Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dying hair

When I go home next weekend my Mum is helping me to do my hair. I'm naturally dark brown. I'm bleaching and dying part of it bright colour (pink, purple, blue - depends what I fancy/can find in town). Only problem is, my hair is sort of reddy colour at the moment, remnants from past colouring. It will look weird if I leave it as it is, then dye it, because red+pink/purple/blue will look rather terrible.

So my question: will I be ok to do a brown box dye all over it, to get rid of the red (and for a 6-8 week dye, its been holding up well for a good 3-4 months, so leaving it to fade isn't working) and then bleach and recolour it next weekend? I'll only be doing it the same colour as my hair is naturally, so when it grows through it will look normal.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done that before, i dont see why you cant, as long as you give your hair some time in between which your planning on doing anyway :thumb:
    so long as u bleach and then dye, the red should go. i had a really bright red on and i have dyed over with a dark brown 4-5 times and the red is still showing through, but where i bleached and had pink in it, it is still brown, so i am thinking of bleaching all over and then putting a brown on to get rid of the red. but i think u have to leave about two weeks between both dyes.
    if you're planning to bleach a chunk, i personally would avoid dying that bit. you can put the brown over the rest of your hair, although red - (especially semi-permanent red, oddly) is stubborn as hell, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if after dying brown it still had reddy tinges.

with careful separation (and an extra pair of hands) you could bleach your chunk and dye the rest of your hair at the same time.
    get this: http://www.manicpanic.com/flash_new.html

does a brilliant job. plus the dyes from this company are great too and are very bright and last a while.
    kaffrin wrote:
    if you're planning to bleach a chunk, i personally would avoid dying that bit. you can put the brown over the rest of your hair, although red - (especially semi-permanent red, oddly) is stubborn as hell, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if after dying brown it still had reddy tinges.

with careful separation (and an extra pair of hands) you could bleach your chunk and dye the rest of your hair at the same time.

Shite. I've already done it now :|

Hopefully will be ok though. If I look like a prat or something goes a bit wrong I shall be wearing hats for a while.
    Shite. I've already done it now :|

Hopefully will be ok though. If I look like a prat or something goes a bit wrong I shall be wearing hats for a while.

it won't make you look stupid. it'll just make it a little harder for the bleach to lift the colour, so you might have to bleach a couple of times and condition lots more.

no biggie :)
    you should be ok! goodluck!