Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

trying to get a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've been looking very hard since january and i have only been offered one job which i couldn't do because it was in the middle on no where and there were no fixed hours.

i've given out over 100 CVs, and heard nothing.

i have improved my CV as well and taken people's advice and i have been activly looking for work.

i have got experiance working as a waitress, plus all my grades are good, and i speak another language. there are plenty of jobs, so could someone please tell me why i'm not getting anything?

i have been applying for both part time and full time work, plus i have said that i will do almost any hours...

any ideas? it doesnt help that almost all the jobs are at one place (lakeside) as my area has virtually no trade at all going on and is just houses

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    have you tried the job centre?

supermarkets?
    Temp agency?
    well, i was going to say maybe you need to improve your interview skills but from your original post it doesnt sound like you've even been called for interviews. is that right?
    i agree with that lucifer said- if you havent tried the job centre, then try it. they should be able to help you. or even just go on their webiste and search for jobs.
    the job centre won't help me because i'm not "unemployed" basicly, i'm looking for a job to keep me going through the summer between school and college and their computer system is useless.

the local supermarkets don't seem to ever have anything when i ask, and the local temp agency told me to sod off. litrally.
    Might be because of your age?
    the job centre websites ok... it always gives me loads of results, not all of them match what im looking for but a fair few do. although, whenever ive used it im searching for jobs in a big city, its probably different if you're only searching a small area.

this summer ive hopefully got a job working in a nursery- have you tried places like that? or holiday clubs for kids?

is there no way you can work at lakeside then?

and what are your friends doing? do any of them have jobs? maybe they could ask where they work if they need anyone over the summer.
    just because the supermarkets don't have anything when you go in doesn't mean t hey won't in a few weeks time. i'd reccomend sending your CV into the personnel dept of the supermarkets them you know it gets to the right person. then they'll keep you on their records for X number of months.