taken away from them?

I don't believe in abortion. I believe abortion should only be used in extreme circumstances, ie, if your life is at risk. At the end of the day, you should be willing to bring up any child you have conceived. As for those mothers who have accidently got pregnant, well, I believe that if you are silly enough to get pregnant, then you should be prepared to deal with the consequences.
  • Options
    BUt what is under debate is exactly those merits - to you the place the line is drawn right now is, in your own words, 'reprehensible' - whereas to parents and medical professionals it is acceptable.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I don't believe in abortion. I believe abortion should only be used in extreme circumstances, ie, if your life is at risk. At the end of the day, you should be willing to bring up any child you have conceived. As for those mothers who have accidently got pregnant, well, I believe that if you are silly enough to get pregnant, then you should be prepared to deal with the consequences.
    Wow. I must admit that reading that surprised me, Stace. I'd no idea you thought about it like that. It's practically the same way that my sister thinks of it.
    Jim V wrote:
    But what is under debate is exactly those merits - to you the place the line is drawn right now is, in your own words, 'reprehensible' - whereas to parents and medical professionals it is acceptable.
    If you look hard enough, you can find a medical professional that finds almost anything acceptable. Maybe I'm putting more focus on moral implications than the medical and scientific ones that doctors are paid to look at.

Just about everyone seems to agree that abortion laws are outdated - technology now is not the same as in 1967, by any means. Neither are the numbers having abortions. Frankly, that's a good thing - nobody wants a return to deadly back-street alley abortions. The problem is finding any kind of consensus at all. As we're seeing on this thread, there's virtually none there.
  • Options
    if these are being carried out after the regular legal limit, at which only medical reasons can allow, then the doctors should be done for malpractise, if this is being done before the legal limit, well you dont need a reason as such before so its fine
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why are you so worried about which word is used? To those of an anti-abortion or limited-choice persuasion, a fetus is a baby in terms of it representing a real human life. Fetus is a medical term, and is used by the pro-abortion or pro-choice types to depersonalise the whole arrangement. Both camps use the rhetoric to their advantage. This thread is about whether is it acceptable to abort a fetus with arguably minor abnormalities beyond 24 weeks.

which is a big :no: for me

designer babies are already allowed, a couple purposely had a kid that was a tissue match for his brother - im not even sure they wanted another kid, just some tissue for his brother
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Ever so slightly off the point, and I obviously respect your opinion, but listen to yourself! There are women out there who are raped and as a result become pregnant, thats there own stupid fault? People who use precautions which then fail, there own stupid fault? Maybe Im just being overly sensitive, but until you have been in a certain position you cannot possibly judge. choosing to abort is one of the hardest decisions any woman can possibly undergo.
  • Options
    which is a big :no: for me

designer babies are already allowed, a couple purposely had a kid that was a tissue match for his brother - im not even sure they wanted another kid, just some tissue for his brother
    Not sure how it's relevant here, but I don't think saviour siblings are yet legal in this country. Certainly the examples I know of involved parents seeking such treatments overseas.
  • Options
    if these are being carried out after the regular legal limit, at which only medical reasons can allow, then the doctors should be done for malpractise, if this is being done before the legal limit, well you dont need a reason as such before so its fine
    Joanna Jepson tried that. She failed.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    As for those mothers who have accidently got pregnant, well, I believe that if you are silly enough to get pregnant, then you should be prepared to deal with the consequences.

That's very compassionate, especially coming from an aspiring family lawyer.

God help us.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    Ever so slightly off the point, and I obviously respect your opinion, but listen to yourself! There are women out there who are raped and as a result become pregnant, thats there own stupid fault? People who use precautions which then fail, there own stupid fault? Maybe Im just being overly sensitive, but until you have been in a certain position you cannot possibly judge. choosing to abort is one of the hardest decisions any woman can possibly undergo.
    That is why I worry so much about abortions. This year, 200,000 babies will be aborted. 200,000 women will have that decision on their minds for the rest of their lives. But you raise an incredibly important question. Let's say a woman is pregnant, due to the result of rape, or some incestuous activity. I know, this is incredibly dark stuff, but bear with me. Would I support an abortion in those circumstances? Personally, yes, I would. But as a man, I realise my input on such a question is likely to be very limited.
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    I'm talking about women who know full well what they are doing when they have sexual intercourse with a man unprotected then yet fail to do anything sensible about it, ie, take the morning after pill. Some women nowadays use the option of abortion as contraception which annoys me a great deal.

Here we are talking about women who want perfect babies.

I can judge as I have been in this situation before if you must know. I was pregnant when I was 18 years old. I didn't intend to get pregnant. I was on the pill. Somehow, it failed. I miscarried. Still, till this day, I think about that baby I lost and about how things could have been. I would never ever have had a abortion despite the fact, it wasn't my fault I got pregnant and despite the fact it wasn't right for me at the time. I would have made things work out somehow. I just could never ever have got rid of something so special. I know a few teenage Mums that got pregnant that have done a wonderful job.

As for girls being raped, I don't quite know how I feel on that matter as I've never been in that situation. However, after losing a baby of my own, I don't think I would ever have it in me to abort my own child, no matter who the father was and how that child was conceived.

I'm just giving my personal opinion on the matter love, I'm not making any digs at anyone in particular.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    I'm talking about women who know full well what they are doing when they have sexual intercourse with a man unprotected then yet fail to do anything sensible about it, ie, take the morning after pill. Some women nowadays use the option of abortion as contraception which annoys me a great deal.
    Women who go out on drunken nights, have sex with guys they've only just met, and fall pregnant, for example. I wouldn't have much sympathy with any woman in that situation. I'd just look at the man and woman wondering how they could have been so stupid.

As for claiming there are women who see abortion as merely another means of contraception, I have no idea how widespread a view this is, but whatever the answer, it's a damning indictment of the society we live in.
    I can judge as I have been in this situation before. I was pregnant when I was 18 years old. I didn't intend to get pregnant. I was on the pill. Somehow, it failed. I miscarried. Still, till this day, I think about that baby I lost and about how things could have been.
    My mother had a miscarriage back in 1986. 20 years on, she still wonders what could have been. I suppose the memories of carrying a child will always be with a woman, no matter what happens during the pregnancy.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:

I can judge as I have been in this situation before if you must know. I was pregnant when I was 18 years old. I didn't intend to get pregnant. I was on the pill. Somehow, it failed. I miscarried. Still, till this day, I think about that baby I lost and about how things could have been. I would never ever have had a abortion despite the fact, it wasn't my fault I got pregnant and despite the fact it wasn't right for me at the time. I would have made things work out somehow. I just could never ever have got rid of something so special. I know a few teenage Mums that got pregnant that have done a wonderful job.

As for girls being raped, I don't quite know how I feel on that matter as I've never been in that situation. However, after losing a baby of my own, I don't think I would ever have it in me to abort my own child, no matter who the father was and how that child was conceived.

I'm just giving my personal opinion on the matter love, I'm not making any digs at anyone in particular.

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage Stacey.

You raise some important issues, abortion is such an emotive subject and I believe that is why a concensus cannot be reached here or in government. I also think that the vast majority of women who choose termination do not do it lightly and I am sure they will think about their potential child for the rest of their lives.

IMO the time limit should be reduced in line with medical progression. I believe all women have the right to decide if they wish to terminate whether their fetus is healthy or not, however not in the current time allowance it should be much lower.

Perhaps the question here is at what stage a fetus becomes a baby and when that baby becomes entitled to rights. Because where do we draw the line, do the people who disagree with abortion disagree with the MAP too?
  • Options

But abortion is birth control in that it controls the number of births. Before you continue to use such sweeping statements, consider that from the age of 12 or earlier, to the menopause, if a woman has sex, she may become pregnant. Now, *you* happen to believe that if she has sex and becomes pregnant, she has a duty to carry that pregnancy to term. I don't, because I don't believe pregnancy should be treated as a punishment. Also, not everyone is suitable to take hormonal contraception.

Are you reading something I'm not? Have you actually spoken to these women on an individual basis?

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you miscarried and that choice of your intented pregnancy was taken away from you. No woman should have to go through that. But it still doesn't put you in the situation where you can judge women who have aborted for reasons of abnormality - it's not their fault that women miscarry, or that couples who so want a baby have to go through IVF etc. I also know people who were teenage mothers, and they made great mothers because it was *their* choice, and they weren't forced to carry to term.

Whatever you feel about abortion, please bear in mind that until you have been in that situation, you don't know what you'd do. I see plenty of women at the clinic who tell me how passionately pro-life they once were - until they had an unplanned pregnancy to deal with.
    Perhaps the question here is at what stage a fetus becomes a baby and when that baby becomes entitled to rights.

I believe that personhoods and the rights and protection of citizenship are bestowed at birth. I don't deny it's human before then, of course it is, but I believe that so long as it's in the woman's body, she has the final say. The current legal limits give a certain degree of protection to the foetus after 24 weeks, but if someone is determined to abort, there's nothing to stop a woman from travelling to other countries where it is legal.
    do the people who disagree with abortion disagree with the MAP too?

Some I know do, some don't. I've often been told I'm a ruthless woman for 'flushing out' my babies because I have an interuterine coil. Interestingly enough, an article was recently published suggesting that the 'rhythm method' discards of more embryos than the pill/coils etc.
  • Options
    I have to agree with go_away. If a woman gets pregnant you can't just go ''oh, you got pregnant - live with it'' Abortion is not a nice thing to go through...she may have been raped, or contraception failed - is that her fault? And if she was stupid enough to not use any and she still wants one, well thats her decision.
    And for things like downs syndrome, she may feel like she couldn't cope with the baby and doesn't want to go through giving birth then having it adopted or whatever. As long as its inside her, it's up to her what happens with her body.
  • Options
    And if she was stupid enough to not use any and she still wants one, well thats her decision.

But some pregnancies that have been terminated were planned ones, so the couples in question obviously didn't use contraception. This doesn't make them stupid, but a lot of people would assume that because they didn't use any to begin with, that makes them irresponsible harlots. I very much doubt anyone would go up to a pregnant woman carrying to term, find out it wasn't planned and call her names under the sun by the assumption that she wasn't using contraception, so why should it be different in pregnancies that are terminated.

I think it was Stargalaxy who asked earlier, regarding contraceptive usage, the AGI's stats are as follows:
    Fifty-four percent of women having abortions used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Among those women, 76% of pill users and 49% of condom users reported using their method inconsistently, while 13% of pill users and 14% of condom users reported correct use
    Forty-six percent of women having abortions did not use a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. Of these women, 33% perceived themselves to be at low risk, 32% had concerns about contraceptive methods, 26% had unexpected sex and 1% were forced to have sex.
    Eight percent of women having abortions have never used a method of birth control; nonuse is greatest among those who are young, poor, black, Hispanic or less educated

Why not get angry at those circumstances in the last sentence, rather than the women themselves?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Not to be pedantic or anything but you cannot abort a "baby". There is no baby to be aborted.

Not to be pedantic or anything but you cannot "murder" a foetus.
    Judging by this then, the process which the sperm hits the egg... a few days later... you don't class this as a baby? Nor do you class a baby if it hasn't been born?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    How can the anti-abortionists be taken seriously or even deserve proper debating if they can't even speak in factual terms?

No abortion is "murder". No aborted foetus is a "baby".

As long as we are all clear on that we can have a rational debate.
    I haven't seen any abortionists yet. Those are people who refuse abortion in any circumstances.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    luke88 wrote:
    Judging by this then, the process which the sperm hits the egg... a few days later... you don't class this as a baby? Nor do you class a baby if it hasn't been born?

Well, mr, do you eat Eggs? Do you call it a chicken feotus or a chick when you cook it and eat it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well, mr, do you eat Eggs? Do you call it a chicken feotus or a chick when you cook it and eat it?
    I'm trying to be as simple as possible.
  • Options
    To me it becomes a baby when it has a chance of survival if born early.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    I haven't seen any abortionists yet. Those are people who refuse abortion in any circumstances.

Hmm, I thought 'abortionist' was the term used by pro-'lifers' to describe the OB/GYNS who perform abortions.